Belly fat?

Options
Idk if this is the right board to post on but I needs help.

I'm 128
5'7
And with alot of belly fat.
How do I get rid of it? Or tone it for abs?

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're a man or a woman but as a woman I can say the very last place(s) that lean out for me are my lower belly and thighs/glutes. I think this is the case for many women :smile: If you are leaning out, keep doing what you're doing and start lifting... body re-comp as another poster mentioned. Be patient, it'll happen.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You're at a good weight for your height, so perhaps it's time to start strength training! Stronglifts 5x5 and Strong Curves are good starting points. :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

I'm 128
    5'7

You are at an ideal weight for your height. Do you have pictures to share? Your idea of "belly fat" might be another persons idea of a little pudge or you are likely pinching an inch and think that's a lot. I look 7 months pregnant on any given day, that's belly fat!
  • minstine
    minstine Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same size as you. The only thing that helps me is to not eat carbs. My weight doesnt flucuate but my belly will go down if i don't eat carbs.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OP is male.

@UnknownMasta It appears that what you want to do is called "recomp". Search for that in the discussion fora.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I'm 128
    5'7

A male with that height and weight needs to focus on not losing more weight, but lifting and eating adequate protein. Although it sounds crazy you may need to gain about 10 pounds and maintain the higher weight while lifting since you could have a harder time adding muscle at such a low BMI. You may also want to consult with a doctor since you are on the low side of the BMI scale.
  • leopardessa
    leopardessa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For someone your height, you are quite trim so I would not say you would have to do a whole huge weight loss routine. It sounds like you just have to tone up with some planks or crunches. Are you sure it is fat and not just bloating? I thought I had loads of fat in my belly and it turned out to be digestive issues causing bloating.
  • UnknownMasta
    UnknownMasta Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Check my profile pic for picture
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    That's not belly fat. That's just the shape of your belly. Not everyone is shaped like an ironing board.

If you want to change the shape of your belly, your only option is to try and strengthen the muscles. If you try to lose fat from where you are now, you will lose muscle and end up too thin. It won't achieve what you want.
  • UnknownMasta
    UnknownMasta Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oh what are good mustle workouts and good protein foods or shakes
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    To get my stomach in shape, I do a lot of core workouts. Surprisingly, yoga and cardio seem to be my best combination.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of an expert but lots of people here are. You might get good responses if you repost the question on the 'Fitness and Exercise' forum.
  • tiina5704
    tiina5704 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did figure 8 fitness for 8 weeks with the nutrition plan and exercises and lost 21.5” in total and it’s the only thing I have found which reduced belly fat considerable quickly. My before and after pics.
    I should get motivated to do the last bit lol but as I got to my ideal weight etc I have been lazy. I’m 5’2” and 48 kg now but no visible abs as more BF needs to go
    i2ghmsrt05wm.jpeg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I'm 128
    5'7

A male with that height and weight needs to focus on not losing more weight, but lifting and eating adequate protein. Although it sounds crazy you may need to gain about 10 pounds and maintain the higher weight while lifting since you could have a harder time adding muscle at such a low BMI. You may also want to consult with a doctor since you are on the low side of the BMI scale.

This OP. You are going to need to pack on some muscle. Based on that stats, you are fairly low weight for your height, which means you dont' have a good muscle base. What this means, you will probably need to do a few bulks/cuts to get the flat stomach/abs that you want. It's actually quite common of an issues.

To get there, eat a small surplus (250 to 400 calories) and follow one of the beginner programs in: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options

I'm 128
    5'7

Looking at your diary you are eating way too little. Not enough protein. Not enough anything. You're not going to deficit your way to abs unless you have decent muscle mass. You will eventually burn yourself out and lose muscle mass with such little food intake (I made the exact same mistake). Get lifting and eat more. You can add in cardio to minimize fat gain.

Good luck.