How many carbs can you have?

Options
I am trying to cut back on carbs but don't want to loss take it out completely. I set my gaol for 20% , but can't seem to stay under that. I am always over. I watch what i eat and make healthy dinners. But it seems everything has carbs. How many carbs should i consume in a day? Should i consume them i the am? Would love to hear your comments. Thanks heidi

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No need to restrict carbs if you are counting calories.

The reason low carb diets and low fat diets work is that they tend to decrease overall calorie intake. Since you are directly controlling your calorie intake, you don't need to use any other strategies.

Exactly. No need to make this any more complicated than it has to be. Just keep it simple for long-term success. <3
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you can't stay under 20% then 20% is too low for you. You can have as many carbs as you wish within your calorie budget. As long as your calories are on point you will lose weight.

It's preferable to make sure you get at least essential protein and fat values, though. These are important for hormone and muscle health. As a general rule for myself I try to get a minimum of 40 grams of fat and 70 grams of protein, and any calories beyond that can have whichever macros I feel like having. Carbs just fall where they fall for me, but tend to hover around 40-60% of my intake.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Like others when I'm losing weight I prioritise hitting or exceeding my protein goal (grams not a percentage).
    Ditto for fat which I also regard as a minimum, but I hit that without effort.
    Carbs (or in reality a combination of carbs, protein, fat) fill the rest of my calorie allowance for flexibility and enjoyment of my food.

When you eat your carbs is an irrelevance for most but before long duration exercise eating carbs before may confer some performance advantages. Unless you are doing endurance cardio that's majoring in the minors though.

Primary focus for weight loss is a sustainable calorie deficit. Eating the foods you like within the correct calorie allowance is a big part of making weight loss, and then maintenance, successful rather than hateful.

PS - fun way to illustrate why calories not carbs should be your focus. Huge number of carbs but a calorie deficit would have resulted in a net loss of weight.
    That was a very long cycle ride by the way!

7rp9ieh9k9na.png
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    hj_man7211 wrote: »
    I am trying to cut back on carbs but don't want to loss take it out completely. I set my gaol for 20% , but can't seem to stay under that. I am always over. I watch what i eat and make healthy dinners. But it seems everything has carbs. How many carbs should i consume in a day? Should i consume them i the am? Would love to hear your comments. Thanks heidi

What is your goal, to lose weight? Calories are the most important thing to monitor.

Eating carbs in the a.m. or p.m. doesn't make any difference.

Remember that carbohydrates are one of the essential nutrients (along wiith protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, and water). We need carbs. Our brains need glucose to function.

My MFP food diary says that yesterday I ate 202 carbs, mostly in the form of vegetables and fruit. I've had no problem losing weight and maintaining.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I have as many carbs as I want. :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd say as many carbs as you want - but then mine exceed 300g 5/7 days a week and nearly that much the other 2 days and I'm down 11lbs and maintaining/recomping
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I ate over 1000g of carbs on Friday and Saturday and still lost weight that week.

Carbs are not the enemy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I ate over 1000g of carbs on Friday and Saturday and still lost weight that week.

Carbs are not the enemy.

That sounds like fun! :D
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I can have as many as I want as long as I'm in my calories. Calories are king!
  • vjd317
    vjd317 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out IIFYM for more information on why lowering carbs is not the key to weight loss. It's calories in vs. out...Also I think a conscious effort to try to maintain muscle mass will make the process and end result a whole lot better.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I eat as many as I want and provided I stay at my calorie goal, I lose weight. My goal is set at 50% because that tends to be what I average out to but I truly don't care what it ends up being as log at I achieve my calorie goal.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Carbs give me the energy I need to do the things I love to do. I love them. Apparently I love fat just a bit more, according to my little pie chart, but I hit my protein goal, and everything else falls where it does.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I agree that low carb is not everything it is cracked up to be, especially since most of the vegetables and fruit I eat are broken down in MFP as mostly carbs with a little protein and maybe some fat. If you set your carb goal to 20% and are going over it most days, look at the break down of what you are eating, if you have lots of fruits and veggies do not worry, it when when you are going over in potato chips and French fries you may want to rethink. My carbs are set to 40% and I am a healthy weight plus carbs are the main source of energy for your body so if you do not eat enough you may become sluggish.