Sweating and chafing. Help!

Options
Kind of a gross topic, but I need help. My workouts often include walking my dog outdoors on hot days. I know that I can't change the fact that I sweat like a pig, but how do I keep from chafing between my legs? It hurts, and it makes my workouts shorter than they should be along with keeping me in misery after the workout is done. Any suggestions from fellow chafers?

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Lycra. Trousers. Also - try Lanacaine or something similar. I used to hate it - I always wore cycling shorts under skirts or other shorts to avoid the summer misery. Thankfully it's gone now but man I remember that. I really feel for you. Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i swear by cotton bike shorts...wear them under your normal shorts...I'm a sweating machine...and pit stick isn't just for the pits (I even put it under my rings so when I sweat, it doesn't cause a jewelery rash...but make sure you keep your sticks designated lol)...you can also get longer bike shorts that prevent sweat
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    they make products that you can use....
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Depending where you live, there are these things called comfort shorts. I swear by them, I used to have super super bad chaffing that would sting and meant I had to sleep weirdly to stop anything from touching! They are like the top part of a panyhose/tight.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    running shorts that wisk away sweat and/or desetin
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also chafe, so I always wear spandex capri's running, no matter the weather. You can also get some body glide, or similar product, to prevent chafing as well.
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Powder it up a bit down there and then put on either some longer shorts, or some workout capris. I don't wear shorts specifically for that reason. I am a pear shape, so most of my weight is in my lower half...So I know how it feels. :)
  • Tams_20
    Tams_20 Posts: 2
    Options
    Give bodyglide a try! I use it on my inner thighs and flabby arms when I go for runs. It's pretty sweat resistant and works wonders.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I use Lycra bike shorts under regular shorts. But running shorts will work just as well. The main thing you want is something that will whisk the moisture away from your skin.
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Vasiline!!!! It works wonders... or if you want to spend a little more money go to a running store and get some body glide!
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I wear one of the following to work out - and I have lived with rubbing "thunder thighs" my whole life:
    1) Yoga pants
    2) Champion work out capri pants
    3) Champion stretch capri bike pants

These are the ONLY times I wear capris. They usually make people w/ bigger thighs look super chunky or wide all the way down.
  • fireflyangel22
    fireflyangel22 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I always wear workout pants when I workout, but maybe the shorts underneath will help. I'll also have to give the body glide or deodorant a try.
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    I know its gross (and I apologize in advance), but I'm speaking from experience here and it sounds as if you may have a fungal infection. If it stings like crazy when you move around and if there is discoloration on your thighs or thereabouts, then that's probably it. So you may wanna go see your doctor and get it checked out.

As for preventing it. Try and keep the areas as dry as you can. Also, I don't mean to be presumptuous, but when I started showering daily instead of every 2-3 days, I haven't had a fungal infection since. And I apologize for even saying it (and I really don't mean to offend), but it's just something to think about anyway.
  • iameeviac
    iameeviac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My sister complains about her shorts not being the right type for running. She says she usually wears biking shorts under her shorts to keep her thighs from chafing. Whether you need to shave or just did doesn't seem to matter--it hurts either way, so creating some kind of slippery barrier between the surfaces of your skin seems like the best idea.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Desitin (in the baby department) works wonders to help heal up
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    How about under arm chafing? Now that I'm runnning 3-4 times a week, man my arm pits are sore! Honestly, of all the places to hurt while running!! Most of my workout clothes are sleeveless which is mostly the problem. I have 2 short sleeve tops (which I hate) that I'm currently using. Anyone have any tips (aside from run with your arms in the air - which not only looks daft but is actually bloody hard!! lol)
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    How about under arm chafing? Now that I'm runnning 3-4 times a week, man my arm pits are sore! Honestly, of all the places to hurt while running!! Most of my workout clothes are sleeveless which is mostly the problem. I have 2 short sleeve tops (which I hate) that I'm currently using. Anyone have any tips (aside from run with your arms in the air - which not only looks daft but is actually bloody hard!! lol)

I went through a stage of this which was absolute murder. Then I realised that my tops had an underarm seam which was causing all the problems. I now only wear cotton sleeveless tops (not running tops) with no seam there and I haven't had a problem since. Also, if it turns out the seams aren't the problem I'd recommend bodyglide. It's awesome!
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Buy some Body Glide and your life will be so much better. A&D helps with post chaffing.

http://www.bodyglide.com/