Gaining weight while exercising

Options
StarvingAuthor
StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all,

I don't use MFP to count my calories (I use a stand alone program). I weigh everything by the gram with a scale that measures in .5g increments.

Anyway, eating ~1400 calories a day (sometimes more, sometimes less) I was consistently losing weight (went from 122 to 114 in a matter of weeks; note, I am short and small framed).

I began exercising and keeping the same dietary patterns I went up to 118 and now I'm at 120.

I'm doing high rep body weight exercises (Ross Enamait). Any idea what is going on?

P.S. I suspected there was a calorie thief in there so I restricted more, which should have made me lose a least SOMETHING (I've ballooned up!) but that day I just maintained 118.

My typical diet consists of:

Breakfast
2 Cups of Coffee
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp cream

Lunch
4-6 Large Eggs
(Maybe a little soy sauce or ketchup on top)

Dinner
Vegetables of some kind
Rice

Snacks
20-calorie-a-piece Gum

So this is essentially a 1400 calorie day. Like I said, sometimes I'll have more (a homemade roll, maybe some salad dressing on the rice), but my calories rarely top 1600 (not to say that I don't have very heavy days, but I try to make up for it by restricting the following few days little by little to make up for it - e.g., 100 calories off monday-wednesday, etc.)

Is this normal because I just started exercising? IDK what's up. It freaks me out because I really don't want to eat 1,200 calories.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just to add, if you over analyze your weight every day you are going to drive yourself insane. Most people fluctuate from day to day, track your trend over time and try not to let any single weigh in get to you. The more you mess with things based on one weigh in the more inconsistent your weigh ins will get and you will be left lost and frustrated.
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!

Will the water weight my muscles are retaining go away, or is this going to be a continuous thing as I put on more and more muscle? Should I cut sodium to try to limit the bloat? I look all puffy haha.

Thanks again!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You neglected to mention a time frame or scale.
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options

I've been exercising for quite some time (six+ months?) with a few dry spells (few day breaks here and there). I just started this new routine about a week ago (MUCH harder than my previous one which was a combo of P90X and lifting exercises recommended online). I try to exercise 6 times a week but at least 3 (day 1 - core, day 2 - legs/glutes, day 3 - arms/chest, day 4 - core, day 5 - legs/glutes, day 6 - core/arms, day 7 - stretch/rest). I do some of the same exercises on the duplicate days (e.g. I do core 3x/week and always incorporate sit ups) but I try to throw other ones in for variety and to target different areas associated with the region.

I also dance 6x/week for several hours, so I just count that as my cardio (it's not really organized or disciplined enough to consider a solid routine....but I hate cardio so I lie to myself and make up for my lack of serious cardio by doing speed squats, ha).
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options

I've been exercising for quite some time (six+ months?) with a few dry spells (few day breaks here and there). I just started this new routine about a week ago (MUCH harder than my previous one which was a combo of P90X and lifting exercises recommended online). I try to exercise 6 times a week but at least 3 (day 1 - core, day 2 - legs/glutes, day 3 - arms/chest, day 4 - core, day 5 - legs/glutes, day 6 - core/arms, day 7 - stretch/rest). I do some of the same exercises on the duplicate days (e.g. I do core 3x/week and always incorporate sit ups) but I try to throw other ones in for variety and to target different areas associated with the region.

I also dance 6x/week for several hours, so I just count that as my cardio (it's not really organized or disciplined enough to consider a solid routine....but I hate cardio so I lie to myself and make up for my lack of serious cardio by doing speed squats, ha).

And you're netting 1400 calories? or total consumption 1400 calories...

Even for a short petite person, 1400 calories +/- exercise is a setup for disaster at some point.

Total consumption - I don't have a heart rate monitor so I'm not sure how many calories I burn while active. I don't sweat a ton (except for when dancing) so I usually just assume I'm not burning many calories. Is this wrong? D: I'd love to eat more! lol

Awhile back, maybe a year or so, I was exercising daily and eating 1,400 calories: I went from 120ish to 108, then I went through a crazy move that I did basically by myself, went down to 104lbs while eating about 1,800 calories a day. After the movie I went down to 1600 and started gaining. It seems like I have a really small area to work in calorie-wise.

While doing P90X I was eating around 1,600-2,000/day and was holding steady at 122lbs (pudgy for my build).
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options
    Sweating is not an indicator of how many calories you are burning. It's your body's cooling system. I have a friend who doesn't sweat at all even while going all out in a high intensity step aerobics class.

Oh, damn! That is awesome to know, thank you!!!!

I envy your friend, though. :P
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!

Will the water weight my muscles are retaining go away, or is this going to be a continuous thing as I put on more and more muscle? Should I cut sodium to try to limit the bloat? I look all puffy haha.

Thanks again!

bump
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options
    Sweating is not an indicator of how many calories you are burning. It's your body's cooling system. I have a friend who doesn't sweat at all even while going all out in a high intensity step aerobics class.

I was thinking about this and I started wondering...when you exercise you are burning more calories than your body's fault, right? Well, I assume that the word burn is used because heat is involved. If you are sweating, aren't you burning more calories than someone who isn't? Could it be possible that your friend isn't burning as many calories as you are, even if you're doing the same routine, because your friend is more in shape and that exercise routine is less effective for them?

Idle thoughts.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

I was thinking about this and I started wondering...when you exercise you are burning more calories than your body's fault, right? Well, I assume that the word burn is used because heat is involved. If you are sweating, aren't you burning more calories than someone who isn't? Could it be possible that your friend isn't burning as many calories as you are, even if you're doing the same routine, because your friend is more in shape and that exercise routine is less effective for them?

Idle thoughts.

That's not how it works. Heat regulation, sweating etc is different from person to person. It has nothing to do with one burning more or less calories than the other
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Idle thoughts.

That's not how it works. Heat regulation, sweating etc is different from person to person. It has nothing to do with one burning more or less calories than the other

As a nervous sweater, I sure wish it worked that way - I'd be losing weight by the bucket just sitting in job interviews! :wink:
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    First couple of weeks to a new exercise program usually I gain or my loss slows down. My body retains extra water to compensate for the "damage" in my muscles. Then it either gives me a bigger than normal drop or returns to a more normal loss rate.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hey all,

I don't use MFP to count my calories (I use a stand alone program). I weigh everything by the gram with a scale that measures in .5g increments.

Anyway, eating ~1400 calories a day (sometimes more, sometimes less) I was consistently losing weight (went from 122 to 114 in a matter of weeks; note, I am short and small framed).

I began exercising and keeping the same dietary patterns I went up to 118 and now I'm at 120.

I'm doing high rep body weight exercises (Ross Enamait). Any idea what is going on?

P.S. I suspected there was a calorie thief in there so I restricted more, which should have made me lose a least SOMETHING (I've ballooned up!) but that day I just maintained 118.

Breakfast
    2 Cups of Coffee
    4 tsp sugar
    2 tsp cream

Lunch
    4-6 Large Eggs

Dinner
    Vegetables of some kind
    Rice

Snacks
    20-calorie-a-piece Gum

So this is essentially a 1400 calorie day. Like I said, sometimes I'll have more (a homemade roll, maybe some salad dressing on the rice), but my calories rarely top 1600 (not to say that I don't have very heavy days, but I try to make up for it by restricting the following few days little by little to make up for it - e.g., 100 calories off monday-wednesday, etc.)

Is this normal because I just started exercising? IDK what's up. It freaks me out because I really don't want to eat 1,200 calories.

this is not directly related to your question, but how much protein are you eating in a day??? doesn't look like much - just the 4-6 eggs day????
  • StarvingAuthor
    Options
    Hey all,

Breakfast
    2 Cups of Coffee
    4 tsp sugar
    2 tsp cream

Lunch
    4-6 Large Eggs

Dinner
    Vegetables of some kind
    Rice

Snacks
    20-calorie-a-piece Gum

this is not directly related to your question, but how much protein are you eating in a day??? doesn't look like much - just the 4-6 eggs day????

