Recovering Eating Disorder

Options
corimccann
corimccann Posts: 1 Member
I have struggled my whole life having a healthy relationship with food. Junior high and high school I had Eating Disorder tendencies. When it got bad I was able to manage to find a way to get through it. I am 24 and a little over a year ago I had a very bad relapse. I got very sick and was the skinniest I had ever been in my life. It scared me so much I promised myself to never restrict any food again. I am now 20 pounds over a medically healthy weight because I was too afraid to "diet" because when I've done that in the past it turns into an ED. How do I go about losing weight, getting to a healthy weight, without relapsing again?

Replies

• jrnull
    jrnull Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's hard. Especially when you want to lose the weight but plateau.. I make myself log every food and every step taken so that I don't fall back into missing meals. That's my personal best advice ..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    speak to your treatment team/doctor
  • NORTHSEA76
    NORTHSEA76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Under/over eating is not about the food. An ED support group might be useful. MFP is great for tracking and awareness. I've been in your shoes.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I honestly would go see a therapist to take care of the issue while dieting. I am also a recovering anorexic but that was 10 years ago. Back then I had a lot to loose and went on something like WW but with calorie counting with my mom. At first everything was great and I was so young that it was working like a charm and with time, I started lying to myself and my mother by underestimating my portions instead of weighing stuff. I convinced myself that it was fine and started removing ALL fats to the point that my salad contained mustard instead of dressing. I gained back some weight when my doctor saw me and told me that what I am doing could render me infertile since I was so skinny that I had no period and was losing my hair. When I gained some of the weight back I became bulimic on and off. I have not had an eating disorder for at least 7 years.
    And now that I am dieting again after gaining from pregnancy, I could see myself eat the least calories MFP was recommending and again, underestimating my food. Not to the point of anorexia at all but the tendencies stay there and you have to coach yourself to eat all of the allotted calories, and eat when you are hungry and not go to bed hungry the way I did 10 years ago.

I'm saying see a therapist because you got out of your eating disorder not too long ago and you are still VERY at risk to go back. If you resolve your problems with a therapist while dieting and eating all of your allotted calories (with 20lbs to lose you should NOT lose more than 1lbs-0.5/week) it may work in your favor where you will make healthy food a lifestyle without going super low calorie or binging because you are too hungry.