Planet Fitness Vs Genesis

Options
Has anyone worked out at either of these gyms!? Which one is better in your opinion??

Replies

• chernandez77
    chernandez77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about the gym you go to but the work you put in at the gym when you go
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about the gym you go to but the work you put in at the gym when you go

The gym kind of matters too. Planet Fitness doesn't offer free weights, so many people decide against joining it (among PF's other issues).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

The gym kind of matters too. Planet Fitness doesn't offer free weights, so many people decide against joining it (among PF's other issues).

Planet fitness doesn't have adjustable barbells, Most have dumbells up to 75... some have dumbells up to 120. as well as preloaded barbells.

Ultimately each location is different, and the best thing to do is get a tour and talk to some people who actually use the facility.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

Yet, only a small percentage of people barbell squat and deadlift at my one gym which has those thing.
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet fitness and it is great. They don't have free weights but they have plenty of dumbells, cable weight machines and Smith Machines. Between these and the cardio options I think most people would have what they need.

I just found the environment friendlier and better in general to do your own thing.

Their memberships are reasonable and they're easier to cancel on.

They have great promotions and deals. I would just walk into one and ask what the best way is to try them for a while - which may be joining and canceling later (not sure).

But more than what anyone says here you will be the only one who can either like or dislike them. My advice would be to try them out.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    OP, you have to tell us what your goals are and what kind of workouts do you do.
  • chernandez77
    chernandez77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can get same results not having free weights and using a resistant band also body weight exercises. People are so hung up on freeweights which is insane and they really need to rethink how to work out.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You cannot get the same results without weights.
  • stanmann571
    edited August 2017
    Options
    timsla wrote: »

How heavy a squat do you have to do in order to be able to successfully perform an unloaded pistol on the first attempt?

And which weight training exercise will prepare you to accomplish the drill in my profile photo?
  • timsla
    Options
    Over head press, bench press, general gravity. You should know resistance bands are gonna make lugging a 240 around any easier.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

As always, that depends on one's goals. If your goal is general fitness, yes - you can get the same results without weights. Using weights will often be more efficient, but they're really not necessary for most of genpop.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Compound movements are fundamental; a place that won't let you squat bench and deadlift is a no in my book.

Well- I'm only partially employed at the moment. There is a nice gym near me with all that stuff, but it's $40/mo and you have to make a minimum 1 year commitment. There's also a fee to join but they were willing to "waive" it when I went in. On the other hand, PF is only $10/mo and they will let me quit any time. So- I joined PF. I really do miss the squat rack, but I've modified my routine for the moment. I had to compromise.
  • timsla
    Options
    You can't beat the price there that is for sure.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I go to Genesis, well actually about 5 months ago Genesis bought the gym I belonged to so it's a new Genesis. I love my gym. Great cardio equipment, excellent group classes, clean, kid pool and great indoor pools too, my kids love the kid care and overall friendly people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    PF, because of pizza.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options

Yet, only a small percentage of people barbell squat and deadlift at my one gym which has those thing.

... and what about the bench press and it's variants, belt squats using a BB, Pendlay/BB rows, Military Presses and a multitude of other standard compound movements that are best performed with a BB/Free weights? There is a lot more to BB and the free weight section of a gym than squats and deads. ;)

Note: My wife just benched 5x5 with a plate yesterday. I'm so proud of her. woooot
  • stanmann571
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

... and what about the bench press and it's variants, belt squats using a BB, Pendlay/BB rows, Military Presses and a multitude of other standard compound movements that are best performed with a BB/Free weights? There is a lot more to BB and the free weight section of a gym than squats and deads. ;)

Note: My wife just benched 5x5 with a plate yesterday. I'm so proud of her. woooot

90% of people can reach their goals by doing those exercises with dumbells.
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Not ideal of course but a lot of these *could* be done with a Smith Machine - = which Planet Fitness has (Rows, DLs and Bench Press). They also have barbells up to 50 lbs (I think).

Sure these workouts are great but I don't think we should get hung up on just this one aspect of it. The OP may have other needs and most people at Planet Fitness seem happy with Cardio and the cable machines.

To each his / her own.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford are good workout partners. Peter Gabriel is unreliable and a prima donna.

I'll be here all week.