Long time lurker here

My name is Heather, and I'm 40 years old. My year goal is to lose 85 lbs. My short term is to get under 200. My huge motivation is being a good role model for my overweight 10 year old son. I can't expect him to make healthy choices if I'm not. Looking for friends who are or have been in my boat.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Hi long term lurker, welcome!
  • IreneAnn13
    IreneAnn13 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi Heather! Wishing you the best luck, I know the struggle all to well lol
  • JTlivez
    JTlivez Posts: 72 Member
    Good luck! I'll try and give you some encouragement whenever I can!
  • puttingGodfirst
    puttingGodfirst Posts: 6 Member
    Welcome fellow lurker Heather!! We got this hun!!
  • doodlekakes
    doodlekakes Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you! I think it will help me to actually involve myself in the community.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    good luck you can do it.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Welcome and best of luck.. I too was in your situation and went on to lose 90 pounds.. You got this Heather!!! :)
  • RonPrague
    RonPrague Posts: 11 Member
    I've got a 9 and 13 year old myself (and two older girls in their late 20s) and while I've always been big, I was still super active when the older girls were younger, in the last few years though I've become much more sedentary and it's really started to reflect on our younger kids.

One of my main motivations is the same as yours, set an example for my children, show them their parent being happy and motivated about being fit and eating right.

Good luck doodlekakes!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Welcome to the forums! Feel free to add me if you would like :)
  • doodlekakes
    doodlekakes Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks to all of you. I am definitely going to add you. I hope you don't mind me looking through your diaries! It's so helpful to me.
  • smileybru8298
    smileybru8298 Posts: 10 Member
    Feel free to add me. I'm 43 and have 11 year old twins and also want to be a good role model.
  • pbryan66
    pbryan66 Posts: 6 Member
    Good on you, long term lurker, for setting an example for your son. Please feel free to add me. I lurked for an entire generation, but as an oversized granny, I'd love to show my son and grands that we can change our habits into a healthier lifestyle.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Hi Heather! Welcome to MFP, Wishing you the best luck :) Feel free to add me.
  • amber0o
    amber0o Posts: 11 Member
    I'm typically a lurker here as well, but I'm starting to reach out of my comfort zone. Kudos to you for wanting to be a role model for your son!