Weight lifting doesn't burn fat

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Well yes and no. If you aren't losing weight, then it is because you are in an energy balance. So you need to change one side of the equation. In that context, the advice to up your cardio (given that it has a higher burn rate than lifting) is not entirely unjustified.

As others have said, exercise is an (important) accessory to weight loss, but is usually not the main factor. However, again, you need to change the status quo, so upping overall exercise calories may help. To be honest, Zumba is not a big calorie-burner.

Based only on what you have reported, I don't think the doctor is wrong.

Per my fit bit I burn 500-600 calories during an hour of Zumba. What should I be doing instead?

Ignoring your Fitbit for calorie burns for anything but walking and running.

or cut your calories in half so if it gives you 600 make it 300 and so on.and see how that works.
  • Danicandothis
    Danicandothis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Even if my calories are off on my fit bit I don't eat any of them back so shouldn't I still be in a calorie deficit even if the calories are overestimated
  • sczoo26
    sczoo26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't get that because I do around 1.5 hours of cardio in the gym, and burn around 400 odd cals, then I do some weight lifting
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Are you using your fitbit to estimate your calorie burn during your weight lifting sessions?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, what's happening? Are you maintaining your weight?

If so, and you've been maintaining the same weight for a few weeks, then whatever you are currently eating is your maintenance calories with your current exercise regime. So if you reduce that by 250 calories a day, you'll start losing half a pound a week.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit isn't just giving her 500-600 calories for the hour of Zumba though, it means she is burning 500-600 more calories than what her MFP activity setting would have given her.

Most likely somewhere is off with logging, or water retention.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Tbh like the others I suspect the activity monitor is overestimating calorie burn. It's the most likely answer - it seems to happen a lot.