One meal a day + Shakes ??

Options
Anyone else trying one meal a day plan?
My week days: Vega One Shake @ 2 p.m.
Meat, veggies and rice @ 5 p.m. 2x Vega One shakes between 5-9 p.m. I went from 170 & about 28% body fat to 150 & 15% body fat in a few months - with lots of beer, pizza, burgers etc on the weekends. - I will never eat "3 squares" again.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds boring, but I like "3 squares". I used to think "3 squares" was boring, so I guess taste is not just individual, but about habits as well as situational, and highly subjective.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have found that shakes never fill me up and I am always hungry so eating all of my calories works much better for me.

If it works for you great but what is your plan once you get to your desired weight? While doing the shakes you have learnt very little about how to adequately feed your body in a sustainable way. Most just resort back to how they were eating and end up putting on weight and then some.
  • megansims1
    megansims1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Love 2 shakes and a meal. I find it really resets your outlook on food - food is fuel. I recommend Protein World Slender Blend. It fills me until lunch (or dinner) and it tastes good.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Tried it. Hated it. I like food (food is more than fuel. It is pleasure). I was NEVER satisfied when I did it, either mentally or physically.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I sometimes replace breakfast with a shake. The interesting thing is: while I am hungry long before lunch it is not a "it makes me hangry, dizzy and dangerous" type of hunger. I am unsatisfied, yes, but I am definitely physically fine. It's just a quest of determination.
    I also have replaced dinner with a shake, but that was more because I was feeling bad and would have eaten nothing, so I tried to get some more fuel into myself this way. Only one meal a day though? I think I did it once and survived but felt weak and unhealthy the next day.
  • garygtmm
    garygtmm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    megansims1 wrote: »
    Love 2 shakes and a meal. I find it really resets your outlook on food - food is fuel. I recommend Protein World Slender Blend. It fills me until lunch (or dinner) and it tastes good.

Thanks! I will give Slender Blend a try. The Vega shakes are good...but I'm always game for something new.
  • garygtmm
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    I sometimes replace breakfast with a shake. The interesting thing is: while I am hungry long before lunch it is not a "it makes me hangry, dizzy and dangerous" type of hunger. I am unsatisfied, yes, but I am definitely physically fine. It's just a quest of determination.
    I also have replaced dinner with a shake, but that was more because I was feeling bad and would have eaten nothing, so I tried to get some more fuel into myself this way. Only one meal a day though? I think I did it once and survived but felt weak and unhealthy the next day.

It isn't easy at first! It took me about 3 days to get used to the concept. I learned to accept that being hungry is not the end of the world. I also really like the freedom of not fussing over feeding myself. I eat whatever the heck I want now.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    So during the week you eat like 800 calories and then binge on weekends.
  • garygtmm
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    So during the week you eat like 800 calories and then binge on weekends.

I'd be dead by now at 800 calories a day! I'm at a deficit (1200-1300 calories) 5 days a week. Weekends I take on about 2000 calories (maintenance cals). I do not binge eat like I used to. If I'm working out, running the dog or competing with the horses I'll eat lots more.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What equine sports do you do?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    megansims1 wrote: »
    So that's how you're going to continue for the rest of your life?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like you are doing Intermittent fasting. I do one meal a day, but it's completely fasting for 23 hours, then eating one huge meal worth all my calories at once. If you are drinking shakes, that is considered a meal since it has enough calories to trigger insulin response, so actually you are not doing one meal a day, aka OMAD. I tried intermittent fasting, with eating window of about 6 hours, but I still grazed and snacked too much. Eating only one full meal (about 1500 calories ) in one sitting is so much more satisfying. Then I fast for the next 23 hours, no food or drinks except water, coffee, or plain hot tea. It's awesome.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Shakes never worked for me and I was always hungry. I got better results and felt much better with changing my eating over time. I think we have to not kill ourselves to lose weight.
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I do 2 shakes and a meal. More or less re-training to not look at food for comfort. I do not plan on living my life like this but until I can remove the emotion from food this has been the best way to replace that feeling.
  • garygtmm
    Options
    What equine sports do you do?

Mounted shooting and Extreme Trail.
  • garygtmm
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    So it sounds like you are doing Intermittent fasting. I do one meal a day, but it's completely fasting for 23 hours, then eating one huge meal worth all my calories at once. If you are drinking shakes, that is considered a meal since it has enough calories to trigger insulin response, so actually you are not doing one meal a day, aka OMAD. I tried intermittent fasting, with eating window of about 6 hours, but I still grazed and snacked too much. Eating only one full meal (about 1500 calories ) in one sitting is so much more satisfying. Then I fast for the next 23 hours, no food or drinks except water, coffee, or plain hot tea. It's awesome.
    This is what works best for me. If I was committed to preparing a proper 13-1500 calorie meal, I would stick to the OMAD plan. I usually end up on the road eating take out food, so if I don't top up with shakes I will probably get scurvy.