Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think parents should teach their kids how to count calories?

Options

Replies

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My oldest two (7&5) know that food has calories, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, etc bc they read the labels on food and read a ton about anatomy and physiology. Bc that's how it goes with a weight lifting mom and dr dad and a bunch of tiny nerds. They know they need the energy from food to build bones, muscle, etc and they know eating more than your body needs will make you gain weight. They choose to eat their healthy food first (in their estimation, that's meat, veg, and fruit), enjoy their treat after dinner (something like 1 peep, or five gummies) but will all turn down treats offered that they don't want/aren't hungry for. I've seen these kids turn down a cookie, candy bars, a second cookie, and say a snack bag of chips was too much.

Obviously they are not my children! But they have regular access to treats (but are shown appropriate portions)--whereas treats were not as frequent but way bigger for me as a kid. Didn't know what a calorie was, either. Result was my brother and I snuck food and ate as much as we could when offered. My kids never sneak food (though they easily could) and turn treats down. Not sure what my study of two families shows, but there you go. Basically, we obsess way less about food than my parents did, model active lifestyles, and give them the opportunity to be active throughout the day and so far that's working. We will see what puberty brings.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Probably not counting calories at this point, but more being mindful of the types of foods they consume - developing more of an overall awareness of health, nutrition and fitness, without being regimented.

I remember when I was a kid having discussions with grandma about the nutrition in fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and why we need them, how the body uses vitamins, minerals and fiber, the importance of drinking enough fresh water, being active, spending time outdoors in nature, etc. It's always been an interest of mine. I've never been overweight and I've always been interested in fitness. We didn't really talk about fatness/looks or counting calories or anything like that. The emphasis was on health and treating your body well.

I only started counting calories here on MFP as a middle-aged person wanting to prevent/reverse weight creep as I've aged. Just keeping an emphasis on eating healthy food doesn't cut it anymore as I get older...

Most kids probably don't need to count calories. They just need to be active and eating less junk and more nutritious food in general. ;)
  • emmieems
    emmieems Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No not at all. I think parents should plan meals and educate kids on staying around certain numbers of calories, listening their bodies and fueling them with good foods with occasional treats. Calorie counting when I was younger led me into an eating disorder and my parents didn't even push that on me. It should be their own choice
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have ideas about this, but they are unconventional. I really don't care if other people disagree with how we raised them in this regard.

We wanted our children to be able to tune into their hunger signals, and to that end, never forced meals on them or strictly imposed meal times.

They were exclusively breast fed until they reached for food on the table, and while we had regular meals, they were not obligated to eat them. Healthy food was available to them at all times if their hunger led them into a different meal timing. Unhealthy food was also available, but it was limited and offered in context (they were taught about "sometimes" and "always" foods).

Over time, they've fallen into regular meal timing, but they stop eating when they are full.

I don't know many other kids who willingly turn down cookies or sometimes only eat half and then say they've had enough.

It has worked. They are both at healthy weights. Our daughter is 21, and son is 15 and still growing.

They both have knowledge of energy balance and calories in food, but it's not really an important thing for them. I think it's more important not to mess up the internal hunger signals we all have if it can be avoided. But that's me and a projection of how I wish my own hunger signalling wasn't so messed by the rigidity of my own upbringing that didn't allow for extra hunger during growth spurts or decreased hunger between them. I understand how other people might have a different take on things.

It always amazes me that my 3 year old nephew will eat a mouthful of cake or cookie and then leave the rest cos he's had enough! I wish adults could remember how to do that more!!!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I have ideas about this, but they are unconventional. I really don't care if other people disagree with how we raised them in this regard.

We wanted our children to be able to tune into their hunger signals, and to that end, never forced meals on them or strictly imposed meal times.

They were exclusively breast fed until they reached for food on the table, and while we had regular meals, they were not obligated to eat them. Healthy food was available to them at all times if their hunger led them into a different meal timing. Unhealthy food was also available, but it was limited and offered in context (they were taught about "sometimes" and "always" foods).

Over time, they've fallen into regular meal timing, but they stop eating when they are full.

I don't know many other kids who willingly turn down cookies or sometimes only eat half and then say they've had enough.

It has worked. They are both at healthy weights. Our daughter is 21, and son is 15 and still growing.

They both have knowledge of energy balance and calories in food, but it's not really an important thing for them. I think it's more important not to mess up the internal hunger signals we all have if it can be avoided. But that's me and a projection of how I wish my own hunger signalling wasn't so messed by the rigidity of my own upbringing that didn't allow for extra hunger during growth spurts or decreased hunger between them. I understand how other people might have a different take on things.

