Alcohol Free August 2017

Options

Replies

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's the alcohol or the salty snacks or a combination, but I retain fluid when drinking. After two days I've lost five pounds and have noticeably less edema in my legs and feet. In a few days, I'm confident that my blood pressure will be down as well.

I drank this past weekend before this all started. By wednesday morning, i had dropped 3 pounds... 3! The water weight is crazy!
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Can I join even though I am only planning to better moderate rather than eliminate my alcohol consumption?

I was reading a magazine article at the doctor's office yesterday and the author was saying that, while she does not abuse alcohol, she needed to re-evaluate her relationship with alcohol. Too many social situations found her consuming way too much alcohol. She stated (and I do not remember the source) that the guidelines for women are no more than seven drinks per week and no more than three in one day. It made me realize that, even though I don't consider myself a heavy drinker, I generally consume a lot more alcohol than this and I thought perhaps maybe I should also re-evaluate my relationship with the stuff.

I cook every night. I generally like to have a glass of wine, often two, to compliment my meal. I don't want to give this up. I also spend time on the weekends with friends and family in party type situations where alcohol is involved. Sometimes they last for many hours and over the course of the day I find that I may have drank an entire bottle of wine along with a cocktail or two that someone has offered me. No wonder I feel sluggish and sore on my run the next day.

So my plan for August is to stick to those guidelines suggested in the article. No more than 3 drinks in any given day or seven in a week. I will still have a glass of wine with dinner, but not every night so that I can bank some of those drinks for social days when I may want to have my max of 3 drinks. It's going to be interesting because we will be going on vacation on Aug 20th, but i know I can do it.

OF course you are welcome! :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was stalled for 3 months with about 12 pounds to go. I stopped drinking June 27 and have only had one slip up day. I've lost 8# since I stopped. That was pretty surprising to me as I was counting my drinking calories. I guess I didn't count ALL the drinks or munchies, but thought I had.
  • aaaaxx
    aaaaxx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna look for that book. The naked mind. Hope it helps. Nearly a week done and feeling great. Temptation hits every eve about 8 pm. It's gone by 10 pm. Phew. Have a party sat night in a situation where everyone will try to get me to drink. That will be a good test
  • velocity60
    velocity60 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well let's just say it's a new day & I need to start again .
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread so I'm starting a little late, but I'd like to join you. I tend to overdo on wine. I didn't have any wine yesterday and don't plan to have any today and hopefully until Sep 4. We'll see how that goes. Thank you for starting this thread!
  • msp612
    msp612 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have recommendations on what to drink if not alcohol at a party? We are very social and if I don't have a glass in my hand everyone thinks there is something wrong. I am also trying to do no alcohol in August. Thinking seltzer water or Kombucha to "mimic" a cocktail.
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    msp612 wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations on what to drink if not alcohol at a party? We are very social and if I don't have a glass in my hand everyone thinks there is something wrong. I am also trying to do no alcohol in August. Thinking seltzer water or Kombucha to "mimic" a cocktail.

Club soda with Lime. Nobody needs to know it doesn't have alcohol in it. Or any diet soda....they don't need to know there isn't booze in it. Or you can do a virgin drink - Shirley Temple etc. There are plenty of virgin drink recipes online.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/samimain/ways-to-survive-a-party-without-drinking?utm_term=.jiEe5VRL7#.vfNQMb3Aa
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    velocity60 wrote: »
    Well let's just say it's a new day & I need to start again .

That's okay! You can shoot for 30/31 days :) Just do the best you can. Any step in the right direction is a step!
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    aaaaxx wrote: »
    I'm gonna look for that book. The naked mind. Hope it helps. Nearly a week done and feeling great. Temptation hits every eve about 8 pm. It's gone by 10 pm. Phew. Have a party sat night in a situation where everyone will try to get me to drink. That will be a good test

I also just read The Easy Way to Quit Drinking by Allen Carr. I am going to look for/order The Naked Mind as well.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well today is August 4th and I am still alcohol free as of right now (9:30am Pacific). However, I am heading to Lake Havasu in a few hours. Gawd help me. I've barely gotten back to my healthy living after gaining back most of the weight I lost in 2012-2013. This time around, I drank more beer than I have ever in my life. Daily. I am a girl who can easily go through a 12 pack in one sitting. What to do....

This is Day 5 of getting back to my healthy lifestyle and I've killed it with diet and exercise. Perfect week. So far...

