Fitbit Blaze?

DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I sold my Apple Watch as it never worked with MyFitnessPal. On it's own it was fine but it's no good to me if it doesn't sync my workouts. So I'm looking at replacing it with a fitbit blaze. Any feedback? I'd be interested to know how well they work with MyFitnessPal specifically. TIA

Replies

• MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    edited August 2017
    In response to a class action lawsuit brought on by Fitbit customers in California who sued because the devices were grossly overestimating their heart rate and step counts, Fitbit responded by stating that they "[were] entertainment devices" and "aren't intended to be scientific or medical devices". Entered into evidence was a study showing an average of +75 BPM. Take from that what you will.

Personally, mine was unreliable and I could not trust it for HRM. Steps I thought was fine.

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Depends on the type of activities that you perform. If your focus is primarily run then you should consider a Garmin. I have the FitBit Blaze and the device sometimes (grossly) overestimates my calories burned while underestimates the distances I run.
  • DietPrada
    I ride my horse and I go to the gym 3 times a week. Treadmill and rowing machine mainly. I'm not a runner.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    DietPrada wrote: »
    I ride my horse and I go to the gym 3 times a week. Treadmill and rowing machine mainly. I'm not a runner.

The Blaze will be perfect for you. I honestly loved my Blaze when I started to go to the gym. You can select many different activities. Good luck
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2017
    ABabilonia wrote: »

The Blaze will be perfect for you. I honestly loved my Blaze when I started to go to the gym. You can select many different activities. Good luck

Just because it has the activities does not make them accurate. The Blaze would be accurate for the treadmill. Actually I would be concerned about false steps from horseback riding. Someone else might have experience with that.

Activity trackers like Fitbit are meant for steady state, step-based, cardio like walking or running. Although they can track other things, it can be inconsistent and inaccurate. I have a Blaze and do enjoy it, but I'm aware of its limitations and take account for that.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    I love my fitbit blaze :)
  • DietPrada
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    ABabilonia wrote: »

Just because it has the activities does not make them accurate. The Blaze would be accurate for the treadmill. Actually I would be concerned about false steps from horseback riding. Someone else might have experience with that.

Activity trackers like Fitbit are meant for steady state, step-based, cardio like walking or running. Although they can track other things, it can be inconsistent and inaccurate. I have a Blaze and do enjoy it, but I'm aware of its limitations and take account for that.

I'm not worried about this. Other fitness trackers I used gave me alot of steps for a 2 hour ride. I only eat back about a quarter of the calories, but it is quite a workout so it's fine.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    I enjoy my Fitbit Blaze, but do recognize that it overestimates my TDEE by about 300-500 cal a day. It does work well in conjunction with MFP and Map My Run. Once I was able to figure out the average it overestimated, i was able to truly use it as a tool to complement my healthy lifestyle goals. Before I realized the inaccuracies, the Fitbit only added to my stress.... but now that I got the trendline down and stopped evaluating the data as gospel, I am glad I have it. Reminds me to stay active and accountable.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I love my Blaze.