Rotator cuff tendinitis

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
Not sure where to post this???

Anyone have this? How did you get it to heal? What kind of stretches do you do? How long till it goes away?

Any ideas in exercises that I can still do besides lunges and squats? Everything seems to needs arms besides walking, lol

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you made an appointment with a physical therapist yet? I did and it as the best money I ever spent. Totally worth it.
  • lin7604
    Options
    No I haven't. At first I just thought I slept funny but the last 2-3 days it's gotten worse. Today is the worst.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    You've had a doctor's diagnosis?
  • lin7604
    Options
    No. I assume that's what it is by my symptoms.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    You should get an appointment with a doctor before trying to fix this yourself. You could make it worse.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Tendinitis is inflammation or irritation. Stretching doesn't really reduce inflammation. Ice and ibuprofen would be better, if that's what it is.
  • lin7604
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Tendinitis is inflammation or irritation. Stretching doesn't really reduce inflammation. Ice and ibuprofen would be better, if that's what it is.
    How long does that usually take? It seems to of gotten worse so quickly. I just need some relief. I will make a appt but I have a feeling they will wAnt more which means me taking time off to get X-rays or whatever and go figure I just had a day off for a appt. so won't get any more time off
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    For me, it took two months for left shoulder to get it to feel better through PT. The right shoulder has never really improved. I did not get any PT apointments on my right shoulder because I did not get a second. Hindsite and all. Now I need total shoulder replacement on my right.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking an anti-inflammatory? Not sure what's up with my shoulder but a couple of Voltarin really helped.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »

Anyone have this? How did you get it to heal? What kind of stretches do you do? How long till it goes away?

Any ideas in exercises that I can still do besides lunges and squats? Everything seems to needs arms besides walking, lol

Last year I developed terrible, painful tendonitis in my arms and shoulders because of a reaction to an antibiotic (Levaquin). It lasted 4-5 months. Resting my arms and shoulders or doing as little as possible with them worked best for me. It was very frustrating, but I feel lucky to have gotten through it without tendon rupture.

My doctor was clueless. I basically had to treat myself. I just felt better after doing as little as possible and also read online what other people with this drug reaction have done.

I took extra magnesium the first month (there's a limit to how much you can take -- I think 250 mg, can't remember). I don't know if it helped or not.

The only exercise I did was walking, jogging, and the stationary bike. I didn't carry heavy bags of groceries, etc.
  • lin7604
    Options
    I did.
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    Have you tried taking an anti-inflammatory? Not sure what's up with my shoulder but a couple of Voltarin really helped.

Yesterday it seemed to really help, today not at all. It's like my arms dead. Very weak, numb and the pain.... I'm going to see if I can get into quick care tomorrow night
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Yep, go to urgent care. Let us know. Ok?
  • lin7604
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »

Last year I developed terrible, painful tendonitis in my arms and shoulders because of a reaction to an antibiotic (Levaquin). It lasted 4-5 months. Resting my arms and shoulders or doing as little as possible with them worked best for me. It was very frustrating, but I feel lucky to have gotten through it without tendon rupture.

My doctor was clueless. I basically had to treat myself. I just felt better after doing as little as possible and also read online what other people with this drug reaction have done.

I took extra magnesium the first month (there's a limit to how much you can take -- I think 250 mg, can't remember). I don't know if it helped or not.

The only exercise I did was walking, jogging, and the stationary bike. I didn't carry heavy bags of groceries, etc.

Ugh so long... so not looking forward to this. Bi figured it was a quick thing as I have no idea how it Even developed. I thought I just slept funny. But don't get why it's getting worse each day.? I was just getting back on track and now my exercise is very limited! Everything seems to need upper body. Even walking today bothered it.
  • lin7604
    Options
    ur
    Yep, go to urgent care. Let us know. Ok?

I have no urgent care near me. I live out of the city. So the nearest town has a quick care clinic which is just like a walk in.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    What ever it is called, just go.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    yup, go and try your best not to move the arm much until you get there. rig up a sling if you can to take the strain off the whole shoulder joint. it'll feel more comfortable that way and whatever is causing the pain will also be less vulnerable to further damage.

if it's getting worse and worse, that's a case for rest imo.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I hurt my shoulder last September. I finally saw a doctor 6 months later because it was worse, not better. He sent me to PT, and the physical therapist I had made it much worse. I'm not sure if that would have happened with any PT, but the one I had was pretty aggressive with my shoulder. The only positive part of PT is that I learned to place a pillow under my arm while sleeping, which reduced the aggravation to the shoulder through the night.

Next step was to get an MRI, which showed a torn rotator cuff tendon. These do not get better or heal on their own, but require surgery which completely immobilizes the arm for 6 weeks, and doesn't heal completely for 6 - 12 months. Those who have the surgery say it's worth it.

I'm hesitating on the surgery because my shoulder has gradually become less painful and more limber over the last 3 months. It's tolerable to do day to day activities, but not exercise. Since I make my living as a pianist, surgery is out of the question for the time being. I would probably miss 2 -3 months of work and can't afford that right now.

My advice: See an orthopedic dr. who specializes in shoulders and ask for an MRI before letting a physical therapist touch you! Doctors don't like to recommend particular physical therapists usually, but ask if any other patients have given good reports about a particular therapist, and the dr. might pass that along to you.

Keep icing and good luck!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I did.
    kimothy38 wrote: »

Yesterday it seemed to really help, today not at all. It's like my arms dead. Very weak, numb and the pain.... I'm going to see if I can get into quick care tomorrow night

I just read all your posts more carefully, and the fact that your arm is weak, numb and painful might suggest a pinched nerve in your neck. I had this too about 11 years ago and it was misdiagnosed for over a year. I was being treated for tendonitis but it was a compressed disc in my neck. After a few months of gentle traction on my neck, the arm pain vanished. Finding the right doctor is so important! You really have to insist on quality treatment and don't be shy about speaking up for yourself. I hope you find the right answers and begin healing.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Ugh so long... so not looking forward to this. Bi figured it was a quick thing as I have no idea how it Even developed. I thought I just slept funny. But don't get why it's getting worse each day.? I was just getting back on track and now my exercise is very limited! Everything seems to need upper body. Even walking today bothered it.

I should have written this before. My tendonitis problem might have been different from yours since mine came from a medicine reaction.

See a doctor if you haven't done so. I hope your doctor is more help than mine was to me. I was in pain for weeks and then it slowly got better, but your situation might be different.

I would ask for tests to find out if you've torn something. Some insurance will ask for PT before they will pay for an MRI. Just be careful until you know what's wrong.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would second what @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink said above. Get it seen to by a physio. If you are working out at the moment, hold off doing anymore until you see a physio. I had this last year. Went to a physio who gave me good stretches to do. Took a while to fully heal and thankfully it has more or less. I still do the stretches most days for overall shoulder/rotator cuff health.