Calling all runners 45 and older

Options
Hi I'm 48 and just started running after a 20 year hiatus, I have just started wk3 d1 of c25k, and had to quit and take a break because of a strained muscle in my thy and shin splints. I plan to start over in two weeks. hopefully with fewer injuries. Id love to hear your hopes, struggles, success stories and motivation.:smile:

Replies

• jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, and I used to hate running. Over the last 6 months I've been running pretty regularly, to the point where I actually enjoy it. I've been limiting my runs to 3 miles, usually on a treadmill. As time went by, I would increase my speed. Now I typically run the first mile at 6 mph, the second at 6.5 mph, and the third at 7 mph. The last tenth I will sprint at 9-10 mph. I will also occasionally run 3 miles outside, time permitting.
    I actually went really crazy the other day and ran 4 miles just for fun. Not a problem at all.
    Good luck with your recovery.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am not 45 but close (43) lol
    I have been dabbling with walk/run intervals for a few weeks now
    but I had to stop recently for about a week now as I had a leg injury
    but am hoping to start training using the C25K site to start again sooner than later to train for a 5K in September.
    Good luck to you :)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I started running at 46, completed my first half marathon at 47 and now run 1/2 marathons every four months at 48. I'm looking at picking up that pace though to every other month, as i'm not challenged enough with my current schedule.

Make sure you stretch and have been fitted for your shoes at a running store You can also get splints from tying your laces too tight (strange but true).

Good luck on your journey and my best advice is HAVE FUN!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Last year, I got about half way through the C25k program. I really noticed a change in my body, really firmed me up. Seems like nothing does it, like running. Unfortunately, my right foot rebelled, and I developed plantar fasciitis, so had to tried to walk, etc. It has healed, but I had some pain that I don't want back. So, really listen to your body. I have become much better with my exercise in the last couple of months, and I will jog at intervals. Trying to mix it up with lower impact exercise, ellipitical machine, bike, etc. Hope you have a good experience.
  • monjet13
    monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    my goal is to complete the C25K program then run a 5K,
    train for a 10k and the run a 10K race.
    then maybe run a half marathon. I am also training for long distance open water swimming.
    I'm just going to keep plugging away at my goals! Id love to keep hearing your stories and motivations. Please friend me if you like so we can keep each other motivated!
  • monjet13
    monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump