I am a cna and i am wondering

Options

Replies

• AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    timsla wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    I'm a registered nurse in Australia. There can be a bit of a hierarchy and 'eat your young' attitude in nursing.

Gonna work the term "eat your young attitude" more into my lexicon

Yes, samesies.
  • curvylicious369
    curvylicious369 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, and I'm assuming in nursing you know they kind of like to follow the chain of command almost like the military. Everyone answers to someone else. First of all make sure you're doing your job. Idk what you meant by "what if she tells on me to get me fired". If you're doing everything right I doubt that would be an issue. I would first try to talk to the nurse about the tension between you and if you can't work it out, I would go to her immediate supervisor, if she's an lpn she probably works under an RN, if she's an RN she probably has a unit manager, if not then you go to the DON, then administrator or HR. Are you the only one she has a problem with? Maybe you can ask to switch assignments so you don't work under her?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I GOT IT!, I'm great at this!! Been in the medical field for 12 years. I would definitely speak to her directly, just come off as curious,and maybe ask if you've done something to upset her. It will make her TRY to answer for her actions while making you look like someone who cares that they might have made her angry. Say something like "Hey Tina, did I do something to make you angry with me because when you said or did A,B,or C I was wondering if you did it because I did something wrong to irritate you. Then she will have to sit there and answer on why she is being such a B!tch. but remember be POLITE and sincere, like it's something that you want to rectify and get to the bottom of because you care. Then after that everytime she is rude to you you ask her if you did something to irritate her then and there and it will automatically bring to her attention that you see her as being rude or mean and it will make her explain her attitude right there, and if she has no reason she'll look stupid and petty and she'll get tired of it real quick. It's hard to maintain mean when someone else is maintaining nice. But no reason you can't ask her each and every time she does it until she learns. Also after the first time speaking to her, I would try to do it when others are around so they can "see" how reasonable and polite you're being while broadcasting what she did or said in front of others. That way later if you have to then at least you have witnesses showing you tried to resolve things amicably a few times.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse

Could you take my temp?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm a registered nurse in Australia. There can be a bit of a hierarchy and 'eat your young' attitude in nursing.

My advice to a nurse here would be to speak to a union support person for best course of action but I'm not sure if your unions offer the same type of guidance.

If it's reasonable to speak directly with the person then do so.

If not, speak with the nursing team leader or nurse unit manager. Ask them to help resolve your issues.

Be objective. Give an example of the type of behaviour that you feel is inappropriate. Outline any efforts you have taken to avoid conflict or reconcile differences with this person. Do this via email if need be so there is a written record.

Read up on your company's code of conduct so you are aware if either of you is in breach of this.

You have a right to be treated respectfully in your workplace.

A union support person? This is the United States. Less than 1% of our jobs are unionized.

I thought this was an Internet fitness app rather than the USA - however I clearly stated that this is the course of action I would suggest for a nurse here in Australia (where virtually all nurses are union members as our professional indemnity insurance is generally through the union).

Australia? What are you doing on the American Internet!

Oh no! I've made a terrible mistake!

;)
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    If she is disrespecting you AND your boss then its up to your boss, you can speak to your boss about it and get their input, but if they arent going to take any action then it depends on what exactly they are saying. your not going to like everyone you work with.
  • curvylicious369
    curvylicious369 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse

Could you take my temp?

@SomebodyWakeUpHIcks sure, bend over ;)

• FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What if she tells on me to try to get me fired?

If it's a legitimate complaint, I think this would possibly fall under the safe harbor laws guidelines. Not sure if it applies to cna's or not though. If not it really should. If it's just personal issues, I'm not sure.
  • weightloss_acc
    weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Actually what was happening is was i came into work and started filling my ice container up to be passed while the other co workers just watched. I proseded with my job and started passing ice, and writing my stock as I passed the ice cups. I passed all the ice cups got my stock and started passing the briefs and gloves.

Then the nurse down the hall says Morganne, why did you pass ice with out my other team member, I said She saw me passing ice and refused to help me, she knew what I was doing , the nurse said "why didn't you tell her to start?" I said I don't have the right to do that and she goes uh idc don't do it again , I said ok okay. And answered my call light. When I walked in the room the room the nurse said uh I am so tired of the disrespecting. I did NOTHING.
  • weightloss_acc
    Options
    I'm a nurse, and I'm assuming in nursing you know they kind of like to follow the chain of command almost like the military. Everyone answers to someone else. First of all make sure you're doing your job. Idk what you meant by "what if she tells on me to get me fired". If you're doing everything right I doubt that would be an issue. I would first try to talk to the nurse about the tension between you and if you can't work it out, I would go to her immediate supervisor, if she's an lpn she probably works under an RN, if she's an RN she probably has a unit manager, if not then you go to the DON, then administrator or HR. Are you the only one she has a problem with? Maybe you can ask to switch assignments so you don't work under her?

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Actually what was happening is was i came into work and started filling my ice container up to be passed while the other co workers just watched. I proseded with my job and started passing ice, and writing my stock as I passed the ice cups. I passed all the ice cups got my stock and started passing the briefs and gloves.

Then the nurse down the hall says Morganne, why did you pass ice with out my other team member, I said She saw me passing ice and refused to help me, she knew what I was doing , the nurse said "why didn't you tell her to start?" I said I don't have the right to do that and she goes uh idc don't do it again , I said ok okay. And answered my call light. When I walked in the room the room the nurse said uh I am so tired of the disrespecting. I did NOTHING.

I don't think that's reportable behaviour.
  • weightloss_acc
    Options

I was just stressed out when i posted this , I am currently in the progress of starting nursing school. I work as hard as I can. I want to be able to get a job as a nurse when I do get out. I just don't want anyone trying to stop me. The nurse doesn't like me. She is young
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I was just stressed out when i posted this , I am currently in the progress of starting nursing school. I work as hard as I can. I want to be able to get a job as a nurse when I do get out. I just don't want anyone trying to stop me. The nurse doesn't like me. She is young
    There will always be people who dislike you. I live by the kill them with kindness motto.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Ok. :)

Maybe try not to assume all the duty yourself, and perform on your own, when it comes to dutys they want 2 persons doing together.

Don't be afraid to just approach and ask your coworker, "Would you like to pass ice together now, since 2 persons should be doing that together?" This goes for anything else that they want 2 persons doing together.

I hope everything is better now at work. :)
    Thanks for coming back to update your thread.
    Have a good day.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    be0961f1e2284afcb3528a1dbca5eaef--snow-flake-tattoo-snow-tattoo.jpg
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options

Also remember this. Being young has nothing to do with it. Try to put yourself in her shoes. You worked very hard to become a nurse, and how tiring it was to become one. And then here comes a cna, that doesn't follow procedure, to work as a team. Just be aware of your tone and body language with speaking with her. Just the same way that you would want her to speak to you.
  • weightloss_acc
    Options
    True but I can't not work because other cnas wants to be lazy