Burning Less calories when i spend longer exercising :-(

Options
Hi Guys

I am new to MFP and have been trying to loose weight for the past year by going to the a few times a week.

That has not made any difference at all, and only last week or so I started looking at my calorie intake etc

Now I am on 1200 per day (MFP GOAL) which is fine.

I have been going to the gym every day since last week and using either the treadmill and cross trainer, or just the treadmill for 1hr, and trying to burn off calories. I usually burn an average of 400 cals, but last week I did 600 using both machines in just less than an hour /(400 cals on the treadmill in 35 mins alone)

Today however, i spent 52 mins on the treadmill, and only burnt off 310 cals!! :-( I couldnt believe it

how did that happen? In more time on the machine, i burn less cals?

Also, I have only been using these 2 machines... is that enough? I just want to loose the weight and then tone up afterwards.

I dont seem to have lost any les sthat 1/2 lb, which is quite fustrating as i have changed my whole meal plan and have been quite healthily i find..

Any tips would be great..Also, im i wrong in thinking that easting is little as I can, i.e 1000 cals per day if possible instead of 1200 is going to help me loose more weight.. it just seems more logical - less cals = less weight.

But i seem to be hearing that this is not the case?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! thanks so much guys

Was 68kg
Curently 66 kg
Goal is 60kg ( to loose 8 kg / 18 lb..)

Replies

• Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Why wait to tone up.

Start lifting weights now!
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Are you inputting your weight? Are you going faster on the lower settings? I'm not sure how going a shorter amount of time averaged more, but think back to those days and see if there was anything different that you did.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Calories burned also depends on your effort on those machines. If you were slower, had less on an incline, or used less resistance then your cals burned would definitely be less. Also, those machines are not the most accurate at times.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Less calories doesn't mean more weight loss....eventually if you eat too little, your metabolism is going to slow down, which means your body is burning calories at a slower rate. Check out www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com :)
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Short version:

As your body becomes more efficient at doing cardio type tasks and more used to eating very little, your Basal Metabolic Rate (the rate at which you burn calories) lowers.

You can increase your BMR by building muscles (strength training FTW) and eating more (which you'll need to help you build muscle anyway - protein and carbs in particular, but fats are important too in a correct ratio).

A drop-off of 300-odd kcal in your burn from one week to the next seems a little steep, though. I guess you're using an HRM? Any chance that the contacts weren't properly moistened?
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Different machines at the gym may calculate your calorie burn differently. Best way to get an accurate calorie burn is to use a heart rate monitor. Also if you are running on the treadmill or walking can make a difference.

Less calories is not better for you. You will put your body in starvation mode and then you won't loose any weight.

Also loosing only 10-15lbs (4-7 Kg) which is about where you are at, you shouldn't drop those too fast. .5 - 1 lbs a week, not 1.5-2. It is a little slower doing this but it is a lot healthier for you and easier to sustain that type of weight loss.
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    are they intense workouts? your intensity level has alot to do with calorie burns as well I just burnt 1600 something calories doing an hour of insanity and thats intense working out?? just a thought I guess good luck!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Are the calories burned from a heart rate monitor or from the machines? Machines can vary from one to another due to calibration. If you are using a HRM, I find that as my body gets better at the exercise, I burn less calories and so have to push harder to work myself again. (Running in my case - my first time running a longer interval, I burn a lot of calories, then by the third time running the same intervals, I'll burn 100 less, despite going farther distance).
  • shazz20
    shazz20 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi guys

thanks for the comments so far!

I use the same machines at the same level (speed 7) and a the same level of inclination (2.0) so that shouldnt explain the change

That is perhaps why I am most confused.

also it may sound silly, but what is a HRM - ?? is that when you hold the bars or clip something to you and it physically checks your heart rate?

I hold the bars on the cross strainer, but dont have any physical contact with the treadmill.. Let em know if this means something else though!

:-) thanks x

Thanks