running while fat?? I so want to do this ya'll. Possible?

Options
I'd like info on the larger runners in the group or those with 75 or more to lose. I walk ALOT. I Kettle ALOT. I lift weights ALOT. I want to incorporaterunning but not exactly sure how. I am carrying about 75 extra pounds but I can move like nobody's business. Where do I start?? :embarassed: :noway:

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You probably should start with some intervals walking/running. Try the Couch to 5k program (C25K). You are already walking and doing well with it, so start incorporating some jogging intervals with it.
  • rainvc
    rainvc Posts: 142
    Options
    I am 245 right now and I'm 3 weeks into couch to 5k. GREAT program. Its challenging, but doable. I recommend you start there!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'd recommed the treadmill to get started since running is already hard on the joints.
    Once your muscles get stronger, the road is all yours!!

Good luck!! :)
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You may find this thread interesting :) Have at it!!!! You'll do just great.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/295051-from-obese-to-marathoner
  • rjyoung
    rjyoung Posts: 17
    Options
    I started running with about 100 lbs to lose! You can definitely do it! I used the C25K program...it is fantastic; I highly recommend it! And it is so motivating how I keep getting faster as I lose weight! I just keep thinking how great running is going to feel when I finally get rid of all this extra weight! Good luck to you! =)
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ooo...i would love to run too.
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'd like info on the larger runners in the group or those with 75 or more to lose. I walk ALOT. I Kettle ALOT. I lift weights ALOT. I want to incorporaterunning but not exactly sure how. I am carrying about 75 extra pounds but I can move like nobody's business. Where do I start?? :embarassed: :noway:

I paid money to join running groups before. Below are the run break downs. I like option 1 better

Running Option 1 (Easier for me)
    1 1 min on 1 min off x 5
    2 2 min on 1 min off x 3
    3 2 min on 1 min off x 3
    4 2 min x 4
    5 3 min x 3
    6 3 min x 4
    7 5,4,3
    8 4x4
    9 5 min x 3
    10 10, 5
    11 6 min x 3
    12 6 min x 3
    13 10 min x 2
    14 10,8,5
    15 10 min x 2
    16 12,6,6
    17 10,5,5
    18 12 min x 2
    19 20
    20 Run 3 min + circuit (jumping jacks, lunges, squats, side leg raise, quick step, arms, calf raises)
    21 30 min total running time
    22 Run to carillon point and back

Running Option 2 (Seemed to move quickly)
    1 Run 1 minute
    2 3 min on 1 min off x 5
    3 40 min walk with hills
    4 Run 4 min on 1 min off x 4
    5 Cross Training – 45 – 60 mins biking, hiking etc
    6 Run .5 mile
    7 4 min on 2 min off x 5
    8 35 min walk/jog with hills
    9 Run 5 min on 1 min off x 3
    10 Cross Training – 45 – 60 mins biking, hiking etc
    11 Run 1 mile
    12 5 min on 2 min off x 4
    13 35 min walk/jog with hills
    14 Run 6 min on 1 min off x 3
    15 Cross Training – 45 – 60 mins biking, hiking etc
    16 2 mile run
    17 6 min on 1 min off x 4
    18 40 min walk/jog with hills
    19 20 min jog
    20 Cross Training – 45 – 60 mins biking, hiking etc
    21 2.5 mile run
    22 20 min jog
    23 40 min walk/jog with hills
    24 20 min jog
    25 Cross Training – 45 – 60 mins biking, hiking etc
    26 2.5 mile run
    27 30 min jog
    28 30 min jog
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was still 40 or so pounds overweight, it not only helped me lost more weight but it was the best workout! I agree with Couch 2 5K, it's what I used and I ran my first mile without stopping in my entire life last July! Now I regularly run and I do 5K races. I'm also within 10 lbs of a healthy weight now. Just take it slow, if you're using the treadmill don't feel like you have to dial the speed up to 6.0 mph. My comfy running speed on the treadmill is only 4.7 or 4.8 mph. I can run as slow as 4.5. It helps to work on running longer rather than faster.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others... couch to 5k is wonderful! There's a plan online or apps that you can get for your phone. Either way it slowly builds you up and it's fun!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!! and strap down your jubblies :) but seriously, why not!? If you are interested and love walking way to be!!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    First, get fitted for a really good pair of running shoes. Go where they really know what they are doing.

Second, (I'm assuming you are female from your handle) invest in a really good sports bra.

Third, start with a fast walk/jog and build it from there.

