Chicken tasting nasty the next day??

Options
thepinas
thepinas Posts: 38
Is it just me or does anyone else's chicken taste nasty the next day?? I made grilled me 4 oz. of chicken last night with one cup white rice for lunch today, I microwaved it and ate a spoonfull and couldn't get it down. The chicken had this nasty taste to it. Ive noticed it before, but I guess it really bothers me now since I didn't bring back-up and am left eating just a cup of rice and no chicken...any ideas?

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Never had the issue. Maybe it's being over microwaved to get the rice hot? Maybe the lid isn't fitting tightly and it's getting fridge goobers?

Maybe try bringing the rice and chicken in seperate containers and only heating the rice. Then put the chicken chunks in and stir just to warm them a bit.

Good luck!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Don't have that issue at all..how was it cooked in the first place? Was it fresh? Was it stored at the proper temperature and not left out at room temp?
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I love leftover chicken in salads and often cook up extra when I make chicken breasts. In fact, I tend to think most things taste better the next day after all the tastes "meld." Depending on how you cooked it, maybe you don't like the way all the tastes come together. It's also very easy to over heat if you are nuking it: and you end up w/dried out rubber chicken.

It shouldn't go bad overnight unless it was maybe on the "edge" when you cooked it to begin with. But even then, you should have noticed it when you cooked it.
  • thepinas
    Options
    Don't have that issue at all..how was it cooked in the first place? Was it fresh? Was it stored at the proper temperature and not left out at room temp?

I take a chicken breast out of the freezer and let it sit in cold water for about an hour to defrost, cut it in small chunks and put it in a small saucepan with water and a little seasoning salt, cover and let cook, take lid off and let water evaporate and brown chicken a little. Then I eat dinner and leave leftovers in bowl to cool down before sticking in fridge...I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong.
  • thepinas
    Options
    bump
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that sometimes. Not always. It seems like I notice it more when the chicken is rather bland. If it has a strong marinade or heavy spices, they mask that "left over chicken" taste. But if it is plain, or just mildly spiced....yep. I have definitely noticed it before.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    As an idea, sort of off topic, you might look into Mrs. Dash seasonings instead of the seasoning salt, then you don't up the amount of sodium you're taking in :)
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time heating up any leftover chicken or turkey. It tastes awful to me for some reason. I usually just eat it cold or I heat it up just enough to almost room temp, any hotter and it takes on a terrible taste and I can't eat it at all. I've always been this way tho...
  • thepinas
    Options
    bump
  • thepinas
    Options
    As an idea, sort of off topic, you might look into Mrs. Dash seasonings instead of the seasoning salt, then you don't up the amount of sodium you're taking in :)

Great Idea!! Thanks!!
  • Shluke206
    Shluke206 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I bring chicken leftovers I always eat it cold because I don't like that weird, funky flavor it gets after being nuked. I agree with the others that when it's more spiced up or in a stronger sauce/marinade that it helps mask that flavor.
  • thepinas
    Options
    bump