Rotator cuff tendinitis

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    Have you tried taking an anti-inflammatory? Not sure what's up with my shoulder but a couple of Voltarin really helped.

IMO bad advice. Don't take random pain meds for undiagnosed pain.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone. I just have no idea what I even did to Aggravate it in the first place..... it's a mystery!

Last night I took 2 Tylenol aches and pains and I actually slept pretty good. I could only sleep on my belly which I am fine with. Sleeping on my side seems to shift it in a position that hurts and when on my back. I am definitely trying to rest it and not move it as much but it's hard as I work with 1-2 year olds!!!!
    I agree I think my nerve is also pinched a bit with the other sensations I am getting. Again how the heck did all this happen? Just from sleeping funny???
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »
    Thx everyone. I just have no idea what I even did to Aggravate it in the first place..... it's a mystery!

Last night I took 2 Tylenol aches and pains and I actually slept pretty good. I could only sleep on my belly which I am fine with. Sleeping on my side seems to shift it in a position that hurts and when on my back. I am definitely trying to rest it and not move it as much but it's hard as I work with 1-2 year olds!!!!
    I agree I think my nerve is also pinched a bit with the other sensations I am getting. Again how the heck did all this happen? Just from sleeping funny???

Usually it's chronic. It took me 15 years to injure mine... one day at a time using a computer with less than perfect posture.
  • lin7604
    Options

Usually it's chronic. It took me 15 years to injure mine... one day at a time using a computer with less than perfect posture.

I guess that fact I always sleep on the shoulder could of done it???? 40 years of sleeping on my left side!

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Yep, it took me longer, about 30 years, but after that had 6 shoulder operations. I asked the doctor if my lifting was an issue, he said, nope, the time sitting at a desk on a computer.

I'm 6'2", the typical desk is designed for someone 5'8 to 5'10". Doesn't take a rocket scientist.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Tendinitis is inflammation or irritation. Stretching doesn't really reduce inflammation. Ice and ibuprofen would be better, if that's what it is.
    How long does that usually take? It seems to of gotten worse so quickly. I just need some relief. I will make a appt but I have a feeling they will wAnt more which means me taking time off to get X-rays or whatever and go figure I just had a day off for a appt. so won't get any more time off

1 week to 2 months depending on how severe it is, the exact site, etc.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have either a torn rotator or bursitis in my left shoulder, due to either a fall or my attempt at a pushup challenge. I went to a doctor about 5 months after the initial injury, when I had gotten to the point that I couldn't lift my left arm above chest high and was having a lot of pain putting on clothes, etc. He gave me cortisone shots in the shoulder, which helped a little, but not a lot. So I went to PT twice a week for electric stim., icing, and exercises. After about 6 weeks, I stopped the office visits but continued the exercises. I've been doing them for about 3 months. The exercises helped a lot in terms of getting mobility back but it still hurts to lie on that shoulder. I was also told that surgery is only necessary for a serious tear. Otherwise it will heal on its own, but it takes a long time - sometimes a year or more.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I guess that fact I always sleep on the shoulder could of done it???? 40 years of sleeping on my left side!

Ah, now you tell us. Mention that to the doctor. Try this stretch on your left side for a minute and see if it helps:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bO224K6mS2c
  • lin7604
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Ah, now you tell us. Mention that to the doctor. Try this stretch on your left side for a minute and see if it helps:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bO224K6mS2c

I Honestly never thought that is what did it? But it's the only thing I can think of! I can't think of anything else that caused this! I just woke up one morning feeling off and figured I slept funny, well it's never gotten better only worse.

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    I get tendonitis flair ups in my wrists, I take glucosamine every day & turmeric tabs during flair ups, it helps a lot
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I hurt my shoulder in September, 2016 playing pickleball (like tennis for old people). I had the same symptoms - tried icing, rest, etc. Nothing worked. In October I saw an Ortho Dr. who did an X-ray which revealed nothing was broken and gave me a cortisone shot. He also gave me some exercises to do, which hurt more when I did them. I still hadn't improved by January and went back to the Ortho Dr. for another cortisone shot. He said, "Nope - not going to work", and scheduled an MRI. The MRI revealed a complete tear of the a rotator cuff tendon. I had surgery on 1/31/17. A tear is not going to heal.
  • Polo265
    Options
    I hurt my shoulder last September. I finally saw a doctor 6 months later because it was worse, not better. He sent me to PT, and the physical therapist I had made it much worse. I'm not sure if that would have happened with any PT, but the one I had was pretty aggressive with my shoulder. The only positive part of PT is that I learned to place a pillow under my arm while sleeping, which reduced the aggravation to the shoulder through the night.

