Calorie and workout advice!

Options
I'm 19, 5'2 and 140 lbs. I've been counting for about 3 weeks now around the 1,200 range after cardio. My cardio is running/walking for about an hour and I usually burn around 300 cal. The first week or two I lost about three pounds, but now I've hit a plateau. Any advice would be appreciated! I'm new to all of this.

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    One week is not a plateau. Unfortunately, you will not lose weight predictably every single week, even if you maintain a calorie deficit. It's simply not how our bodies work. 3 pounds so far is great progress, just give it a couple more weeks and I'm sure you'll see progress.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Use the app correctly.

1200 is when you don't exercise.

When you do more, eat more.
    When you do less, eat less.

In a diet, a tad less in either case.

Life lesson to learn right there, right now.

A plateau is 6 weeks no weight change based on valid minimal water weight fluctuations and no measurement changes.

Which is probably what you have gained because of exercise, especially if this is summer for you.

Don't just use the scale as all kinds of reasons for water weight changes - measure many spots also.

And hopefully you selected 1 lb weekly loss at this point - that's reasonable and should be less stressful to body.
    1/2 lb weekly when 15 lbs away from healthy goal weight.
  • katereesekr9899
    katereesekr9899 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! Also, I was reading a forum for a girl of the similar height and weight that said 1,200 is not enough and she should bump it up to 1,500. Any thoughts on that?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! Also, I was reading a forum for a girl of the similar height and weight that said 1,200 is not enough and she should bump it up to 1,500. Any thoughts on that?

What did you set your rate of loss to and how much do you want to lose? You can lower the rate and get a higher amount of calories if you feel hungry, and the lower deficit will help you retain muscle mass.
  • katereesekr9899
    Options
    It was at 2lbs but after reading the above comments I just adjusted to 1lb a week. I would like to be at 115-120 but I'm not really focused on weight as much as overall appearance and feeling. So I don't really care if I gain muscle if you know what I mean.
  • heybales
    Options
    It was at 2lbs but after reading the above comments I just adjusted to 1lb a week. I would like to be at 115-120 but I'm not really focused on weight as much as overall appearance and feeling. So I don't really care if I gain muscle if you know what I mean.

Wise choice on slowing down the weight loss - better to purposely do it, then the body get stressed out and force it on you anyway - usually causing mental stress then.

You won't have to worry about muscle gain at all for several reasons.

Woman, so not best hormones for it.
    Not doing a lifting program with progressive overload.
    In a diet.
    Not a lot of fat to lose.

That being said, a strength training program of some sort would certainly help in retaining what muscle you got, and help make it stronger.
    That way as the fat is lost - you got something to reveal and see.

And many times the look of a body doing strength training appears to have lost more than it really has in weight - you carry yourself better.
  • katereesekr9899
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Wise choice on slowing down the weight loss - better to purposely do it, then the body get stressed out and force it on you anyway - usually causing mental stress then.

You won't have to worry about muscle gain at all for several reasons.

Woman, so not best hormones for it.
    Not doing a lifting program with progressive overload.
    In a diet.
    Not a lot of fat to lose.

That being said, a strength training program of some sort would certainly help in retaining what muscle you got, and help make it stronger.
    That way as the fat is lost - you got something to reveal and see.

And many times the look of a body doing strength training appears to have lost more than it really has in weight - you carry yourself better.

I have been thinking about that! Do you have any recommended programs for beginners?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • redclaygirl
    redclaygirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out fitness blender. Lots of great free work out and a supportive community.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Keep in mind that the hormonal fluctuations associated with our menstrual cycles will affect water retention and inflammation which can seem to stall weight loss. I often find I will stay the same for about a week each month for the 2-3 days prior to and including my period, and drop the weight soon after it finishes. Weight loss really isn't a linear process, and the number on the scale is only one part of the picture.
  • sobiamer
    sobiamer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie, want your suggestions plz!!! I actually lost 3 kgs reducing my calorie intake to 1200 and doing exercise one 35-40 mins. But sometimes I skipped my lunch as I didn't want to eat bread/ rice. When I reduced my cal uptil 1000 I'm stuck. Even I started putting on weight
  • heybales
    Options
    sobiamer wrote: »
    I'm a newbie, want your suggestions plz!!! I actually lost 3 kgs reducing my calorie intake to 1200 and doing exercise one 35-40 mins. But sometimes I skipped my lunch as I didn't want to eat bread/ rice. When I reduced my cal uptil 1000 I'm stuck. Even I started putting on weight

Did you like read anything that was already written in this topic and many others just like it?
  • katereesekr9899
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the hormonal fluctuations associated with our menstrual cycles will affect water retention and inflammation which can seem to stall weight loss. I often find I will stay the same for about a week each month for the 2-3 days prior to and including my period, and drop the weight soon after it finishes. Weight loss really isn't a linear process, and the number on the scale is only one part of the picture.
    I weighed myself on three different scales and found out the brand new one I just bought is 3 lbs off. So I was actually 137. Stepped back on today after 3 days and I'm 134. I think you're right with the hormones, because it was that time of the month!
  • PeteG7606
    PeteG7606 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All that aside, if you want to burn more calories per hour, you need to intensify your workout. To burn more calories per you workout hour, walk a little less, jog/run a little more and further and pick up your pace in both. If you're comfortable, then you're not doing enough. Get out of Zone 2 and step into Zone 3 from time to time and get that heart rate up. Work your way into Zone 4. Research your workout zones based on your fitness level. Eventually, you can work your way into "tier" and "tempo" runs.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You haven't hit a plateau, Grasshopper. Keep your net calories at or slightly above 1200, be patient, and log your food accurately. Disregard such advice as the above message .
  • katereesekr9899
    Options
    Thank you all! All of this advice is much appreciated. I'm learning all of this for the first time, I have no prior experience with dieting or exercising. Freshman 15(+) is real!!