Trying to change my appearance

Options
I finally decided to make a change in my life. I spent 4 years in the military and never haf to worry about gaining weight but it sneaks up on you quick. I had a lot of stress in my life and when i lost my parents i put on a lot of weight. I'm looking forward to making friends here and gaining support and giving support. My goal, 50 lbs

Replies

• sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I did fifty pounds and was so glad I did, you can do this!
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Welcome!
  • jlewis326
    jlewis326 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Im only down 2 so far but im optimistic!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Once I started counting calories and realized how badly I was over eating it really wasn't that difficult. I got rid of junk fast foods and reduced portions but I never felt starved after the first few weeks. I then started walking every morning. After a while I added running and worked up to 25+ miles a week. When I combined the exercise and deficit the weight came off fast. I have put a bit back on but will get it off soon.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was grossed out by my reflection in the mirrior. I can totally understand your motivation. Took 50lbs off and feel and look much better.

Be open about your goals and try writing down stuff so you can see how far you have gone.

Remember slow and steady wins the race.
    [edited by MFP Mods]
  • AverageJoeFit
    Options
    jlewis326 wrote: »
    I noticed it's much easier counting calories. I reached for my normal Mt. Dew earlier and thought thats 250 calories i could eat instead... so grabbed water instead

Yea that willeaks happen with other things as well.

For me it was butter and cream for my coffee. I cut those out because I would rather have cheese instead of butter and almond milk instead of fancy creamers.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You've got this! Good luck!
  • jlewis326
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So question, how much do you have to drop a pants and shirt size? Also if anyone wants yo become friends on here we can help motivate each other?
  • AverageJoeFit
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs and went from a 38 - 40 waist to a 32 - 34 waist. My shirts went from XXL / XLR to Large / Medium.

I didn't buy clothes as I lost weight because I hate clothes shopping. I just waited until I reached my goal and got new belts.
  • jlewis326
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    I lost 50 lbs and went from a 38 - 40 waist to a 32 - 34 waist. My shirts went from XXL / XLR to Large / Medium .

What did you weigh before you lost it if you dont mind me asking?
  • AverageJoeFit
    Options
    jlewis326 wrote: »
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    I lost 50 lbs and went from a 38 - 40 waist to a 32 - 34 waist. My shirts went from XXL / XLR to Large / Medium .

What did you weigh before you lost it if you dont mind me asking?

I don't mind at all open book here :smiley: My heaviest was 260 lbs, but I lost 40 lbs then fell off the bandwagon. The more recent and successful time I started at 245 lbs and am now under 195 lbs.
  • jlewis326
    Options
    Awesome mate!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you lost both your parents - being so young.

It's a new chapter for you! Anything is always possible...go for it:)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I went from 272.4 on January 25, 2016 to 178.6 today. All it takes is an accumulation of small changes. The first small change is to accurately log your food. Then you think about what you done and make another small change, maybe eat less, maybe eat different. Maybe just cook different. The small changes add up to a way of living like the healthy person you are going to become.
  • phrancly
    phrancly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I lost my parents too. Grief will do that. Lost 50 pounds since my heaviest. Best of luck to you.
  • mlh6468
    mlh6468 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service, friend request sent. I'm new also.
  • jlewis326
    Options
    You're welcome, im pretty motivated if any wants to add me, feel free :smile: