Calorie Deficit and still not losing weight

Options

Replies

• fiercefit76
    fiercefit76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This was my face when you said 1400 calories. :'(

But then I saw you ate freely on the weekend. Thankfully you know where to make changes.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This was my face when you said 1400 calories. :'(

But then I saw you ate freely on the weekend. Thankfully you know where to make changes.

Except that he's not losing weight. But yes, 1400 for a male is :'(
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    You know TO, logging acurately is rocket science. I'm a bread addict. I eat a lot of bread over the day. My bread comes in at 44 grams per slice and 104kcal per slice according to the packaging. I eat 5 slices per day. This morning I put all the slices on my scale to prelog my breakfast and lunch at work. Those slices were 56, 46, 48, 52, 47 grams. That's 29 grams more bread than I'd planned to eat, or 69kcal extra. Now this might not seem a lot. But what if I just guessed the butter I put on the bread? That's an extra 9kcal per gram of butter. This does add up.

Your cup of paleo, it will never be the same, and you don't know what's the definition of one cup. It might actually just be half a cup. It certainly is not up to the rim.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    You know TO, logging acurately is rocket science. I'm a bread addict. I eat a lot of bread over the day. My bread comes in at 44 grams per slice and 104kcal per slice according to the packaging. I eat 5 slices per day. This morning I put all the slices on my scale to prelog my breakfast and lunch at work. Those slices were 56, 46, 48, 52, 47 grams. That's 29 grams more bread than I'd planned to eat, or 69kcal extra. Now this might not seem a lot. But what if I just guessed the butter I put on the bread? That's an extra 9kcal per gram of butter. This does add up.

Your cup of paleo, it will never be the same, and you don't know what's the definition of one cup. It might actually just be half a cup. It certainly is not up to the rim.

Yes! This can of protein powder I have says 1 scoop (28g). I would weigh it rather than just rely on the scoop. There are some great YouTube videos that show someone measuring something in a measuring cup then weighing it - the results are eye opening.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yes! This can of protein powder I have says 1 scoop (28g). I would weigh it rather than just rely on the scoop. There are some great YouTube videos that show someone measuring something in a measuring cup then weighing it - the results are eye opening.

My protein powder says one scoop is 28 grams, but when I weigh it, it's always 38-41 grams.

And here's one of those videos...

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here are some things to try. They always seem to help me.

First off, you have to try and fine tune the intake and calories burned as the guide set here is very generic. No two people burn the same way. Go into the history and find an era where everything was working smoothly. Compare your actual weight loss when you ate all your calories to the amount projected to lose.

To figure out if your portioning and calorie counting are tight, go out and eat some preportioned food for a week.

Sometimes I would hit a plateau. What I would usually do is take a week to eat at a maintenance level, then go back to the deficit. Over the course of 3-4 weeks it would work itself out and I would be totally back on track.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ishmael81 wrote: »
    I've lost about 30 pounds on keto. The friend who recommended it stalled at one point too and recommended eating more than your allotted carb count to restart your body a bit. Maybe a baked potato or some fruit or... just anything to change your body chemistry a bit to see what happens.

you dont restart anything and if you eat more carbs you will retain some water due to that so that can mask weight loss as well.
  • michelsakr
    michelsakr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You might have a secondary PISS syndrome, your body might have lost water recently and stocking those back.. the body can burn a maximum amount of fat per day so there is a limit of how much fat you will burn in a month. If your body lost 8 pounds of water at the beginning of the month and now you got them back you will see a stall, similarly your muscle mass might be building up too.. you might be cheating also a day or two are enough to tip the scale and build up water .
    1 month stall is not an indicator keep up logging and you will see results, your goal is to lose weight or to lose and maintain the ideal one with a proper lifestyle? If the latter then patience is key .. our body is too complex to be translated to a figure on the scale :)
    Good luck
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    noirelb wrote: »
    1) I think he is fasting, he only has one HUGE meal per day
    2) Ounces are just as precise as grams. You are thinking of liquid ounces like measuring cups. My mother's food scale (super expensive and she is a cook) can weight food per ounce or gram. 1 ounce is 28grams when it comes to solid foods. (not saying the OP actually knows this or doe it right)
    3) OP...literally ALL weekends aren't logged as previous per son said. Are you potentially eating 3000+ calories on both days?
    4) Have you considered having 3 meals and not fasting to see if your weight changes?

no oz are not as accurate as grams...and you explained why...there are 28 grams in an oz so it might say 3 oz and really be closer to 3.5 or 4.

weighing food in grams is more precise...that is just common sense...smaller units mean more precise.