I am pretty bad with protein; I am at 17g today so far (180g carbs). I basically do CICO, but I am in love with carbs (filling + energy, for me - protein leaves me wanting more and more). Day for day, I think this guy averaged less protein than me (could be wrong): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it#latest and he had amazing gains. Is exercising for muscle pointless w/o more protein? Many days I get ~36g protein, which IK is ~1/2 of what I read I should be getting. Is it really that critical? Let me know. Steaks here I come, if so.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hey all,

Breakfast
    2 Cups of Coffee
    4 tsp sugar
    2 tsp cream

Lunch
    4-6 Large Eggs

Dinner
    Vegetables of some kind
    Rice

Snacks
    20-calorie-a-piece Gum

I am pretty bad with protein; I am at 17g today so far (180g carbs). I basically do CICO, but I am in love with carbs (filling + energy, for me - protein leaves me wanting more and more). Day for day, I think this guy averaged less protein than me (could be wrong): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it#latest and he had amazing gains. Is exercising for muscle pointless w/o more protein? Many days I get ~36g protein, which IK is ~1/2 of what I read I should be getting. Is it really that critical? Let me know. Steaks here I come, if so.

It's that critical, particularly when you're in a calorie deficit or doing lots of exercise (especially strength exercise).

Oversimplifying, your exercise breaks down muscle in order to rebuild it. Your body needs protein to rebuild the muscle. There are two ways it can get protein: From intake, or by breaking down muscle. You're not getting enough in your intake for your lifestyle.

At the same time, you're eating fewer calories than you burn, so you will burn fat (to some extent) or lean tissue (which includes muscle) to make up the deficit. Usually, it's some of each, but as you get closer to goal weight, there's less fat on your body and limits on how much you can metabolize daily for each pound you have. With your high level of activity and fairly low level of eating, you may have a higher deficit and could burn more lean tissue.

IMO, you're on a very bad course. Granny sez: Please increase protein. Dramatically. A minimum of 0.6g per pound (yes, i mean pound not kg) of goal weight, IMO, and up to 1.0-1.2g per pound of goal won't hurt a healthy person.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For many of us, consistent vigorous exercise is a great way to get the "stair step" weight loss effect. It's like we hold on and hold on and hold on to weight, and then it wooshes out in one big step. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Focus on longer term trend - it does all work out over time - if consistency is maintained.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!

Thanks again!

Don't worry yourself about the "bloat". The water is there for a specific purpose, and you should be glad that it's there to help repair your muscle. Why would you want it gone? Other than for the scale reading you're looking for?
    Hey all,

Breakfast
    2 Cups of Coffee
    4 tsp sugar
    2 tsp cream

Lunch
    4-6 Large Eggs

Dinner
    Vegetables of some kind
    Rice

Snacks
    20-calorie-a-piece Gum

This does not look to me like anywhere near 1200 calories...I would guess maybe half of that, but you haven't told us portions either.

In any case, you reference a lot of activity....so I don't think you will need to restrict to 1200. Your fluctuation day to day will likely be far greater than your fat loss goal for a week. For example, I'm up 4 pounds this week despite eating in a deficit. But my workouts are starting to get tougher (weights) and my water retention is doing its thing. I have not eaten 14,000 calories above maintenance in the past few days.

Don't worry about a couple of pounds of water retention. It'll drive you nuts day to day and there's very little you can do to control it. Not to mention that you shouldn't really try to control it anyway unless you have an edema problem. Natural fluctuations are nothing to be concerned about.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Breakfast
    2 Cups of Coffee
    4 tsp sugar
    2 tsp cream

Lunch
    4-6 Large Eggs

Dinner
    Vegetables of some kind
    Rice

Snacks
    20-calorie-a-piece Gum

I had the same experience as you.
    I was losing fine for a year. I stopped losing after I started lifting and lost nothing for 4 weeks while on a deficit.
    I started losing once I stopped lifting but the missing weight (the deficit I had accumulated during the 4 weeks) didn't come off.
    I'm a scientist and this makes zero sense to me.