Whats the logic behind this calculations?

Options
This is wrong? or am i thinking wrong?
hut5wl41uu6a.png

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Evidently you have an activity tracker linked to your account and that tracker believes you will burn 186 calories fewer than mfp thinks you will burn. A "+" amount there is a negative calorie adjustment due to an activity tracker.

So it's not wrong as it is. It may not make sense if you're expecting a calorie boost from your activity tracker, but it's not wrong. Unless you don't have an activity tracker linked to your account. Then something is wrong.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It means that MFP looked at your activity tracker and estimated that, based on your calorie burn at the time of your last sync, you would burn 186 calories less than maintenance. In order to keep your deficit consistent, it took that amount off of your goal, and you right now have overeaten by 267 calories.

This is what the negative adjustment does. Move more and turn that positive.
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you have MFP Premium, you can turn off the "eat your exercise calories" function. Then you set a calorie target and MFP sticks to the target, regardless of your workouts or activity trackers.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Also, in the non premium function, you can disable negative calorie adjustments. Meaning it won't ever do this kind of thing to you.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh, this is what negative adjustments look like. Good to know.
  • flemmingss
    flemmingss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hmm, i se the value in negative in the website:
    8bcqcfgj75vq.png

but not in the app?13yvd2vadmpv.png
    3h36ansuivm1.png
    mranlett wrote: »
    If you have MFP Premium, you can turn off the "eat your exercise calories" function. Then you set a calorie target and MFP sticks to the target, regardless of your workouts or activity trackers.
    Well, I don't want to do that, i just want to be 2-400kcal under to loose as little muscles as possible

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    My word, that's confusing.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    Because it needs to be as confusing as possible, it displays differently in different places. A negative adjustment (meaning you're not burning enough calories) shows as a "+" on the main page of the web. It shows as a "-" on the app. I would assume the exercise diary entries to be similarly confusing (in terms of +/- signs).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    My word, that's confusing.

And it shows up differently in different places (web vs app vs what screen on the web, etc.). When you break it down, it's all about what specific value is ultimately being displayed (net calories vs calories remaining) and/or a total amount to be added or subtracted to the day's allowance-but it's extremely confusing.
  • flemmingss
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mranlett wrote: »
    Losing or not losing muscle is not necessarily a function of the calorie count, but a function of the mix of macros you eat and when you eat them. The best defense for this is to get a scale or hand-held electronic body fat monitor. They're not very precise, but using the same one consistently will help you track body fat and muscle composition. That + Excel for tracking trends are your friends.
    I have a Omron BF511 i use, it is a ok tool to use, but not that precise. I use "Weight logger" to log
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kochka.android.weightlogger

This is my stats for now, idk how good or bad it is:
    vzqlanqkud2s.png
    j1mosron928w.png
    wtcy5vmkwtjw.png

for macros, I eat a lot of protein (what I need++), medium fat, low carb
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's nothing difficult about it. You just ate 267 more calories than what your goal was.
  • Ready2Getcut
    Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There's nothing difficult about it. You just ate 267 more calories than what your goal was.

He's right- a net Calorie surplus is displayed in "RED"!

But wait.....The exercise calories were added to the daily total, instead of being subtracted.

It might have to do with how the exercise was entered. If you entered it manually ( from your own tracker or a separate app)- it needs to be entered as "-186"
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

If you only look at the bottom line, true, but what's confusing is that it's arriving at that number by applying a negative amount of exercise. I can see how that sort of makes sense where an activity tracker is involved and it's been a lazy day - but it's far from intuitive!
  • flemmingss
    Options
    okey, so it may be somthing wrong here as I see it.
    anyway, I still was in a kcal deficit this day as I read it?
  • Ready2Getcut
    Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    flemmingss wrote: »
    okey, so it may be somthing wrong here as I see it.
    anyway, I still was in a kcal deficit this day as I read it?

yes- 1985 net calories
  • flemmingss
    edited August 2017
    Options
    also, what is the logic behind this? (My "activety level" is Sedentary)
    6137 steps = -64kcal
    6047 steps = 172 kcal
    4551 steps = 215 kcal

somtimes I eat too little, and the next dey the steps-kcal have totaly changed and then it looks like i did eat to much...

???
    mtgwdronq9fn.png
    va9ybkzg00h7.png
    xvsh0ql2z37b.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    flemmingss wrote: »
    also, what is the logic behind this? (My "activety level" is Sedentary)
    6137 steps = -64kcal
    6047 steps = 172 kcal
    4551 steps = 215 kcal

somtimes I eat too little, and the next dey the steps-kcal have totaly changed and then it looks like i did eat to much...

???

I was thinking time of day but if the two 17:45 and the 00:49 are times than I am even more confused.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Have you checked that the time zones in both apps are set to the same zone?