Do you tell everyone when you are on a diet?

Options

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Absolutely bloody not.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Heavens no. Not going to open that can of worms. Last time I did it was because one of my coworkers noticed I was eating much healthier all the time. He then took it as an invitation to wave fries and tacos in my face on his lunch break and tell me "you're going to waste away" even though I was clearly overweight still. Unless I know someone is super supportive and won't butt their way into my business, I keep my lip zipped.
  • JamesMD84
    JamesMD84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, seems most of you have the same thoughts about not letting everyone know.

I will just choose better in future and eat a good portion size.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I told almost no one, because I didn't want people think it was ok to monitor my eating or give me worthless advice. I figured the results would speak for themselves, and they did.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Once in a while when it comes up, I'll talk about it but I don't broadcast it.

There is one guy at work who's way into fitness and I'll mention something to him but again it's not on a regular basis.

Most people can tell by now and will make comments but I'm doing this for me and my health.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I never brought it up and no one ever asked except when I just got water at the bar. Why aren't you drinking, they asked? Not a soul ever asked why I was eating salad.

Just keep doing your thing. Eventually people will notice and ask what you're doing. When you respond "counting calories", 90% of the time you'll get a blank stare.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people I am trying to lose weight. I eat normal food so I don't particularly look like I am dieting.
    I have been able to find foods at most restaurants that fit my calorie goal okay.
    I might have a regular sandwich and a side salad with vinaigrette dressing with an iced tea for a lunch.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Do you tell everyone when you are on a diet?

No! No way! Absolutely not! I wouldn't even tell my husband except that he makes dinner so, unfortunately, I had to let him know.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance, so there is nothing to tell them. I choose food that fits within my goals. Being able to limit your intake when there is a lot of food available is a necessary skill.
  • lexington88
    lexington88 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A bit of both really. I tell my boyfriend and my immediate family, because I know that at some point they're going to cook for me and I know that on the whole, they'll be supportive enough to make an effort to put less butter/sugar/lard in and give me smaller portions (joking on the lard...).

At work, my manager knows because she asked, and I wasn't going to deny it. I generally eat at my desk which is opposite hers, and she noticed I was bringing in healthier options for lunch and asked me if I was on a diet. I told her I was making an effort to eat healthier and be more active. So far she's the only one in the office that knows because I don't tend to tell everyone I meet.

Last time I lost weight, for some reason I wouldn't tell anyone, and even denied it when asked, even though I was clearly losing quite a lot of weight. I don't know why, but I got this mentality that I shouldn't tell anyone because it was embarrassing and would be even more embarrassing if I didn't lose anything. Eventually I snapped out of that, because I realise that telling people (or at least answering in the affirmative when asked) gives me a measure of accountability that actually motivates me to lose weight. So after losing the first ten pounds or so, I started admitting that yes, actually, I was trying to lose weight.

I can definitely understand not telling people, because everyone suddenly becomes a dietitian/nutritionist and tells you you should eat more xyz, eat less xyz, exercise more, exercise less, cut out sugar, stop losing weight because you're starting to look gaunt, etc. etc, but sometimes you end up gaining extra support.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I never use to in the past as I would never make it past 2 months but this time around as I am more motivated and dedicated I told everyone I could so that way It would keep me at it, that way when anyone asked how I was doing I could say well I lost this amount last week/fortnight/month, I have lasted 6 months now and still going.... sometimes it helps telling people but just depends what the people you are telling are like I guess, plus how you feel :)
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've only ever "dieted" once before and I did WW followed by the Harcombe diet (oh my god, absolute torture, I still remember making fake gravy and potatoeless roast dinners. Horrifying) and EVERYBODY knew I was on them because I could not shut up about them and I was having to make something weird food choices for Harcombe so people noticed.

People ask this time around because I'm visibly much, much smaller. My close friends notice because I no longer order two cocktails with my starter and two (yup, two) desserts at the end of a meal. I eat like a normal person now. I don't talk about it but if someone notices (like, for example I absentmindedly weigh my muffin on the food scale I keep in my drawer during a lunchtime meeting) I just tell them I'm tracking my intake.

Honestly nobody has ever given me unsolicited advice or made any form of negative comment on my eating. I can't actually imagine a situation in which they would but I do acknowledge that it must happen. Just not to me.
  • JamesMD84
    JamesMD84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    JamesMD84 wrote: »
    I guess I just need to look harder at the menu for the best options and try and make it up with exercise.

I don't understand this statement. What does this mean?

My original post mentioned going out for lunch, if I go out for lunch or dinner in future I will try and choose the healthiest option on the menu or as suggested don't have a full portion.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I guess I just need to look harder at the menu for the best options and try and make it up with exercise.

I don't understand this statement. What does this mean?

My original post mentioned going out for lunch, if I go out for lunch or dinner in future I will try and choose the healthiest option on the menu or as suggested don't have a full portion.

I find it can be helpful to look at the menu online before going out.

Then when I'm there, I'll order a green salad without dressing to start.
    Then I go for the half portion option of the main meal.
    And I'll choose the steamed veggies as a side.
    With water to drink ... or diet coke.

• Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    IRL I am a very private person and what I am doing with my life is not something I share with people. When people began to notice the weight loss I simply said that it was in an effort to prolong my life.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I didn't say anything, not even to my wife, except that I started eating things like Greek yogurt and asked for tuna from the grocery store. It coincided with her getting the Beachbody all-access, which I have done a lot of, but now am focusing on lifting.

I didn't say anything because I never considered being on a diet.

Since February, I'm down 45 pounds and look a lot different. I've never told anyone that "I'm on a diet." Now I get asked all the time. I avoid the use of the word diet because I intend to eat the way I'm eating in perpetuity. These are the typical exchanges:

"Wow, you've lost weight; what did you do?" "I took control of the amount I eat and worked on getting more fit."

"Did you cut out all sugar?" "No"

"Are you doing low-carb?" "No"

"Are you eating low fat?" "No"

"Is it because you're working out?" "No....well partly, but it's 80% controlling my food intake" [ETA - this is by far the most popular question. Almost everyone mistakenly believes that people lose weight by spending hours in the gym and that doing cardio 6x per week and lifting before or after every cardio workout is the only way.]

"I could never do what you're doing" "Sure you can"

"Did you stop eating breads?" "No"

"Did you stop eating dessert?" "No"

"Did you stop eating all that processed junk?" "No"

"Did you do a 'cleanse'?" "No"

"Are you eating 'clean'?" "What does that mean? and no, probably not whatever definition you use"

"You must be hungry all the time right?" "No....just sometimes"

"A friend of mine says the only thing that works is to cut out all the 'white' stuff. Is that what you do?" "No"

"Do you ever eat whatever you want?" "Yes, but as long it fits my goals"

"Do you ever eat more than you want to in a day?" "Yes"

"Do you make up for it the next day?" "No...not on purpose"

"Do you fast?" "Depends on the definition...I do IF 5-6 days per week"

"Counting calories must be hard right?" "No"

"Don't you feel restricted doing that?" "No, in fact it's the most freeing food attitude ever"

Every single one of these have been asked in the past 4-5 weeks. I'm sure they'll be more to come....

tl;dr I never tell anyone. They ask all sorts woo-type questions and don't listen to the simple answers.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to know when I'm on a diet, but I'm a foodie and eating is a hobby. So I get offered food a lot but sometimes I just gotta say 'no thank you, I'm back on a diet.'
    Simple as that. It's the easiest way to not give in to temptation AND allow the people around you a chance to offer support.