Measuring problems !!!!

Options
Any advice on estimating foods ? This time of year if I'm out I always once or twice a week eat out but trying to second guess how much the food is ! Similarly I have one take away a week and have the same problem don't get me wrong I'm strict all week this is only a few times that this happens but it's frustrating trying to workout what a portion of fries weight in a Restuarant any thoughts please

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    279270 wrote: »
    Any advice on estimating foods ? This time of year if I'm out I always once or twice a week eat out but trying to second guess how much the food is ! Similarly I have one take away a week and have the same problem don't get me wrong I'm strict all week this is only a few times that this happens but it's frustrating trying to workout what a portion of fries weight in a Restuarant any thoughts please

a lot of restaurants have calories online. or guestimate using whats in the food database.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For restaurants/take-away (God! ages since I've had a take-away) where I really can't find an appropriate database entry I pick supermarket version (I tend to pick the best quality version since these tend to be a closer taste match to restaurant food) and log 1.5 portions.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Accept that you're never going to be all that accurate when you can't weigh your food, and adjust as you go. I used to eat out several times a week, down to maybe once a week now, and I know that I've gotten more accurate over time because my rate of weight-loss roughly corresponds with my logged calories. I can look back at my earlier records and see where I was clearly not logging enough because I wasn't losing what I'd expect to lose. It just took time and practice. I rarely eat places that put calorie counts online, but I do try and use those as guidelines. And always round up! The worst that happens when you overestimate is you get hungry again sooner than expected, and then I just have a snack.
    279270 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great advice thank you