should i take a diet pill or not? and other questions.

Options
I was bored which got me thinking of some questions,
I was thinking about taking a diet pill but I don't know if I should or not if I should which kind should I get?
and I want to be toned so should I get those powder protein shake?
and I'm broke and can't afford some of.the protein stuff

or any other facts that will help me please let me know thanks in advanced

Replies

• louiseyanne
    Options
    Personally I don't think pills are the answer, they are chock full of weird chemicals etc.

`
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would skip the pills, your already have the best possible tools to help you through this on this site! Just stay focused, log your food and watch your calories sodium, carbs, and sugar! Good ole fashion exercise will help get you toned, you can do the shakes if your working out otherwise I'd advise against it. You don't have to spend tons on money on protein stuff, just get it the natural way chicken, fish, and nuts have plenty!
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    Buy tuna, turkey and eggs all cheap and more than enough protein.

I was taking EC Stack in the beginning of my weight loss. It help curb my hunger but made me too hot to exercise. I didn't like it so I stopped taking it. I am doing fine managing my hunger now(mostly by just eating). I was eating too little before and now I am having to eat more calories to get my body back to normal. At least this is what I am trying. I am not 100% sure that this is what is going on. But I was eating 900 calories a day and exercising my *kitten* off. : /
  • bvalosek
    bvalosek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    eat less-- you'll lose weight.

You "tone" by having less fat, allowing your muscular structure to be more visible-- so again, eat less

You can save money by consuming less food-- aka eat less

Weight loss is simple, don't over-complicate it with pills and other BS

Taking protein supplements will only be necessary when you start trying to push yourself to the extent where it's annoying or difficult to consume the necessary protein to encourage muscle gain-- more than likely if all you're trying to do is lose weight then none of that sh­it didnt matters.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have tried just about every diet pill out there. They all worked...for a short period of time. I always gained it all back, plus some. I have tried OTC as well as prescribed medication. For the sake of your body and health, I would suggest trying to lose weight the healthy way (diet and exercise) first. That is the cheapest way to get it done.

As with the protein powders, I know some people that take them, some of those swear by them, and others just do it because it tastes good. I've tried. I can't get past the taste. I would suggest increasing protein intake (meats/beans) while decreasing the amount of carbs you eat. I still eat carbs. I love my bread, but I know that in order to build muscle, I need to eat more meat. That's a challenge, but well worth it.

Hulu.com has free exercise videos. Aerobic, yoga, general work outs. They are good and they are FREEEEEE!!! I am a fan of Envy Girls. Though I would prefer it if they were to put clothes on, the movements don't bother my knees and I can feel the burn when I do them. Yoga is FANTASTIC for toning!

I hope this helps. These are only my opinions based on close to 20 years of dieting and failing. This time I'm going to try something new: Watch my calories, exercise more.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    protein powder yes, just make sure it's one that is low on carbs and make sure it doesn't have any fillers such as lots of sugar or by products in it. personally I would say NO !!! to the diet pills. a sound diet along with exercise will help you lose weight the natural way. most people who use diet pills will lose weight but after your done taking them you will gain the weight back. ask yourself this are you going to take them the rest of your life ?
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    no, do not take 'diet' pills. there is no such thing. the only thing that works is healthy eating and exercise. The only pill you should be taking is a vitamin.

Unless you're in training, you shouldn't need a protein shake either. Get your protein from chicken, fish, beans & dairy products.
    There is no 'magic bullet', no short cuts
    You are going for a LIFE STYLE change here - a way of life, for life - healthy eating and exercise at least 30 mins 4 times a week.
    You want your heart to last a long time, don't you? Exercise it.
    Drink water & get plenty of sleep
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Unless you doctor recommends a pill, I would avoid them. Even at that, I would question the heck out my doctor if she did recommend a pill. Protein powders are, ehhh, so so but probably not worth it if you are tight on money (who isn't anymore) and they are not going to help you get toned - only strenght training is going to do that. Peanut butter, greek yogurt, and nuts are good sources of protein and they taste a whole lot better than a shake anyways :) Good luck with your weight loss journey. Feel free to add me if you would like another friend.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it without the pills. my doctor originally THOUGHT she was going to go that route with me, but I did Weight Watchers and used online tools like Sparkpeople.com and MFP to kick start my lifestyle. Protein shakes are great but don't over do it, and check the ingredients.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Protein powders can be used as a low calorie snack, although I wouldn't use them as a meal replacement. You can find them for a reasonable price at Walmart or similar store. You may have to try a couple different ones to see what your taste preference is. I use Body Fortress vanilla myself because I can add just about anything to them and make a great smoothie. I would recommend skipping the diet pills, as most of them are basically either overpriced caffiene pills or full of ingredients that haven't actually been proven to help with weight loss, despite what the salesmen will try to tell you. Others are diuretics that simply cause you to pee a lot and lose a bit of water weight, which isn't going to help anybody lose fat. That's my two cents, anyways!
  • kylatreymom
    kylatreymom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. i need to lose about 21 pounds. I started at 180 and am down to 176 and my goal is 155. I know someone who was taking diet pills and it helped them lose the weight quickly but i just dont know if i should or not. Reading everyone's comment make me go against it. i have been exercising just about everyday and trying to stay within 1200 calories a day so i'm really praying that i can stay motivated and lose the weight.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    NO, NO, NO and NO!!!

I had a friend who was physically fit have a HEART ATTACK from taking those and her heart is now forever scarred because of them. NOTHING is worth that. Listen, we didnt get overweight overnight, so we wont get skinny overnight either. You have to really want this, and there is no easy way out. You HAVE to work for it!!!
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    NO, NO, NO and NO!!!

I had a friend who was physically fit have a HEART ATTACK from taking those and her heart is now forever scarred because of them. NOTHING is worth that. Listen, we didnt get overweight overnight, so we wont get skinny overnight either. You have to really want this, and there is no easy way out. You HAVE to work for it!!!

so sorry about your friend, and your right I took diet pills in the past and it either made me fell like crap or made me stay awake all night
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    They are AWFUL! If you feel like you need to do something, drink a lot of Green Tea. That will help boost your metabolism. Exercise is the best, and Protein powders are good because the protein fills you up so you are less apt to snack throughout the day. You dont need money to go for walks or runs. Swimming in a lake or rivers, going for a hike, or even walking around the mall burns calories...