What to eat purely for vanity

Options
Realise this is likely to be different for everyone but...!

I'm going on a beach holiday in 16 days (not that I'm counting). I don't want to lose any weight and I'm feeling very happy about my body at the moment for the first time in years and years. HOWEVER. I would like to do whatever I can do look and feel even better when I get there! So I would like what I eat to:
  • Not cause bloating
  • Be good for my skin, hair etc.
  • Fuel my workouts effectively (running and bodyweight strength training)

I don't have any allergies/intolerances/dietary requirements and I'm not a fussy eater so anything goes!

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Oh but that's so boring! :D
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    Point taken ;) I will keep on keeping on with my current regime and not cut the Oreo habit!
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    Yep but speaking from the athletic performance point of view - my experience is that changes to diet before am event (like a race for example) is more likely to produce negative effects than positive.

With respect to a holiday my experience is that any type of restriction in the few weeks before the holiday is likely to make me want to eat all the food and drink all the drink when on holiday. Of course, I may be non-typical in this behavior.

Oh, I'm going to enjoy every mouthful of food when I'm away - off to Greece so plenty of fish and seafood (which are my absolute favourite regardless of whether I'm counting calories or not), Greek yogurt, fresh, ripe Mediterranean fruit and veg and ice cream

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Haahaa yup, I'm with the others - if what you're doing is not having any of the effects you don't want, stick with it!! The last thing you want is to go trying some health kick and finding it makes you break out, or bloat or rash up. Enjoy Greece!!
  • maryjaquiss
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm off to Greece in 15 days! Corfu. Wave if you see a blue bald guy who looks like Arnie. I've wave to anyone wearing pink running leggings and shoes.

I'm there too!!!! Small world :)

Unfortunately the pink running leggings came into contact with the tarmac during a tempo run and are no more :(
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Typically high carbs, sodium, and alcohol are what cause bloating.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No alcohol, no fried foods, minimal pasta & bread,, lots of protein. You asked.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Hey, while you're there you could have some legit Greek yogurt. Have fun!
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Increase your potassium intake, which will help counteract the effects of sodium. I have been researching this since I ate some pho last week and gained like 4 pounds in bloat (which eventually came off over the course of some days). A high potassium meal that I am working out is Salmon with Swiss chard and white potato. All of these items have high potassium add a lime or lemon for good measure.

Plus make sure to keep up your water intake, as being hydrated helps with bloat too!
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Baby seal tears and chalk.

Seriously, enjoy your holiday.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I'm not an ice cream lover (apostasy I know) BUT Greeks do this incredible pistachio-in-homey concoction for which ice cream is a very worthy vehicle! Sadly, avoid the resin wine.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    eyer0ll wrote: »

Duh, baby seal tears are high in sodium. Do you WANT her to bloat??
  • maryjaquiss
    Options

Duh, baby seal tears are high in sodium. Do you WANT her to bloat??

The minerals in the chalk cancel out the sodium and prevent any bloating, but only if the chalk is organic and if it's consumed with ACV. It's scientifically proven.

Genuine LOLs :D
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I'm not an ice cream lover (apostasy I know) BUT Greeks do this incredible pistachio-in-homey concoction for which ice cream is a very worthy vehicle! Sadly, avoid the resin wine.

Retsina tastes just fine if you're by the sea and it's completely ice cold
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    Increase your potassium intake, which will help counteract the effects of sodium. I have been researching this since I ate some pho last week and gained like 4 pounds in bloat (which eventually came off over the course of some days). A high potassium meal that I am working out is Salmon with Swiss chard and white potato. All of these items have high potassium add a lime or lemon for good measure.

Plus make sure to keep up your water intake, as being hydrated helps with bloat too!

Weirdly, salmon (and other oily fish) is the one thing that does tend to make me bloat! I love it and eat it but sometimes it can gas me up for days