Has anyone successfully lost the dreaded double belly?

Options
I'm 5'7" and 125 lbs, and don't have much more weight I can afford to lose before I get in to underweight territory. As long as I can remember, I've had a double belly that looks like the image I've attached. It's gotten smaller as I've lost weight, obviously, but it's still there - for crying out loud, I'm 125 lbs with a 20 BMI and I can't see my belly button! It's incredibly frustrating because this was the main reason I started losing weight in the first place.

Has anyone successfully lost their double belly? Any tips/tricks? Surgery will never be an option, nor will losing enough weight to venture in to the underweight BMI category. I've only got another 5 pounds or so before that happens.

doublebubblelabeled.jpg

Replies

• facetocallhome
    facetocallhome Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but I still have a lot of weight to lose. Hopefully people can help us with tips and tricks! :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Nope. Still have a top belly and bottom belly -- but not as bad as that picture thank goodness
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Mine's a lot smaller after weight loss BUT I also have the same problem. While I am always within my calorie each day, I have a feeling that too much sugar and grains are my problem. My youngest son bakes and of course, I have to try his creations AND with the perimenopause, I sometimes crave donuts so much that if I don't indulge at least once a week (still keeping to calorie goal though) I will bug out. In every other way, I like to think my diet is ok.
  • betterwhenimdancin
    betterwhenimdancin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From what I've read you might need to do a recomp. Recompostion is when you lose fat and gain muscle while maintaining your current weight. There are tons of MFP threads dedicated to the subject.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I believe @middlehaitch has seen some success reducing her "B" belly with recomping. (Although, you must be tired of people tagging you for that. :D ) I believe the idea is to build up muscle to get an overall "tighter" look while losing fat but not weight.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    To add to the echo chamber...strength training is your best bet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch You rock!
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I hear it's called a FUPA.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    at 5'7" and 125lbs I can't imagine it is anywhere as bad as this photo?? are you sure you are not thinking it is worse than it is??
  • sheezup2sumtin
    sheezup2sumtin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm the only one from my 5 siblings to have this B belly. I always thought the indention was made from wearing my undies high up around my waist causing the B belly to appear. Now, I don't feel alone anymore.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Recomposition (maintain weight, strength train hard to add muscle)?

Any chance that posture issues are part of the situation? The rounded forward upper body we get from computer use (among other things) and/or a rotation of the pelvis can contribute to this in some people.

Try rolling your shoulders down & back, pulling your chin back, elongating your ribcage and spine to stand tall, and experimenting with rotating your pelvis forward or back. If any of this makes a difference, working on your postural muscles & core might be helpful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    at 5'7" and 125lbs I can't imagine it is anywhere as bad as this photo?? are you sure you are not thinking it is worse than it is??

Ya, I'm 5'6.5" and I'd be closer to 185 pounds than 125 like this. (I do have a large frame.)

doublebubblelabeled.jpg
  • random1234
    random1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the tips! It sounds like body recomp is the way to go. I've always been a cardio bunny and really disliked strength training - I'll run 10 miles like it's nothing, but I go to extreme lengths to avoid the weight room. Guess I'm going to have to change that. Great to see that some people have had success with getting rid of it - @middlehaitch, you look fantastic!
  • aaronjonn84
    aaronjonn84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    if you have the opportunity gain some help from a personal trainer, they can help you with routines and weights, maybe ab workouts might be an idea too? i do know that when losing weight the belly is always the last to go
  • eatforpeace
    eatforpeace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I really, really appreciate that @middlehaitch rocks those bikinis with aplomb. That is too damn cool and so inspiring. Thanks for sharing your strategy and results!! <3
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch you are my new role model. You are rocking it at almost 64!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I have 10 lbs to go and a visible belly button. (Also, visible ribs--all the weight's around my hips now.) I plank 3 minutes a day (including side planks/obliques) and do sets of bird dogs, because my back is awful and my PT says so. So even though there's fat on my abdomen, I have my four pack when I suck it in. :)