Adventures in totally botching calorie counting: Velveeta shells and cheese

Options
MegaMooseEsq
MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
ETA: well, clearly the moral of this story is actually that a post-graduate degree and above average reading skills will still lead you astray when reading nutritional information on boxes. I feel rather silly, but I'll leave this here as an additional cautionary tale. And I think I'll just avoid pasta for a while. :smile:

ETA2: I just realized that I probably overestimated my calories last night, too - hey, bonus deficit! Well, if one is going to publically botch calorie counting, might as well over do it than under do it!

In the few weeks since I started hanging around here, I've seen a lot of people talk about how vital weighing food is. I bought a scale a while ago and have been weighing most foods, but I had a real eye opening moment last night that I wanted to share. I was feeling lazy and wanted some comfort food, so I made an old favorite: Velveeta shells and cheese. The package says a serving is about a cup, which has about 360 calories, and the box makes about three cups total. Sounds good to me!

Ah, I thought, but I am smarter now, and it says a serving is also 4 ounces, or 112 grams. I often use ounces to measure, but figured I'd go for grams this time, as 4 seemed a little suspiciously round. So I weighed out 112 grams, and was shocked to find it wasn't even close to a third of the prepared pasta. My portion looked so small! Well, I generally eat more than 360 calories for dinner, so I figured I'd round up to about 500 calories, or 154 grams. This was basically two spoonfuls more, and it still didn't seem like I'd made much of a dent in the pot, but I really don't need more than 500 calories for dinner and so I decided to trust my scale.

After I ate my delicious but disappointingly not very filling dinner, I decided to weigh the leftovers. I'd already eaten more than the 112 serving that was supposed to be one of "about" three. The leftovers weighted 396 g. Basically, the box cooked up to almost five 360 calorie servings. If I'd tried to eyeball a third, as I have done many times before, I'd have ended up with close to 600 calories, not 360, and that's assuming I accurately eyeballed a third in the first place. Ouch.

So that's my cautionary tale. Thanks for all the excellent posts explaining why it's so important not to eyeball your portions. I'm a believer now, for sure!

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a very helpful story! I have finally come to the conclusion that I can never again 'eyeball' food because I have no intuitive sense for portion sizes and I would have believed the box.

I just realized something similar with prepacked frozen meals. The weight of the actual food can very greatly.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Found this out the hard way with salmon. I was eating 100 more calories than I thought before I bought a food scale.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I think you may not be taking into account that the weight on the box for a serving size is the dry weight of the packaged food. Your cooked macaroni is all swollen with water, and of course it weighs more than it did when it was dry - but it didn't gain calories from the water.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Yes, did you weight the pasta before or after you boiled it? I am fairly certain the 112g is referring to dry pasta.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Is the weight they list for a dry or cooked 112g? I would assume it's for dry and the actual cooked weight would be much higher (since the pasta absorbs water-the amount depending on how long you cook it). So if you want to get crazy with the dry/cooked weights, you'd want to weigh out 112g (of a combo of dry shells and sauce), cook the pasta, add the sauce then re-weigh the cooked product.

But-your point that packaged foods still need to be weighed is a good one as they are often quite off from the label.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    wilsonunc wrote: »
    Are you sure the 112g didn't refer to the product unprepared?

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read the OP. Generally when it comes to pasta (even pre-packaged pasta meals), the serving size is referring to the uncooked weight not the cooked weight. This is because pasta absorbs a lot of water when cooked, but the amount absorbed is quite variable, so the most precise way to measure it is before it is cooked.

While I have run into times when a pre-packaged food didn't measure up to it's supposed serving size, it's not usually too far off any time I've bothered to weigh it (and I've seen it go both ways - fewer grams per serving and more grams per serving than what the package indicated).
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    I think you may not be taking into account that the weight on the box for a serving size is the dry weight of the packaged food. Your cooked macaroni is all swollen with water, and of course it weighs more than it did when it was dry - but it didn't gain calories from the water.

Aw shoot, obviously you're right. Well, that's it's own problem too, isn't it? I've been doing this for a while and am a pretty smart person if I do say so myself. The box doesn't even give a weight when prepared, so I'm supposed to try and measure with a cup (yeah right) or just eyeball a third of a box? And trust that's only 360 calories? No thanks!
  • MommaGem2017
    Options
    Is the weight they list for a dry or cooked 112g? I would assume it's for dry and the actual cooked weight would be much higher (since the pasta absorbs water-the amount depending on how long you cook it). So if you want to get crazy with the dry/cooked weights, you'd want to weigh out 112g (of a combo of dry shells and sauce), cook the pasta, add the sauce then re-weigh the cooked product.

