Really great NYT article: Losing It In The Anti-Dieting Age (Brodesser-Akner)

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Good piece, thanks for sharing!
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Very good piece, makes sense. I also think more people are realizing they can do more with MFP for free...:)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For me, when I have run into trouble, it's because I use a weight number as a goal. That just doesn't work (for me), because....it's just a number. What always, without fail, works to keep me focused, is to have a goal separate from weight, that requires me to drop the weight. Like to complete a triathlon (done!) or clear all the obstacles in a Tough Mudder (working on it!).

When I lose that, is when I get in trouble. So I treat my body maintenance like a job - which, ironically, is exactly what body maintenance is - a *job*.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Really interesting.

Weight loss Vs body acceptance seems to me a false dichotomy. Losing weight is an act of self care.

So many of us started from a place of self-loathing, shame, self-punishment - we only started to make progress when we got out of that mindset and started to see weight loss as a way to better love our bodies and ourselves. In order to move on, you need to first accept where you are at.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Thought provoking - thanks for sharing this. I've read it all and will read it again I think.