Next step was to get an MRI, which showed a torn rotator cuff tendon. These do not get better or heal on their own, but require surgery which completely immobilizes the arm for 6 weeks, and doesn't heal completely for 6 - 12 months. Those who have the surgery say it's worth it.

I'm hesitating on the surgery because my shoulder has gradually become less painful and more limber over the last 3 months. It's tolerable to do day to day activities, but not exercise. Since I make my living as a pianist, surgery is out of the question for the time being. I would probably miss 2 -3 months of work and can't afford that right now.

My advice: See an orthopedic dr. who specializes in shoulders and ask for an MRI before letting a physical therapist touch you! Doctors don't like to recommend particular physical therapists usually, but ask if any other patients have given good reports about a particular therapist, and the dr. might pass that along to you.

Keep icing and good luck!

This.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have this and it sucks so bad. Unfortunately for me it comes and goes. It has never really gone away. I suggest a physical therapist so that s/he can give you the appropriate exercises for your case. Cold compresses help out a bunch, so I would do those daily.
  • Polo265
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sometimes working on a shoulder with a torn tendon (even with a trained therapist) can cause irreparable damage. Consult an ortho dr.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    I hurt my shoulder last September. I finally saw a doctor 6 months later because it was worse, not better. He sent me to PT, and the physical therapist I had made it much worse. I'm not sure if that would have happened with any PT, but the one I had was pretty aggressive with my shoulder. The only positive part of PT is that I learned to place a pillow under my arm while sleeping, which reduced the aggravation to the shoulder through the night.

Next step was to get an MRI, which showed a torn rotator cuff tendon. These do not get better or heal on their own, but require surgery which completely immobilizes the arm for 6 weeks, and doesn't heal completely for 6 - 12 months. Those who have the surgery say it's worth it.

I'm hesitating on the surgery because my shoulder has gradually become less painful and more limber over the last 3 months. It's tolerable to do day to day activities, but not exercise. Since I make my living as a pianist, surgery is out of the question for the time being. I would probably miss 2 -3 months of work and can't afford that right now.

My advice: See an orthopedic dr. who specializes in shoulders and ask for an MRI before letting a physical therapist touch you! Doctors don't like to recommend particular physical therapists usually, but ask if any other patients have given good reports about a particular therapist, and the dr. might pass that along to you.

Keep icing and good luck!

This.

Easier said then done! My husband had been waiting almost a year to see one!!!!

I really wish I knew what did it and what is causing the pain. I tried to get into a dr today, no luck. I'll call in the to see if I can get into a walk in but I may be stuck for 2 weeks till I'm on holidays to actually get in to see someone!

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Being totally honest with you you need to see Orthopedist to get a diagnosis. Don't ask people for their opinion on this website they don't know what they're talking about
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had rotator cuff injuries from tennis. at my worst I couldn't lift my arms above my shoulders or reach behind my back. Resting is key, no overhead weight lifting, I stay away from anti-inflammatories. But at the end of the day, physical therapy is the ONLY thing that really worked for me. Strengthening the muscles around rotator cuff with resistance bands. Rotation, abduction, extensions.. See attached image. I did these diligently and I could not believe how effective they are. Zero residual pain right now. Trust your body - it will heal without all that crappy supplements and medications. Connective tissue injuries require rest + surrounding muscle strengthening.
    18iwrwh9y2mv.gif
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'd go get a physiotherapist to look at it.
  • Carl_Carlson
    Carl_Carlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Eschew the advice of the fitness gurus and supplement salesmen and seek competent medical advice. The shoulder is an extremely complex joint. Don’t complicate a potentially debilitating injury by trying to exercise the injury away. Not wise to trade a cortisone shot for an expensive & painful surgical procedure. Make a medical appointment.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Being totally honest with you you need to see Orthopedist to get a diagnosis. Don't ask people for their opinion on this website they don't know what they're talking about

Yes obviously! I did see a dr and would always go with what a dr suggests. I just like to ask others what they did still while injured exercise wise as I may not of thought of something that still would be ok to do. That's all it's looking for suggestions! I am not asking one to diagnose me and test me! Lol