Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What about fasting? what about Intermittent Fasting? , I need help!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Goldstr324 wrote: »
    What is so funny?

All the woo you're drinking.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    I've tried it plenty of times and it has helped me lose weight because even if you have a big meal in the feeding window, you will still be on a calorie deficit. It teaches you discipline and self control. It's not for everybody though.
  • lindsayking3485
    lindsayking3485 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a bad relationship with food before I started IF. Partially because I felt out of control sometimes, and would eat whatever whenever. I do the 16:8 now and eat from 10-6 each day. This has helped me to feel more in control of my eating and stay on track. There are, of course, physiological benefits as well, involving insulin and human growth factor (you can find good articles on this at bodybuilding.com).
  • TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was on IF 23:1 for a very extended period of time. For the last three months or so, I've been eating 5 times a day, no more than 4 hours apart. I was able to lose weight in both cases, able to build/maintain muscle as well. But in my exercise routine, I feel more energetic now than in the past. Everyone's different, but for me, both IF and non IF seem to be fine. Though, frankly, I prefer eating more frequently.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I eat on a 20/4 intermittent fasting schedule. I generally eat from about 6-10 each day. I get more satisfaction from my limited amount of calories, don't have to worry about a post breakfast/lunch sleepiness crash or hunger, and the calories from my evening intake carry me thru my fasting time.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I do OMAD also. Eat one huge meal once a day. Then fast for 23 hours or so. They say the longer your body fasts, it is more beneficial.. I tried the 18:6, 14:8, (more hours of eating window) and for me, I ate too much. Doing only one meal keeps me from wanting to snack and graze all day. Because I eat all my calories at one sitting, I am so stuffed and full for the next 23 hours. Also I am not restricting what I eat- so I eat sweets, desserts, anything that will fit into my calories. It's pretty simple and extremely easy to do. Look at the OMAD revolution group! It's awesome.
  • coffeeshop2431
    coffeeshop2431 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my son is a health freak and he thinks fasting n only eating in a 6 hour window is the best thing for the body, so I have started eating only between 12pm n 7pm and now I'm finally loosing weight :0)
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I'm doing IF. I lost 70 lbs a few years ago doing calorie counting and faithful food logging, then gained it all back over the years. So, calorie counting works for me but I wasn't successful at maintaining-I lost all discipline when I wasn't absorbed in weight loss mode. Now I'm trying IF with the hope that it will be as successful as calorie counting and more successful at maintaining.

It's working just as well as calorie counting did for me, but I wouldn't say I'm seeing better results. I'm seeing the same results, different method. It is convenient because I've never, ever wanted to eat before being up a few hours. I can make big, special-occasion breakfasts for others and enjoy the cooking but feel repulsed at the idea of eating any of it, and that's been true all my life. So, off the bat, it's very easy for me not to want to start eating until noon even when I'm in the middle of a "don't give a #@%^" phase and eating all the things.

I also don't mind going a day or so without eating SOMETIMES. There are days I can easily go all day without eating and I don't get the hunger pains others talk about. Then there are days I want to try to fast but my hunger is insistent, and those days I just give up on the IF and figure it's not a good day. I do try to limit snacking between meals, because I personally have never felt satiated having multiple small meals throughout the day.

Out of a week, I usually go 3-4 days easily just eating dinner, 1 day fasting all day long (so longer than 24 hours because I don't eat from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed), and the other days I eat 3 meals.

I do have healthy meals that I really, really like planned out so it's not like I'm gorging on cheesy ramen noodles and chocolate cake the days I'm not fasting.

I do limit processed carbs like pasta, rice, and bread. I don't limit natural carbs like fruit or vegetables (i.e., I don't limit potatoes, corn, etc.). I am eating a lot more fat this time, and I'm sure that if I cut out the fat and the carbs entirely, I'd double my weight loss. But I'm hoping to find a solution that is sustainable for me, and I'm giving this a shot. I love healthy foods but I also love creams and butters and oils.

We'll see how this goes. For the past few months, it's working. When I eat, I eat food I really enjoy. I like cooking it and I love eating it and I love entertaining and serving it to my dinner guests. I don't like junk food, but I do like rich food. The tradeoff is that I have to balance that with periods of not eating.

There's always a trade off. Last go around, I ate regularly and every meal was lower-calorie. I enjoyed those meals, but I had to carefully monitor every ingredient to cook them and carefully record every bite taken, and it was hard to sustain. This go round, it's easier and I'm spending less time mentally on thinking about food and its preparation. The hope is that I'll be able to sustain this even when maintaining. Because it's all about finding something that 1) works to reduce your weight and 2) you can keep doing to maintain your weight.

But I'm only a few months in, and don't consider anything a success until it's worked to reduce and then worked to maintain, and I'm not there yet.