Am I too skinny and underweight?

Options
I am 18 and a 5 foot 10 female. I weigh 9 and a half stone, am I too skinny and should I gain weight? Any advice would be great

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You're at the lower end of a healthy/normal BMI.
    What do you think about your physique? Do you think you look too skinny?
  • laurenhills99
    laurenhills99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Many people have said I look too skinny but I don't know if it's because I used to be 13 stone and it's a big difference. I personally don't think I do but I'm not sure
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 18 and a 5 foot 10 female. I weigh 9 and a half stone, am I too skinny and should I gain weight? Any advice would be great

at 9:53 this morning you thought you were too skinny? whats changed?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40170501#Comment_40170501
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Well since you are on the lower end, and according to your other thread you say you are getting dizzy spells, I would probably gain some weight especially since you are still young. Again I don't know what you look like or any other details about you, but sometimes we have skewed views of ourselves. I'd say building a good muscle foundation will probably do well for you.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    In any case, have the dizzy spells checked out by a doctor. There you can also be weighted and might get to know your body fat % to get a better idea how close to "unhealthy underweight" you are.
  • laurenhills99
    Options

at 9:53 this morning you thought you were too skinny? whats changed?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40170501#Comment_40170501

I'm very unsure whether I need to gain weight or not as I don't think I look too skinny but others are saying I should gain weight
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Are you happy with your body composition?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think you need to talk to a doctor. Adding some muscle can help you not look skinny while getting you higher into the healthy range.
  • laurenhills99
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    A lot more so than I was because my weight made me depressed however I don't feel physically healthy as I'm tired and dizzy so it's difficult to know what to do
  • sardelsa
    Options
    A lot more so than I was because my weight made me depressed however I don't feel physically healthy as I'm tired and dizzy so it's difficult to know what to do

In that case, I definitely think a trip to the doctor will be a good idea.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

it might be what you're eating more than how much. can you open your diary?

i agree with seeing a doctor about the dizzyness.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Judging strictly by your height and weight I would not think you were too skinny. But a lot depends on how you keep your weight that low. How fit are you? Do you exercise regularly? The dizzy spells could be an indication that you are eating too little, or could be something else.

When I was your age my BMI was a little lower than yours and I was quite fit. I didn't starve myself or anything I was just very active.
  • laurenhills99
    Options
    Judging strictly by your height and weight I would not think you were too skinny. But a lot depends on how you keep your weight that low. How fit are you? Do you exercise regularly? The dizzy spells could be an indication that you are eating too little, or could be something else.

When I was your age my BMI was a little lower than yours and I was quite fit. I didn't starve myself or anything I was just very active.

I was exercising everyday however my parents made me stop exercising to gain weight however my weight has continued to decrease. I haven't worked out in about a month now
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Many people have said I look too skinny but I don't know if it's because I used to be 13 stone and it's a big difference. I personally don't think I do but I'm not sure

Over what time frame did you lose the weight? While it's true that people around us become conditioned to seeing us at a certain size and a healthy weight can seem too thin to them, if you have been pursuing an overly aggressive rate of weight loss, or have become unbalanced in your habits, this could be what's giving rise to concern.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I was exercising everyday however my parents made me stop exercising to gain weight however my weight has continued to decrease. I haven't worked out in about a month now

how many calories do you eat per day?
  • laurenhills99
    Options

I was trying to eat 1000 however now I have increased it to 2000
  • laurenhills99
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Over what time frame did you lose the weight? While it's true that people around us become conditioned to seeing us at a certain size and a healthy weight can seem too thin to them, if you have been pursuing an overly aggressive rate of weight loss, or have become unbalanced in your habits, this could be what's giving rise to concern.
    Over a period of about 9 months
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Are you actually eating 2,000? For how many days have you hit 2,000?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

To be honest, that sounds a little crazy. Keep exercising and eat more! You want to be thin, fit and healthy (I hope!). You do that by properly fueling your body and regularly using your muscles.

Since you are on this app, set it up to maintain your weight and eat what it tells you.
  • laurenhills99
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Are you actually eating 2,000? For how many days have you hit 2,000?

Tbh I rarely hit 2000. I tend to go over that once a week as a cheat day but on average I eat between 1200-1500