*slaps forehead* oh my. I cannot. A kitchen scale measuring to a tenth of an oz vs 2.8 grams is not the reason for anyone not to lose weight.

nope not once but over the course of time added to the other inaccuracies in his logging it will and your response indicates that lots just don't get how to accurately log.

hence why I indicated other items as well...

Logging accurately and consistently using a food scale and correct entries is one of the easiest ways to ensure you will lose the weight you want....instead of posting "help I am stuck"
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    corazombie wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your posts... yes i dont log the weekends because its when i spend time with family and loved ones and i really have no control over what we are eating those days, so just stick to keto but i dont fast those days unless i know we're having a huge meal that evening... as far as the grams and ounces thing, some of the things im logging dont give me the option to choose oz or grams, i try to keep my meals simple for this same reason, less chances for error... like the ketomeal, it only comes with the scoops option, BUT it says each scoop is 85 grams.. so i measure it as im sccoping it into the cup so i know its exactly a scoop.. thats what i meant when i said i was strictly logging... i dont think in leaving stuff out that adds 1000 calories without knowing... im not a rocket scientist but i think im smart enough to measure out food correctly.. yes, yesterday i just threw 25oz on there yesterday for rotisserie chicken but thats because i was unable to weigh the chicken, i went off of the number i had gotten last week when i took a chicken of very similar size and shredded it up then weighed it so i could get a more accurate number... then i added a little more weight to my guess because id rather over estimate than under estimate... sometimes its just not possible to break out the scale...

I have been working hard at putting on muscle and its definitely showing more, the scale hasnt moved but my body is showing changes, i havent measured myself but i will start.

I will start eating at maintenance and see how that goes and then go back to a deficit. And since we're on the subject... whats maintenance? 2100 cals? Mfp says 1950 cals.

And according to fitbit, which i know can be not so accurate, each day at the gym i burn over 1k cals and thats on a bad day. Im getting that number from the actual workout logs not the number i get at the end of the day..

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply... i appreciate all the insight and suggestions

IF you are weight lifting and using a fitbit then the calories are going to be highly exaggerated due to the arm movements. fitbits should only be used for steady state cardio. fitbit is going to log all your exercise outside of being sedentary .The thing is with fitbits you can do the same thing day to day and your calorie burns will be different. I know mine are. just for example. one day I can get 15000 steps and it will say I burned 600 calories,another day I can get less and it will say I burned more/less. if you arent losing weight then you are either in a stall or something in weighing and logging is off (aside from a possible health issue). I was 209 when I started and was eating over 2000 calories and losing weight,I was sedentary at the time too. Im only 5'6 1/2 and a female. will be 43 in a few days.

what is this ketomeal stuff you talk about? are you doing regular keto? and yes even the scoops can be way off as well. but yeah if you dont log due to weekends due to family meals it could mean you are wiping out any deficit you do have by eating more because you cant weigh it., trust me some foods are calorie dense so its very hard to guess at it. I was like you at one point and stopped losing weight and then gained half of it back,difference was I wasnt weighing food. I was using measuring cups and info off the packages. once I started weighing everything everyday I started losing again. but I noticed if I had a cheat meal or had takeout or whatever it would slow my loss,but I would just estimate everything. a lot of it was due to high sodium in foods like that.

that part is not true actually.

esp if you have a new model. I just moved my arm (with my new Charge2) 20x no steps.....it is now based on vibrations from walking.

Not saying that the calorie burns aren't a bit off...not sure if I totally believe mine yet.

any of the fitness trackers are supposed to be used for steady state cardio(unless it has other types of stuff built in some do). I dont know about the charge 2 because I dont own one. but even if its not tracking the arm movement its still not going to be accurate as its not steady state cardio. It would probably be better to take it off while lifting and log those burns separately(which we all know lifting doesnt burn a lot of calories-compared to cardio)

not so much actually ...that was for heart rate monitors not activity trackers.

I have the new charge 2 and it has a weight lifting setting so I did a 10 min session last night of bench (deload week) and it logged 37 calories...and that is not based on my Heart rate.

but you are correct lifting doesn't burn a whole lot in comparison to cardio but it still burns.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I bought some wholewheat noodles the other day. The package said they were 275 grams. Before I got a food scale, I would have accepted that at face value, maybe added an extra 10-20 grams to be on the safe side.

I got home and weighed it, and it was 340 grams. That's a difference of 65g, which added an extra 108 calories to the meal I was preparing, and an extra 54 calories to my own personal intake, which I wouldn't have accounted for.

It's crazy how far out the weight on packaging can be.