But-your point that packaged foods still need to be weighed is a good one as they are often quite off from the label.

This makes sense. If someone were cooking the whole box 9say for the family meal), then how would they go about figuring out one serving after cooking?

I would imagine... if it were 112g a serving and approx. 3 servings per box. I might measure out say exactly 3 servings 336g), cook it, weigh it again, and take 1/3 of the cooked product? Does that sound logical?
  • autumnblade75
    Options

Aw shoot, obviously you're right. Well, that's it's own problem too, isn't it? I've been doing this for a while and am a pretty smart person if I do say so myself. The box doesn't even give a weight when prepared, so I'm supposed to try and measure with a cup (yeah right) or just eyeball a third of a box? And trust that's only 360 calories? No thanks!

I don't make that specific kind of mac n' cheese - it's got a sauce packet and dry shells, yeah? But I don't even prepare mine according to the directions on the box, so it's handy to have calorie info for "boxed" vs. "as prepared"

I go ahead and calculate how many calories went into the pan, then, divide it up (by eyeball, generally - I do that) into equal portions and divide how many calories total by how many servings I've decided that is.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

This makes sense. If someone were cooking the whole box 9say for the family meal), then how would they go about figuring out one serving after cooking?

I would imagine... if it were 112g a serving and approx. 3 servings per box. I might measure out say exactly 3 servings 336g), cook it, weigh it again, and take 1/3 of the cooked product? Does that sound logical?

Yesh, I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I was actually supposed to weigh this with any sort of accuracy - sure I can weigh the dry noodles, but what about the cheese sauce? That sounds like a mess and a hassle. And it's not like there are directions for cooking just one serving - you're supposed to do the whole box, or else buy the single serving ones that never taste as good in the first place.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how that would work with the cheese sauce packet. I suppose it's possible but seems like a LOT of work. If I often cooked spaghetti for family dinners, I might go through the weighing process once to know (roughly) the cooked weight of a serving of pasta. But for something like this? I would just eyeball the 1/3-or if I had huge concerns, just take 1/3 of the total cooked package and know that's 360 calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Weigh the whole prepared amount. Divide by 3. Portion out that much.
    If you know the weight of your pot you can weigh the whole pot of food and subtract the weight of the pot before dividing. It is useful to know the weight of your pots and baking dishes.
  • MommaGem2017
    Options

I'm not sure how that would work with the cheese sauce packet. I suppose it's possible but seems like a LOT of work. If I often cooked spaghetti for family dinners, I might go through the weighing process once to know (roughly) the cooked weight of a serving of pasta. But for something like this? I would just eyeball the 1/3-or if I had huge concerns, just take 1/3 of the total cooked package and know that's 360 calories.

Foods that become too difficult to log would just fall off my menu. @MegaMooseEsq you may have to look for new comfort food :'(
  • autumnblade75
    edited August 2017
    Options

Except for the bit about how a serving is "about" 1 cup, and there are "about" 3 servings...

What I do for that is: I edit the entry to reflect exactly how many servings are in the package, according to the stated weight. Example: I have a can of chili here that says a serving is 250 g, and there are "about" 2 servings in the can. The Net Weight of the can is 425 g. So I edit the closest entry in the database to reflect the container size as 425 g, and servings per container is (425/250 = ) 1.7. Then it's simpler to use "1 container" in a recipe. It even helps if I'm eating that food as a stand-alone - I feel that is less confusing (to me, anyway) than every time I eat 1/2 a can of chili to remember that I'm actually having 0.85 servings.

Edited because I accidentally made an emoticon out of punctuation.
  • wilsonunc
    wilsonunc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What I would do in a situation like this is weigh out the food prepared as a whole, and calculate a third of the prepared weight and eat that. It would be the easiest way to make sure you're making equal sized portions -- weighing it unprepared with the cheese sauce would be a mess
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have all my pots & cooking dishes weighed & keep a list on my fridge. After I make a dish, I weigh it in the pan & subtract out the weight of the pan. Divide by # of serving sizes, voila.

As to regular pasta, I have found a cooked serving is almost always 3X the dry weight (without sauce or other ingredients, of course).
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options

This is what I do with all of my packaged goods. I just make the whole container, weigh the cooked amount and divide that number by the servings on the box.