I started with 5 minutes walk, 2 minutes jog, 5 minutes walk, 2 minutes jog and it worked well. I'm now up to 5 walk, 5 jog and am averaging almost 6mph. Not bad for a fat girl.

You can do this!
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    Let me jump on the C25K bandwagon. I started back at my heaviest (about 285 pounds) when I was in absolutely lousy shape. I was actually so out of shape that even 60 seconds of jogging left me winded.

I've now run a 5K, an 8-miler, and am signing up for several new races (and even contemplating a half marathon). I've lost 80 pounds and am feeling great.

DON'T LET YOUR WEIGHT STOP YOU!!! I'm sure I looked nasty to anyone who saw me on the treadmill or out on the street. But oh well. Good luck!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I started running was I was still 300+lbs so it can be done. Started with interval running on the treadmill, working at getting endurance up one week and speed on other weeks. I ran/walked (2/3 ran) my first ever 5k back in June. Just make sure you listen to your joints. Best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    C25K Program is great. There is a C25K app for your phone that tells you when to run and when to walk. Also as a person with a lot of skin left.....body armour shirt one size to small. It will keep stuff in place and keep the jiggle to a minimum. I wouldn't run without mine.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I started running 2+ years ago at 230 lbs... since then I've lost 70 lbs.
    I've ran about 15 5ks, an 8k, 10k and even ran my first half marathon this past spring. I am currently training to run 2 more half marathons this fall!

Friend me if you'd like!

I also agree that C25K is a great place for info! It's a wonderful program and exactly where I started when I wanted to run.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Big people run too! I'm proof of that. I don't run very fast, even when being chased, but I do run. It's already been suggested but I'll reitarate: C25K is awesome!
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a weightloss goal of 105 lbs, currently down 35. I started running about a month ago - you can totally do it! I never in my wildest dreams thought I could, but I AM. Sounds like you have a good start. I walked the treadmill dailiy for about a 6 weeks and got so bored so I took a big gulp and gave it a try.

I have been following the 5K101 podcasts.
    http://runningmatemedia.com/5k-101/

basiclly an 8 week training program for running a 5K, you can download it on itunes. Love it , but if you don't like that one just google couch to 5 K or look on itunes, tons of free training podcasts on there. I tried a couple before I found this one I like. I start Week 5 saturday.

You will be amazed at what your body is capable of, if you just push yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Teresa
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm at 245 pounds right now and I have been running for 6 weeks. I'm very slow, I started by running 1 mile. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I had tried in the past and could not run. But like you I had been working out for a while and just wanted to see. The first time I did a mile it took me 19 minutes. I kept it at 1 mile for about 3 weeks and got my time down to 16 minutes, then increased to 2 miles for 1 week and just started 3.5 mile this week. It takes me 1 hour and 6 minutes to do 3.5 miles, which is down from 1 hour and 10 minutes the first time I did 3.5 miles. I stoped worring about how long it took to run that first mile and am just tring to decrease my time on the 3.5 miles. I run the entire time. I wear a HRM and keep my HR at 140 to 155. It does get up to the 170-175 range on the last miles when I'm tring to "push it" and with hills. I never thought I would be able to do this. I can't say I love it right now but I can say that it feels great and I'm hooked. My plan is to get up to 4 miles and then decrease my time. I run 3 to 4 days a week and lift weights 3 days a week. Good Luck Just take that first step. If I can do this anyone can do it, and I really mean that. Just Go for it. :happy:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I think I have more than 75 pounds to lose and I am half way through C25K. Just "ran" for 20 minutes this week. This program starts out slow and works up. You would probably do it even better than I have from what it sounds like to me. I am not even sure I wanted to run just wanted to step up my walks and had heard intervals were very effective. Now I am getting to really look forward to my "runs". I mostly have a slow jog right now but it is getting to be more like a run now and then. I realized I could do this when I was able to make it through an hour Zumba class. You definitely can do it. I have been concentrating on running the minutes rather than the distance. You can always repeat hard days on it. I was just trying to add some intervals into my walk myself and then thought why not follow a tried and true program. Good luck and I would love to hear how it goes. I am in a C25K group here and we accept new members. I really enjoy hearing about everyone else's progress. With every exercise it is important to go at your own pace. I think yours will be faster than mine. Like you I had been doing quite a bit of exercise so I sort of think of it as a Walk to Run 5K rather Couch 2 5K. so it is really meant for everyone. Good Luck. If you do feel free to add me if you want.
    Keri