Eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight (5'2)

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I just started using MyFitnessPal this past week. I am VERY confused at how it works!! I weigh 160 and would love to be anywhere between 130-140 LBS. It said that I need 1200 calories a day. Is that before all the exercise or after? Do I eat back the calories that I lose? What do I need to do to lose weight and not just maintain!?!? LoL so very confused!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post is well over a year old and most people will just read the OP and respond. You might try starting your own thread for better responses. :smile:
  • vidyajg
    vidyajg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try juice and fruit diet every 15 days for 3 days......3 days only fruits and juices and then 1200 calorie diet for 15 days then again 3 days fruits and juices
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Try juice and fruit diet every 15 days for 3 days......3 days only fruits and juices and then 1200 calorie diet for 15 days then again 3 days fruits and juices

^Lmfao.

No.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I'd gnaw off my arm if I tried this.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Nope nope nope nope
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 on a good day. I'm NO expert by any means and have problems being consistent in my weight loss, but I can tell you what works for me. Keep in mind I work a ton and my hubby and I have a 6 yr old with sports activities and a very active 14 month old. Not a lot of time to work out.......however, if I keep my calories between 1350 and 1450 I steadily lose weight. However, I have to keep that calorie count even through weekends and holidays (minus Christmas hehe) (I always go all out on my birthday and Christmas--thats about it). Technically you shouldnt have cheat days anyways, because it's about a lifestyle. No one is ever going to be perfect, hitting their calorie goals every single day without fail forever, but I know I have to aim for that 1350-1450 to lose, I can't vary between that and 1800, otherwise I just maintain.
    It sucks a lot, but it's worth it in the end! I've noticed once I get to a desired weight, it's super easy to maintain.
    Good luck!
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump your calories up a couple hundres and continue doing what you are doing now as far as exercise. Your metabolism might of slowed down some depending on how long you been at 1200 cals. Try High Intensity Interval Training 3 day out of the week with some weight training to keep your body burning those calories. Switch it up every once in a while.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to this, it's very bad advice.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love year old threads.
  • ninarhys
    ninarhys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This amount of weight is ideal. Look for it to be about 2 lbs per week. This is the safest way to take off the weight. Keep up the good work!
  • pattymausolf
    pattymausolf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To the original poster, did you ever find what works for you? I'm in the same boat. I'm eating 1200 calories per day and lost 4 pounds the first week, but then lost nothing the following week, despite eating the same amount of calories as that first week. I work out 3-4 times a week and stay within my calorie goal. I'd love to know what finally worked for you. Thanks!
  • Savannah2990
    Savannah2990 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My weight lose never shows till late 6th day in evening or 7th day .
    Takes me full week .
    Why I do not know , but it does it every time .
    It's the way by body work I guess so I'll go with the flow -)..
    Plus I must weight in about 6pm
  • TheRawMama
    TheRawMama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    People keep commenting that this entry is a year old -- but obviously it's being searched for and still relevant. ;) I came here for the same reason. Eating 1200 or less and exercising but not losing anything. I am going to try to eat more, but psychologically it goes against everything we learn about "losing weight". After all, we're overweight because we do eat more. ;) I sure wish it wouldn't have happened my first week, though -- because the first few weeks one does really need some kind of bodily notification they're on the right track and anything is possible.. and when you completely overhaul how you eat and exercise and get no where.. it's frustrating.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This is a four year old thread, not a year old thread! But anyway, in the spirit of zombie threads, and for all the people who have posted recently saying they are struggling with similar issues - have you read the stickied most helpful forum posts at the top of each section? I bet the answers you seek are in there!

Here is a collection of favorites to get you started:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

And in particular, for the new posters:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

And just to hit on what seems to be a common theme in this thread...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    And this is a 7 month old post. Sigh.
    Damn it!!!
  • lumenosis
    lumenosis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I stopped being scared to eat back a good portion of my exercise calories and since then I have been losing faster. Trust the MFP math. On exercise days you need to eat more than 1200.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I tried 1200 calories a day plus exercise, and it's the worse to be consistent about (and I had to lose 70lbs, not 30). Like others before me have said, up the calories, try eating more proteins and fats (higher in calories), and add more strength and resistance to your workouts. You need energy to fuel your body, and you get energy through food.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    And this is a 7 month old post. Sigh.
    Damn it!!!

Not anymore!
  • in51der
    in51der Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lordy lawks a mussy this is an old, old thread and yet it somehow refuses to die