Hate Exercise

Options
I know that I need to exercise more but I work an 8 to 5 job at the moment and when i get home I'm just hungry and tired so it's hard to find the motivation to do it. Any advice?

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I work 7-4 and wake up at 4:35 am to work out before work. I love working out and even I won't do it after work on a regular basis, so I can't imagine someone that doesn't even like working out wanting to do it at the end of the day when you've been thinking all day about how much it's going to suck. My advice, find a time and place that will work with your schedule and JUST DO IT (not a nike endorsement. I don't like nike, but it is relevant.).
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, then exercise is not essential. However, something would be better than nothing. Find SOMETHING that you enjoy doing at the very least. Maybe look to a health professional as to WHY you have no juice in the afternoons. Could you perhaps do something in the mornings, or during lunch time? What is your schedule like before work?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you hate it, accept that and move on. No reason to feel guilty for not exercising. You can lose weight without it.

If you like having strong muscles, cardiovascular health, a desirable body composition, and reducing the risk of medical conditions like high blood pressure, stroke, type 2 diabetes, etc., then I would recommend against not exercising.
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can you up your N,E,A,T throughout the week, could you find 10-20 min to go for a walk at lunch time or in the evening and weekends, Perhaps hoover and dust the house/flat every couple of days, stand up at every TV add break, You would be amazed at how many calories you can burn by just standing up and walking across the room and back every 20 minutes. So in short if you hate formal exercise don't think of formal exercise think of practical ways to up your activity. Good luck on your journey :)
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Afaye95 wrote: »
    I know that I need to exercise more but I work an 8 to 5 job at the moment and when i get home I'm just hungry and tired so it's hard to find the motivation to do it. Any advice?

GO in the morning. I'm the same way so I just get it done in the morning. Now, I love it and even on my rest days, I get up and do something in the morning because it wakes me up.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    If you hate it, accept that and move on. No reason to feel guilty for not exercising. You can lose weight without it.

If you like having strong muscles, cardiovascular health, a desirable body composition, and reducing the risk of medical conditions like high blood pressure, stroke, type 2 diabetes, etc., then I would recommend against not exercising.

I agree that not exercising is far from ideal.

I think not exercising and then feeling guilty for it is even worse. If you're not going to do it, accept your nature and stop feeling bad about it.
  • curlygirlusn
    curlygirlusn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Get up every hour at work and take a few laps around the office. Wear a pedometer or other fitness tracking device. Aim for 5,000 steps, then work your way up to 10,0000.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I work 7-4 I take walks on my breaks and I do yoga most days when I get home maybe 20min maybe an hour depending on how my body feels. You don't need to work out to lose weight just CICO, but doing just a little may give you more energy. I hate to run but I love to walk find something that you like to do.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Start small with shorter workouts so you don't feel overwhelmed and find something you like to do. I used to hate exercise too, years of gym class in school traumatized me (I was awkward and bad at sports). I found I really like hiking outside, kickboxing and kettlebells. Find something you are not going to be bored doing and it will make a big difference.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I was never a huge fan of exercise either. I just started with very short workouts (30 minutes or less) that were over so quickly that they were almost a non-issue. In fact, the 'high' I got from getting the workout done was well worth the minimal effort it took to complete those short workouts. Over time, I actually started enjoying exercise and increased the amount of exercise that I do each week. Having a couple of choices available that you don't mind helps a ton to avoid monotony/boredom (I generally choose between running, elliptical, or body weight training).

Streaming/on-demand television is a godsend to ease the mental pain of starting an exercise program. Find a good 30 minute program to watch and I guarantee that your workouts will fly by.

In fact, I started taking a really easy hour on the elliptical on my rest days over the weekends while catching up on TV series or Netflix programs. It's barely harder than sitting on the couch and yet I get an extra 500 calorie burn from it! I never looked forward to working out on the elliptical until it became my time to catch up on all of my boob tube.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Afaye95 wrote: »

I do it first thing in the morning. The very first thing in the morning. If that means going to be sooner so I can get up earlier without having my brain melt, so be it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    just force it into your routine like brushing teeth, washing and going to work. you may not love it but slowly get used to it
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Find something you love and it will take the "work" out of workout. I detest traditional gyms. I found something non-traditional and niche, and I love it and crave it. I need it like oxygen or food. Find that something. It is out there.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can do little things like if you get the bus then get off a stop early and walk. Do some starjumps (or whatever) whilst the kettle boils/microwave is going/dinner is about to come out of the oven. Just make an effort to move a bit more and it all adds up.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I didn't worry about exercise for the first year and lost 1-2 pounds a week with just changing my diet
    That being said, as I got lower in weight, it was harder to lose and had to find some kind of exercise. When/if you get into exercise you have to find something that you actually enjoy, rather than it being a chore. I would say keep on working at your diet and let exercise come in a bit later