Healthy eating advice for student nurse

Options
Hey all,

I've had to start watching my calories as due to me changing my medication, I'm constantly ravenous and my appetite is out of control. I've put on 2 stone in the last couple of months and the heaviest I've ever been. Despite being bigger than I would like its also not financially sustainable due to me being a university student on a very tight income. Also, long shifts and ever changing sleeping patterns constantly mess with having a regular eating pattern and being able to prepare decent meals in advance.

So, my question for everyone is can anyone suggest healthy but low-cost meals that I can make for when on shift and healthy and satisfying meals/snacks to help subdue my ravenous appetite?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    As a trained nurse I understand the need to eat well and cheap! I would suggest pasta salads with lots of veggies and protein, thinking boiled egg, tinned tuna, cooked ham etc. Nuts and dried fruits make good snacks. Other possible cheap meal ideas I use for lunches are vegetable soups, add lentils, rice or small pasta shapes for added oomph! You could accompany this with a cheese or pb sandwich. Take yogurt for a dessert or fresh fruit and you've got a filling meal. I would also suggest a good breakfast will help, think protein to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Changing sleeping patterns alone can make someone feel hungry and feel the need to eat -- sorry you are dealing with that. Some people like snacks throughout their shift. Other people do better with one or two meals only.

You can buy some rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, cut each in fourths and put them in the freezer in freezer zip lock bags. Buy some fresh veggies and to cut up to bring to work.
    Or buy them frozen and heat them in a microwave.

On the weekend, you could make a big pot of chili and after it slightly cools, put it into containers to put in the freezer so you can take it to work during your week.
  • megagaff
    megagaff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a nursing student also and I totally understand the struggle, I'm also a single mom and working full time and it is rough. For a 23 year old, I feel like OLD lol.

Meal prep is my best friend the last year or so. Baby carrots, cashews, avocado, cucumbers, hummus, beans & rice, sandwiches, apples, bananas, berries are all staples and things that you can easily keep with you and eat on the go. Cliff bars have a lot of sugar but I love them for the days I know I won't get breaks, they fit perfectly in my pocket and I can snack on them one bite at a time.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm a student midwife so not quite the same but likely very similar shift requirements. I plan ahead. Cook a meal then put leftovers into containers and write how much of each ingredient is in there to log it and pop in the freezer. Boil a bunch of eggs at the beginning of the week. A box of high protein nut bars, single serve oatmeal for when I'm in a hurry. Homemade healthyish muffins, fruit, almonds. Prelogging my day also helps so I can see where I'm at and only eat what I bring, resist the staff room cake ;)