Suggestions for beginner yoga

Options
Like the title reads, anyone have any suggestions on yoga vids for beginners?
Thank you.

Replies

• RonYoung2017
    RonYoung2017 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Youtube has many
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do you have any flexibility and strength? I don't know if it'll be too much for you, but I loved P90X (classic) Yoga X. It's 90 minutes or so, but a fair amount of that is just stretching. It is completely wonderful and I always found it to be extremely therapeutic for the mind. I grew to hate the amount of time it took, but each time I'd do it I always left feeling invigorated. Just writing this post makes me want to take the plunge and throw the DVD in for old time's sake.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. Pick out any videos marked for beginners to start!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. Pick out any videos marked for beginners to start!

This^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWobp3phsEU
  • Panys_mom
    Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you. YouTube it is
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is practical or affordable, but if you can, do a course of classes. Especially if you are relatively new to exercise.

I have been doing yoga for about 18 month, (done lots of other classes before) so no expert, and there is no way I could do the poses correctly if I didn't go to class once a week.

Agree with going with Adrienne otherwise.

Cheers, h.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Start with classes at a studio.
  • thinkyg
    thinkyg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to a class, I go at the y and they have tons throughout the week, I also like the y because when starting out at yoga I found that as an overweight beginner I got some snide comments at studios from other people in the classes, that's never happened at the y. And I find that the y costs about the same as a studio membership but I also go to the pool and use their equipment.
    A lot of places will have drop in classes so you can see if you like it, definitely try to find a welcoming environment, it makes a difference.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    A lot of yoga studios offer very low introductory rates on Groupon or Living Social. Going to a few classes can make following along with a video easier and you'll have a better idea of how to do the poses.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should try a couple classes. When I started, I introduced myself to the instructor and said I was a beginner, and she came around to me and helped me get into the right positions for a couple of the poses. Now I feel I can do most of the poses with proper form.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should try a couple classes. When I started, I introduced myself to the instructor and said I was a beginner, and she came around to me and helped me get into the right positions for a couple of the poses. Now I feel I can do most of the poses with proper form.

Good one :)
    I actually introduced myself and gave the instructor permission to touch me if it was needed to get me into the correct position alignment.
    I also explained my limitations.

Cheers, h.