Keep injuring myself while running

Options
I am pretty sure I don't have the proper type of sneakers to run in, but until I can save up to buy new sneakers, is there any stretches I can do specifically for my feet to keep them from getting strained? I had to take a week off with my last foot injury and I was dying to run all week. :(

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    No amount of stretching will matter if your shoes aren't any good. The injury occurred BECAUSE of the shoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I don't have the proper type of sneakers to run in, but until I can save up to buy new sneakers, is there any stretches I can do specifically for my feet to keep them from getting strained? I had to take a week off with my last foot injury and I was dying to run all week. :(

swim or bike till you can get proper shoes
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Tried running hill sprints in old worn out shoes and gave myself a nasty case of plantar fasciitis. I got it in April, and it's just now clearing up. I finally invested in a good pair of Brooks Adrenalines, and my feet have been fine since, though I'm still taking it easier until my left foot is back to 100%.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If it's bad shoes, you're better off doing short distances barefoot, if that's an option
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to run too fast too soon, being a beginner? That might also be a cause of injury as your whole muscular-skelletal system still needs to get used to the unusual mode of moving. You're not telling what kind of injury you get. Or are your shoes too small? Running shoes should be bigger and wider than normal shoes generally.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling the same pain. So i have given up running and now just skip rope. Far less injuries and all the same benefits and so much more better for your joints and tendons than running!

Baloney.jpg

OP I'd forgo running until you've had a chance to get an appropriate pair of shoes. As others have suggested there are activities that will help build / maintain your aerobic base until you're ready. BTW I think skipping is great exercise it's just the perpetuation of the myth of running being hard on joints that elicited my editorial comment.....
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

A couple of things could be going on here.

First, as suggested multiple times upthread, having shoes that fit you specifically as a runner is important. If you think the shoes are a problem, replace the shoes before you do any volume of running.

Second, a foot problem is not necessarily caused by something in the foot. When I was a new runner, I got a foot problem. Ended up going to a PT. She identified weak hip flexors, and opined that this kept me from having good control of my foot strike, which resulted in the foot problems. She had me do a bunch of stuff to strengthen weaknesses that were specific to me, and fixed several problems that I didn't even realize were problems until they went away.

So, free advice, worth what you paid for it: Get fitted for proper running shoes. Take it easy for a while when breaking them in. And if the foot problems recur, see a physical therapist to have your entire running chain evaluated. The underlying cause might not be in the feet.