Any encouragement or suggestions would be much appreciated while I make it through this Alcohol infested weekend. If you have a chance to google Lake Havasu videos, then you will kinda get an idea :#
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Author - Annie Grace. I have it on Kindle, there are a couple of Facebook pages and a blog. No guarantees, but it helps me to have a way to focus. I read a different book a year ago - helped but I fell off several months later. I may not be able to return to controlled, limited drinking.

In the present, I am on day four - on track.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    [Any encouragement or suggestions would be much appreciated while I make it through this Alcohol infested weekend. If you have a chance to google Lake Havasu videos, then you will kinda get an idea :# [/quote]

I'm not a counselor - Considering your quantities - sounds like my pint of whiskey/bourbon or rye. At this point I can't drink just one and I've spoken with my wife - helps with accountability and avoiding the near occasion. It may help to have someone close to you who knows that you choose not to drink and will support you in that decision.
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    goalpeace wrote: »
    Well today is August 4th and I am still alcohol free as of right now (9:30am Pacific). However, I am heading to Lake Havasu in a few hours. Gawd help me. I've barely gotten back to my healthy living after gaining back most of the weight I lost in 2012-2013. This time around, I drank more beer than I have ever in my life. Daily. I am a girl who can easily go through a 12 pack in one sitting. What to do....

This is Day 5 of getting back to my healthy lifestyle and I've killed it with diet and exercise. Perfect week. So far...

Any encouragement or suggestions would be much appreciated while I make it through this Alcohol infested weekend. If you have a chance to google Lake Havasu videos, then you will kinda get an idea :#

You can do it! You have killed it this week with diet and exercise so DON'T UNDO all the great things you have done! Keep it up over the weekend. Drink water or lemonade or virgin drinks. Or if you do decide to indulge, stop at ONE. Or better yet, don't drink at all and keep working towards your health and fitness goals!
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    I also just read The Easy Way to Quit Drinking by Allen Carr. I am going to look for/order The Naked Mind as well.

I also read the Allen Carr book and found it somewhat wanting. What irked me the most is how he seemed to take another book on how to quit smoking and merely did a global search for the word "smoking" and replaced with with "drinking". I'm planning to check out The Naked Mind as well. Thanks for the tip.

My advice, should anyone want it (if you don't, just tell me to STFU...) is to recognize the reasons why you drink more than you really want to. For so many people, alcohol is identical to food in the sense that it provides comfort and securty. Much like food, it can mask unpleasant feelings - depression, anxiety, loneliness, etc.

My coming to terms with my constant over-consumption of alcohol was very similar to my coming to terms with my over-consumption of food. I had to work on the reasons inside of me that made being constantly fat and drunk a more appealing place.

That's great advice and I agree with you about the Allen Carr book. While I agreed with some of the concepts, it left me wanting. I am going to look into Fred's suggestion of The Naked Mind too.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

I went to a big party with an open bar last weekend. I had about 10 tonic water (like club soda) and limes. By an hour into a party I've noticed the drinkers are buzzed and as long as I have a glass with something in it and say "I'm good" when offered wine or other drinks, that does the trick. I enjoy myself much more at parties when I'm sober. That was a surprise to me.

• PurpleLavender77
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Tomorrow, I am getting together with my friend for lunch and I normally have wine. But I'm opting for club soda and a lime or just plain water. She will be understanding, but I'm just mentally preparing myself right now! I don't want to undo all the work I did this week, as I have been self sabotaging my weight loss/nutrition the past couple of months with wine intake on the weekends.
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

I went to a big party with an open bar last weekend. I had about 10 tonic water (like club soda) and limes. By an hour into a party I've noticed the drinkers are buzzed and as long as I have a glass with something in it and say "I'm good" when offered wine or other drinks, that does the trick. I enjoy myself much more at parties when I'm sober. That was a surprise to me.

That's awesome! I bet you felt a lot better the next day too!
  • aaaaxx
    aaaaxx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    Author - Annie Grace. I have it on Kindle, there are a couple of Facebook pages and a blog. No guarantees, but it helps me to have a way to focus. I read a different book a year ago - helped but I fell off several months later. I may not be able to return to controlled, limited drinking.

In the present, I am on day four - on track.

Thanks so much. I'll be checking in here tomorrow night before going out to remind myself I'm not the only one choosing a healthier life and an easier life. Delighted to have found this thread and determined to complete a dry August. They say it takes only a month to break a habit so we are all doing so well so far. Best of luck everyone. Xxx