100% agree. My breakfast of choice is usually a protein bar and a cup of coffee. Rarely do they ever weigh the same amount of grams stated on the package. My 200 calorie protein bar is usually 230 to 260 calories. That is a huge difference and that's only one item in my entire day. People severely underestimate how much this adds up and how useful a food scale can be.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your posts... yes i dont log the weekends because its when i spend time with family and loved ones and i really have no control over what we are eating those days, so just stick to keto but i dont fast those days unless i know we're having a huge meal that evening... as far as the grams and ounces thing, some of the things im logging dont give me the option to choose oz or grams, i try to keep my meals simple for this same reason, less chances for error... like the ketomeal, it only comes with the scoops option, BUT it says each scoop is 85 grams.. so i measure it as im sccoping it into the cup so i know its exactly a scoop.. thats what i meant when i said i was strictly logging... i dont think in leaving stuff out that adds 1000 calories without knowing... im not a rocket scientist but i think im smart enough to measure out food correctly.. yes, yesterday i just threw 25oz on there yesterday for rotisserie chicken but thats because i was unable to weigh the chicken, i went off of the number i had gotten last week when i took a chicken of very similar size and shredded it up then weighed it so i could get a more accurate number... then i added a little more weight to my guess because id rather over estimate than under estimate... sometimes its just not possible to break out the scale...

I have been working hard at putting on muscle and its definitely showing more, the scale hasnt moved but my body is showing changes, i havent measured myself but i will start.

I will start eating at maintenance and see how that goes and then go back to a deficit. And since we're on the subject... whats maintenance? 2100 cals? Mfp says 1950 cals.

And according to fitbit, which i know can be not so accurate, each day at the gym i burn over 1k cals and thats on a bad day. Im getting that number from the actual workout logs not the number i get at the end of the day..

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply... i appreciate all the insight and suggestions

IF you are weight lifting and using a fitbit then the calories are going to be highly exaggerated due to the arm movements. fitbits should only be used for steady state cardio. fitbit is going to log all your exercise outside of being sedentary .The thing is with fitbits you can do the same thing day to day and your calorie burns will be different. I know mine are. just for example. one day I can get 15000 steps and it will say I burned 600 calories,another day I can get less and it will say I burned more/less. if you arent losing weight then you are either in a stall or something in weighing and logging is off (aside from a possible health issue). I was 209 when I started and was eating over 2000 calories and losing weight,I was sedentary at the time too. Im only 5'6 1/2 and a female. will be 43 in a few days.

what is this ketomeal stuff you talk about? are you doing regular keto? and yes even the scoops can be way off as well. but yeah if you dont log due to weekends due to family meals it could mean you are wiping out any deficit you do have by eating more because you cant weigh it., trust me some foods are calorie dense so its very hard to guess at it. I was like you at one point and stopped losing weight and then gained half of it back,difference was I wasnt weighing food. I was using measuring cups and info off the packages. once I started weighing everything everyday I started losing again. but I noticed if I had a cheat meal or had takeout or whatever it would slow my loss,but I would just estimate everything. a lot of it was due to high sodium in foods like that.

esp if you have a new model. I just moved my arm (with my new Charge2) 20x no steps.....it is now based on vibrations from walking.

Not saying that the calorie burns aren't a bit off...not sure if I totally believe mine yet.

any of the fitness trackers are supposed to be used for steady state cardio(unless it has other types of stuff built in some do). I dont know about the charge 2 because I dont own one. but even if its not tracking the arm movement its still not going to be accurate as its not steady state cardio. It would probably be better to take it off while lifting and log those burns separately(which we all know lifting doesnt burn a lot of calories-compared to cardio)

I have the new charge 2 and it has a weight lifting setting so I did a 10 min session last night of bench (deload week) and it logged 37 calories...and that is not based on my Heart rate.

but you are correct lifting doesn't burn a whole lot in comparison to cardio but it still burns.

well of course it still burns calories any activity will. its good to know that fitbits have improved(I still wont buy another one once this one dies lol)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

just did an experiment I have the charge HR and was lifting stuff and doing bicep curls and it was counting each movement as like 6 steps (curl up and down 2 reps each). while I was standing in place.so seems either mine or the older ones do use arm movements as steps. crazy
  • SezxyStef
    Options

just did an experiment I have the charge HR and was lifting stuff and doing bicep curls and it was counting each movement as like 6 steps (curl up and down 2 reps each). while I was standing in place.so seems either mine or the older ones do use arm movements as steps. crazy

Yes I have a non fitbit one that does the same thing but that meant things like push mowing didn't "count" or pushing a stroller...I think they all got that and made some changes...

I know with my new fitbit (bought in march) that it actually asked which arm are you wearing it on and which one is dominant....and I figured it out one day one the treadmill as I walked I watched the steps go up and my arm was not swinging...it's a good thing.