Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you eat your fitness calories?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    At this time, my workout calories will be chosen among a variety of foods. It'll depend how many grams of protein I need, with an egg offering 6, 1/2 cup of ice cream having 4, a granola bar having 10, a slice of ham having 14, and a protein shake having 34.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    I try to eat half. If I'm super hungry I'll just eat them all back. I try to eat something with high protein and fiber.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Do you eat your fitness/workout calories? I'm set at 1200 calories but on a good workout I can burn 500. I'm not sure if eating those calories can inhibit my weightloss.

Yes. MFP put me at 1910 calories per day, and if I burn extra calories through exercise or unusual work, them I eat more calories. Half of workout calories has been suggested as a good amount to aim for as extra.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Yes - I eat most of them. I'm also on 1200 calories to lose only .7 lbs a week. While I mostly trust my Fitbit, the exercise calories I earn aren't very strenuous. I mostly walk around to gain steps - sometimes I jog in place. So, I don't eat them all - just most.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I'm a teacher and it's summer, so I'm more sedentary and have tended to let my exercise calories help my deficit because I don't want to switch my setting to sedentary.

Having said that, it's rare that I eat all of them anyway, more likely to eat half or less.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    No. I stick to my 1800 calorie daily goal. When I workout and burn a few hundred calories that's GREAT!...added bonus I guess.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    I'm on 1430 cal/day. I usually don't but their nice to have just in case I'm off on my food measuring.
    I plan to use them as my fitness level and exercise time and effort increases.
    I'm 45lbs down with 80 to go.
  • NikosEspada
    NikosEspada Posts: 6 Member
    I don't, I see it as an added bonus.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Why would you not? I just don't understand the mentality of some of you. Eat every Goddamned f'ing morsel while still achieving the results you want.

Some people are just masochistic I'm sure, but I know that for me, my main exercise is 20 minutes of brisk walking a day, which isn't really intense enough to noticeably effect my appetite or caloric needs. I mean, I guess I could eat another 100 calories, but that's within standard deviation most days anyhow. I suspect many people who are only modestly active don't bother for similar reasons.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I do, but then I generally walk at least 2 hours daily and strength train three times/week. And many days I walk more. I eat back half.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I used to eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories, depending on my hunger, to allow for inaccuracies in logging and estimated calorie burn. Now that I am maintaining I eat back all of them, unless I will explode from overeating if I do.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Not generally. My adjustment for activity tracker info is always wildly high. I may go slightly over my usual limit, but not often.
  • Nmork21
    Nmork21 Posts: 45 Member
    Do you eat your fitness/workout calories? I'm set at 1200 calories but on a good workout I can burn 500. I'm not sure if eating those calories can inhibit my weightloss.

A weight lifting body of mine always jokes. He says "dude, I love working out because I love to eat!" Meaningless to say, my friend spends up to 2 to 3 hours in a gym almost every day. So, I'd say he really loves to eat...and he is in really good shape!
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yes, else ill starve and become weak.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    I eat mine nearly completely. However, I've tracked numbers for long enough to know pretty well how much calories which activity burns. And it ain't nowhere near what MFP gives me. Based on that I'm happy to eat my workout cals. Hey, I ate 700kcal over my goal yesterday, and I'm sure weightloss will not be slowed down by that. If I ate the 1100kcal MFP and fitbit gave me for this workout though, and regularly then I would not have a deficit anymore.