It always amazes me that my 3 year old nephew will eat a mouthful of cake or cookie and then leave the rest cos he's had enough! I wish adults could remember how to do that more!!!

I have always been like this and this is what my kids are learning.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    At my school, we teach our 6-yo's about nutrition, calories, and how to read a food label to make healthy choices. It's just knowledge. How you present it is what matters.
  • fpmferreira
    fpmferreira Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No, unless medical recommended due to health reasons.
  • mtb000mtb
    mtb000mtb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No.

Teach them:
    * How to prepare food from scratch
    * What foods are healthier and less healthy
    * the importance (and fun) of physical activity.

Start early, keep it light and age appropriate. Expose them to lots of different foods. Get the whole family joining in on physical activity.

You will set them up for life.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating - yes
    Calorie counting - no
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    LettingTheSmallStuffGo Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think the first thing that should be taught is to eat only when hungry and stop when satisfied. Next, what a true serving size looks like and last teaching nutrition and calories can depend on age.
  • MobOfBricks
    MobOfBricks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
    Teaching a kid what and how to eat properly is the parent's duty.
    Forcing kids to count calories for no apparent reason it seems kind of abusive to me.
    We teach our kids how to use scissors, computers, knives, forks, hammers and everything else.
    Counting calories fits into "learn how and use it when/if needed".
  • ljw5021
    ljw5021 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think it's a far more effective investment to teach kids about the value of physical activity and eating whole, real foods instead of giving them some Rainman type complex every time they're hungry.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Depends on the child I guess. My stepchild is obese and weighs almost 120 lbs at age 9. I try to measure out portions and watch what she eats but she gets the food elsewhere. At her young age she can't understand what she's doing to herself and hates missing out on food that others get to eat. Hopefully one day it will click with her. I love her and never want her to get heart disease or diabetes.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    In short, no.

But I have 3 boys (9, 7 & 2) And because I have an interest in nutrition and talk to them about it, I think they are more aware of nutrition than I ever was as a kid. They're active and understand the need to eat well.

This said, I'd not be against someone thinking that way. I'm just as for parenting how you want as well and if that helps someone teach their kids good habits and knowledge then so be it.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    In general, no. Principles and examples of healthy eating, sure.

Yes, but only in the context of coaching competitive athletes. (And I'm talking about taking in enough good fuel to power your workouts.) Nutrition for athletes is sometimes harder for them to learn than their sport. And race day nutrition is a different issue altogether. On race day a kid is nervous, sometimes scared, and they look to their coach for calm, stability, strategy and focus. Help 'em out a bit and it'll make it easier for them to get into the zone.
  • theresejesu
    theresejesu Posts: 120 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't. You?

I don't either. I think all that is needed is what to eat, what to avoid and portion size along with ensuring there is enough activity.

I think counting calories just adds a level of unnecessary stress to their lives unless there is a genuine, compelling reason for them to do so.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    There's an important difference between "to" and "how to." My biggest concern is time. You can't teach a kid everything. I don't think calorie counting is fundamental, like reading or arithmetic, or the developments that happen around puberty. But if the kid expresses interest, why not?
  • Lyric_Momma
    Lyric_Momma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There comes an age that it might become appropriate, but young children NO!
    My son is 3. He lives off of pizza and PB&J. Luckliy he loves fruit, but veggies are a struggle. He's 3... I'm letting him be a kid, but I will be teaching him healthy habits. He knows apples are healthy because they come from trees. As his mom I am responsible for making sure he gets proper nutrition. Sure I let him have junk food, but his "candy pops" are really yogurt that I have frozen. His pizza has scrambled eggs hidden under the cheese.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    There comes an age that it might become appropriate, but young children NO!
    My son is 3. He lives off of pizza and PB&J. Luckliy he loves fruit, but veggies are a struggle. He's 3... I'm letting him be a kid, but I will be teaching him healthy habits. He knows apples are healthy because they come from trees. As his mom I am responsible for making sure he gets proper nutrition. Sure I let him have junk food, but his "candy pops" are really yogurt that I have frozen. His pizza has scrambled eggs hidden under the cheese.

?? As his mom, it's also important to teach him the *correct* reason why some foods are more nutritious than others.
  • Jennifer5214
    Jennifer5214 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kids should be taught about nutrition: how to have a balanced diet... carbohydrates, fats and protein. Calorie counting, not so much.