Weight lifting doesn't burn fat

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    That's what my doctor told me. I went in for a wellness check. I workout. I eat reasonably well and I'm not losing weight. She told me to increase cardio and do less weight lifting. I think she wrong.

Some background: i'm 5'1, currently 230lbs. 40 years old. I work out 4-5 days a week 3-4 days of weight lifting. An hour per session. 3 cardio sessions (Zumba) per week. I eat 1800 calories a day. I measure everything.
    My math has me at about a 4,000 calorie deficit per week.

What am I missing?

Typically we don't need to worry about the calorie burn with lifting and cardio - both of course provide some calorie burn. When we have excess fat we instead rely on the calorie deficit - too low isn't good either - it's a fine line, just under your TDEE but not over, and it's best to eat up to TDEE at least one day a week.

When you get within 15-20 pounds to your goal you have to consider calorie burn more - base it on how you feel more than the highly inaccurate HRM's.

You are not missing anything. Workout for health. Use the calorie deficit as your corrective action (medicine) to lose the excess body fat that is a health concern. Give it 30-90 days of consistency to start seeing results (that is probably what is missing - most people don't give it time and consistency enough - they get impatient and want instant gratification - or they try to eat back calorie burn and then are not in a deficit after all.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? Fitbit doesn't work for many people. Hey, it gave me the same calories for a 14km run as for a 14km walk! And the running was already too high by about 350kcal! Running burns more than twice the calories as normal walking. Thus please be careful if you're eating your exercise calories back.

I don't eat back any of my exercise calories

you should eat back at least 25-50% if you are following mfp method of weight loss.
  • Danicandothis
    Danicandothis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    1) how long ago did you start lifting?

2) are you using a food scale to weigh your portions (everything, including prepackaged foods and oils; liquids like water and milk in measuring cups)?

3) how long since you started eating in your deficit?

4) are you measuring yourself and taking progress pictures?

5) start weight and current weight?

I've been lifting since January

Yes I use a food scale and measure

I've been eating in deficit since January also. Started around 1200-1300 calories. Went up to 1500 then 1800 because I was told I wasn't eating enough compared to my workouts.

I don't measure or take progress pics. I should.

Start weight was 235. I hover around 230 currently just maintaining.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

2) are you using a food scale to weigh your portions (everything, including prepackaged foods and oils; liquids like water and milk in measuring cups)?

I've been eating in deficit since January also. Started around 1200-1300 calories. Went up to 1500 then 1800 because I was told I wasn't eating enough compared to my workouts.

then 1800 may be your maintenance. drop to 1600 and see if you start losing again give it awhile. and also eat back some of your exercise calories to fuel your body and workouts. give it a month or so and see what happens. weigh all solids and semi solids on a scale and measure all liquids. if you dont lose weight you can drop a little further or see a dr to rule anything out.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I use my fit bit heart rate monitor to track my calories burned from workouts

I always found that when I was using a Fitbit, the calories it said in burned, and the calories mfp said I burned were very different; the Fitbit would say I burned a lot more calories than mfp. I think fitbits and other wearables are better for a ballpark idea of how much you move and shouldn't be considered gospel. What I ended up doing is changing my lifestyle to lightly active because of my job. Then I log my exercise separately in mfp and eat 50%-75% of those calories back.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Your height and weight are similar to me (where I started), so I'll use myself and my numbers to compare.

I can lose 2lbs/week while eating 1700 calories per day when: I walk 7000 steps at work, go swimming 60-90 minutes 5 times per week, weight lifting 2 times per week, plus kickboxing 2 times per week.

If your only activity is weightlifting (I can't remember how many times per week) plus zumba once per week, 1800 calories at 5'1" might be too high for you to lose anything more than .5-1 lb/week. When you were eating at 1500, we're you losing then? 1200-1300 sucks. Can you increase your activity levels? It doesn't have to be running, there are plenty of great activities.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    also op since you are petite then like I said above 1800 may be your maintenance calories.
  • Danicandothis
    Options

Your height and weight are similar to me (where I started), so I'll use myself and my numbers to compare.

I can lose 2lbs/week while eating 1700 calories per day when: I walk 7000 steps at work, go swimming 60-90 minutes 5 times per week, weight lifting 2 times per week, plus kickboxing 2 times per week.

If your only activity is weightlifting (I can't remember how many times per week) plus zumba once per week, 1800 calories at 5'1" might be too high for you to lose anything more than .5-1 lb/week. When you were eating at 1500, we're you losing then? 1200-1300 sucks. Can you increase your activity levels? It doesn't have to be running, there are plenty of great activities.[/quote

I weight lift 3x a week also Zumba 3x a week. I wasn't losing at 1500 but I wasn't as religious on my tracking as I have been the last 3 months.
  • Danicandothis
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? Fitbit doesn't work for many people. Hey, it gave me the same calories for a 14km run as for a 14km walk! And the running was already too high by about 350kcal! Running burns more than twice the calories as normal walking. Thus please be careful if you're eating your exercise calories back.

I don't eat back any of my exercise calories

None of what you are saying makes any sense.

Please open your food diary here so we can take a peek and help you. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
    at the bottom, click "Public."

Made it public.

• getfitchelle
    getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding and powerlifting aren't the only ways people lift weights...just sayin'...totally off topic however. Some of us do olympic lifting because it is fun, and I find the movements assist me with feeling strong and mobile.

I'm 4'11" and 81.8kg (180.5 pounds), I'm having a few weeks of eating to maintain just because I want to, life is a little stressful right now. Fitbit has been directing me to eat about 2600 calories per day, I have been, and I have maintained within a 400g weight range every day. I don't think all short people should eat like rabbits.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, it's private on my end.