Weight lifting doesn't burn fat

Options
That's what my doctor told me. I went in for a wellness check. I workout. I eat reasonably well and I'm not losing weight. She told me to increase cardio and do less weight lifting. I think she wrong.

Some background: i'm 5'1, currently 230lbs. 40 years old. I work out 4-5 days a week 3-4 days of weight lifting. An hour per session. 3 cardio sessions (Zumba) per week. I eat 1800 calories a day. I measure everything.
My math has me at about a 4,000 calorie deficit per week.

What am I missing?

Replies

• Danicandothis
    Danicandothis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I use my fit bit heart rate monitor to track my calories burned from workouts
  • Danicandothis
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Fat loss is all about creating a caloric deficit. Weight lifting and cardio both only burn fat by burning calories. Cardio typically burns more calories than weight lifting for any given amount of time. Calorie burn isn't really why weight lifting is done though, the goal of lifting is to preserve lean mass so when you lose weight you aren't losing muscle mass. If you aren't losing weight then you are not in a 4000 calorie a week deficit. You are either eating more than you think, burning less than you think, or probably some combination of both. When you say you measure everything do you use a food scale?

to lose fat you dont need a 4000 calorie deficit. you can lose fat with just a 250 calorie a day deficit(1750 calories a week). 3500 calories is a lb so 500 a day would be a lb per week. where are you getting someone needs a 4000 calorie deficit to lose fat?

I don't think that I need 4000. That's just where I am currently
  • Danicandothis
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Well yes and no. If you aren't losing weight, then it is because you are in an energy balance. So you need to change one side of the equation. In that context, the advice to up your cardio (given that it has a higher burn rate than lifting) is not entirely unjustified.

As others have said, exercise is an (important) accessory to weight loss, but is usually not the main factor. However, again, you need to change the status quo, so upping overall exercise calories may help. To be honest, Zumba is not a big calorie-burner.

Based only on what you have reported, I don't think the doctor is wrong.

Per my fit bit I burn 500-600 calories during an hour of Zumba. What should I be doing instead?

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Fat loss is all about creating a caloric deficit. Weight lifting and cardio both only burn fat by burning calories. Cardio typically burns more calories than weight lifting for any given amount of time. Calorie burn isn't really why weight lifting is done though, the goal of lifting is to preserve lean mass so when you lose weight you aren't losing muscle mass. If you aren't losing weight then you are not in a 4000 calorie a week deficit. You are either eating more than you think, burning less than you think, or probably some combination of both. When you say you measure everything do you use a food scale?

to lose fat you dont need a 4000 calorie deficit. you can lose fat with just a 250 calorie a day deficit(1750 calories a week). 3500 calories is a lb so 500 a day would be a lb per week. where are you getting someone needs a 4000 calorie deficit to lose fat?

It is in OP's post.

got it somehow \I missed that part.my bad
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

3500 calories = pound of fat . Water and muscle is less
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »

3500 calories = pound of fat . Water and muscle is less

yeah I said that already,but a lb is a lb no matter what it is.
  • Danicandothis
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? Fitbit doesn't work for many people. Hey, it gave me the same calories for a 14km run as for a 14km walk! And the running was already too high by about 350kcal! Running burns more than twice the calories as normal walking. Thus please be careful if you're eating your exercise calories back.

I don't eat back any of my exercise calories