Can you build muscle in a low carb diet?

Read about the golden era diet, they seemed to have done low carbs, but how did they build the muscles

Replies

• veezybell
    veezybell Posts: 104 Member
    Can't answer your specific question, but I'm doing keto combined with StrongLifts 5x5 right now and I've absolutely been getting stronger.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited August 2017
    Read about the golden era diet, they seemed to have done low carbs, but how did they build the muscles

define Golden era

IF you're talking about diet, Here's your answer,

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/golden-era-diet-supplements-glory-days-of-bodybuilding.htm

IF you're talking about routines... same as today. Pick up heavy stuff, repeat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Ultimately it is down to calories but it's far easier with carbs.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km4wd-YK0L8

Pretty good video from a bodybuilder and a powerlifter.

My take aways:
    1. Calories are the most important
    2. You can gain on a keto diet if in a calorie surplus
    3. Some people can maintain a calorie deficit on keto easier and this is prime mover for some to lose
    4. Fasted cardio isn't really better than non-fasted cardio

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    You need protein to build and maintain muscle. Neither low nor high carbs will provide the nutrients necessary to do build muscle. . No protein, no muscles. Period.

Better to go low carb or at least low GI carbs so that fat will be more easily burned for energy and so that the carbs are less easily converted to fat.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    I lost 45 lbs prior to lifting. Once I started lifting, I stalled in weight loss, but got better measurements. I'm following a Keto diet, with less than 25 carbs a day. I've defined muscles, grew my arms and leg measurements and keep making changes. You don't NEED the carbs to help you.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yes, but it is best to become fat adapted first (i.e. transition skeletal muscles to primarily using fat for energy rather than glucose) and then make sure to get both plenty of protein and plenty of fat. When fat adapted, most of your energy will come from fat, not glucose. As long as you get sufficient protein, a fat adapted person should get just as much muscle gain from a protein and fat-based diet as a 'normal' person on a protein and carb-based diet.

Get enough energy to power muscles (fat or glucose, depending upon your specific body and whether you are fat adapted) and additional whole proteins in order to provide amino acids to create new muscle tissue.

The only confounding factor is that unlike muscles, your brain and central nervous system cannot directly oxidize fat for energy. You will still need some glucose, though ketones will also fuel your brain. We all need around 120g-130g per day of glucose without ketones. Ketones reduce that amount by approx. 10% per 1 mmol/l of blood ketones. In order to get that glucose, you can consume some small amounts of glucose and remain in ketosis while consuming additional protein to convert to glucose via gluconeogenesis - this happens at 58% efficiency.

Yes, you can do it, but become fat adapted first. Next, be sure to eat sufficient protein to have both have glucose to power your brain (supplemental to whatever small amount of carbs you eat) and enough to build muscle. Finally, get enough fat in your diet to fuel skeletal muscles.
    Not according to study above. INSULIN levels do matter in muscle hypertrophy for signaling mTOR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Theoretically, high enough protein intakes could provide such insulin levels, especially given how big of increases in insulin levels we see with things like whey and chicken. That said, many keto dieters barely treat protein much better than carbs because "zomg converts to sugar" nonsense. Thankfully, that does appear to be changing in many circles, including the LCHF group here.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Of course, it's just suboptimal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

people love to throw around the term calorie surplus but have 0 training in being an actual personal trainer.

i can tell you that the single, most effective, and powerful way to increase muscle mass is to get your sleep under control.. why?

while youre sleeping, you release something called "human growth hormone" which is when your body repairs itself and grows your muscle.

if you want some tips on getting better sleep, feel free to message me :)

So the secret is sleeping, not volume of work and energy balance?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

people love to throw around the term calorie surplus but have 0 training in being an actual personal trainer.

i can tell you that the single, most effective, and powerful way to increase muscle mass is to get your sleep under control.. why?

while youre sleeping, you release something called "human growth hormone" which is when your body repairs itself and grows your muscle.

Are you going to come take care of my screaming baby in the middle of the night? Cause that would help me! :D Hahaha.. OK I kid.. while getting enough sleep is great, it didn't really affect my progress to be honest... my sleep was pretty bad while I was bulking :s
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    sardelsa wrote: »

Are you going to come take care of my screaming baby in the middle of the night? Cause that would help me! :D Hahaha.. OK I kid.. while getting enough sleep is great, it didn't really affect my progress to be honest... my sleep was pretty bad while I was bulking :s

I was going to write you must not be a parent... but went with more sarcasm lol.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Mark Bell and Layne Norton.....when them two dudes speak, I shut up and listen! Dr. Norton can seem like a pompous *kitten* at times, but it is really passion speaking. Most of the time.

Anyway, carbs are important. For most. But not the biggest part of the equation. Building muscle requires - going to keep this very basic and bottom-line - four things:

1. adherence
    2. caloric surplus
    3. resistance training
    4. recovery

So, find a program that works for you and follow it / stick to it. If you do not do this then everything else is pointless. Thus, this is my #1.

To build muscles - and that is your specific question - you need to feed the machine. So, you need to eat. My #2.

My #3 is that you then need to pound the heck out of your muscles. Whatever that means for you. You are talking about building muscles? That *can* mean different things to different folks. There is building muscles like Arnold (straight up huge) or there is building muscles like Rob Lipsett (big-ish but very aesthetic) or there is "toned". So, whatever that might mean to you....and that is for you to define.....you will need to follow the appropriate program.

And, naturally, you need to allow your body to recover. So, if that means 10 hours of sleep, for you, then that is what you need to do. If that means three days no training for that body part, then that is what you need.

Make sense?

So, no where in there was "carbs". That would | could be in my #2. It is going to be different for everyone. I knew a dude when I was at another gym....45yo Army dude and he was pretty big, pretty dang strong and pretty dang fit...but he told me that if he ate more than 100g of Carbs then he would blow up (translation - gain body fat like crazy). We are all different.

What works for you?