What is the most accurate app for counting calories burned and distance walked?

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I use my Polar HR to get my calories and distance, I use the iOS version of Polar Beat and set it to GPS Walk mode and it does it all for you, it's probably the most accurate, because it knows my age, gender, weight & is monitoring my heart rate - I love it

It's probably ignoring your HR as at walking level intensities HR isn't related to calorie expenditure
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    xproofx wrote: »
    Bodyweight in lbs x 0.3 x distance in miles.

Does this account for speed?

Speed isn't a significant factor until you transition to running. Then after that cusp point is largely not important for most people.

Interestingly, I think I read somewhere once you hit 5 mph, you actually burn more calories walking than running the same speed (if you've never tried it, walking 5mph is incredibly hard...the article said that this is really the realm of competitive speed walkers).

I recently read of a racewalker who "walked" a marathon faster than most people run one!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My FitBit Charge HR combined with MapMyWalk
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    xproofx wrote: »
    Bodyweight in lbs x 0.3 x distance in miles.

Does this account for speed?

Speed isn't a significant factor until you transition to running. Then after that cusp point is largely not important for most people.

Interestingly, I think I read somewhere once you hit 5 mph, you actually burn more calories walking than running the same speed (if you've never tried it, walking 5mph is incredibly hard...the article said that this is really the realm of competitive speed walkers).

I recently read of a racewalker who "walked" a marathon faster than most people run one!

World class race walkers walk 50km worth of 6:00 miles... That will qualify you for Boston
  • astleybridge63
    astleybridge63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    36lbs in 2 months is fantastic. We all want it to be more, but it doesn't work that way. Don't go too low with your calories, you will still lose.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ive been struggling with this for a while.. i have been using the formular above as ive found that neither Mapmywalk or pedometer are accuracte its much too high.. even when you assume it is calucluating gross calories and subtracting them !! using map my walk for the distance although its sometimes not accurate so i think im going to swap to pedometer app.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I liked the old "100 calories for every mile walked" much better. The new formula might be more accurate, but it's a ton more demotivating. I guess I'll have to learn to walk at 5mph or faster.

The Apple Watch also way overestimates walks...it's net activity results are much more in line with 100 cals/mile for me - about 75% higher than it should be. The watch is oddly accurate for running through - almost exactly in line with my body weight X 0.63 per mile.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I've found MapMyWalk tends to give me a high estimate on calories burned, but a very accurate distance measurement. However, I don't link it directly to MFP. Instead, I take the speed and time and use the MFP calculator (on the "Exercise" page) to enter my walks. The MFP calculator shows a much smaller calorie burn than the MMW app.