I need help creating a new plan last minute to do with a Calf Injury

Options
ryankevintomlinson
ryankevintomlinson Posts: 33 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'll try to make this short.

18 days ago I started a Vlog of me doing the Insanity program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1UV0sMFyL8
I take pictures every single day and record my workouts and weigh in on Monday's to track my progress. I did this as a Vlog to hold my self-accountable and make sure I finish.

Last night after finishing my workouts I went and played basketball for a few hours.

Unfortunately, I ended up tearing my right calf. It hurt and hurts bad. From what I have been able to gather it will take 4-6 to heal back.

BUT, I don't want to quick my fitness vlog. I still want to go ahead and finish my 60 day journey. So what I want to do is figure out a good plan to continue without using my calf.

I have a gym membership as well as bench press, dumbbells, curl bar, punching bag, pull up bar, etc at home.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tonight I am going to work on the chest for my vlog, but I need to figure out the best way to get my 6 days a week in without over training any muscle group since I can't have a leg day.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Setbacks stink. There's plenty you can do to keep your legs strong - leg extension machine, hip abductor & adductor machines, and you can work glutes & hams using a hip machine, if it has a thigh pad. If not, try barbell hip thrusts - just lift your toes by placing plates under them, to keep the calves from activating.

Avoid the leg curl machine, since the calf assists with knee flexion. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i can't stress the importance of letting injuries heal. Your vlog would be better off focusing on your injury, rest and rehab and less days in the gym. Its not gonna be of any use to anyone if its a vlog of you over pushing yourself. Be safe and responsible and send a good message to your audience by focusing on your healing.
  • ryankevintomlinson
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I def do want to let my injuries heal. I just don't want to quit altogether. I am searching for 6-days a week plans that I can do that DOESN'T involve my calf.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Since weight loss is more dependent on your consumption, focus on eating less. And as Sonya stated, rehab and rest matter more in the long run. If you want to keep some sort of physical activity up, try yoga instead. It still takes a lot of strength to do yoga, especially if you're not familiar with it.
    Injuries are part of the journey. I've had several and am dealing with an impinged shoulder now which limits the amount of weight I can move. But again I diverted my focus more to my eating and consumption to help offset some of the lack of physical activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i can't stress the importance of letting injuries heal. Your vlog would be better off focusing on your injury, rest and rehab and less days in the gym. Its not gonna be of any use to anyone if its a vlog of you over pushing yourself. Be safe and responsible and send a good message to your audience by focusing on your healing.

+1
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just set a good example, accept that your injury needs heeling time and that also takes a toll on your body and at least go down to 5 days a week, simply skipping leg day for now. You can always go back after everything has healed properly.
    There is no gain in overtraining other muscle groups just because you cannot do one.
  • ryankevintomlinson
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I accept I need time to heal, and I am fine making sure I don't use my calf muscle. I have been icing it every day, taking Epson salt baths, and in a few more days I'll start rehabbing it. They said to wait a week and a half before rehabbing it.

I don't see how it is setting a bad example to not quit my challenge and continue a modified version as long as I am not putting pressure on my calf?

I totally agree what I eat 80+ percent of the battle and I am very strict in that sense.

Doesn't look like anyone wants to help me figure out exercises I can do without using my calf. I'll just continue to research different ones each day and go from there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Doesn't look like anyone wants to help me figure out exercises I can do without using my calf.

It's more a question of people not wanting to facilitate exacerbating your injury.
  • ryankevintomlinson
    Options
    Doesn't look like anyone wants to help me figure out exercises I can do without using my calf.

It's more a question of people not wanting to facilitate exacerbating your injury.

Alright
  • ryankevintomlinson
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Setbacks stink. There's plenty you can do to keep your legs strong - leg extension machine, hip abductor & adductor machines, and you can work glutes & hams using a hip machine, if it has a thigh pad. If not, try barbell hip thrusts - just lift your toes by placing plates under them, to keep the calves from activating.

Avoid the leg curl machine, since the calf assists with knee flexion. :+1:

Thanks

• ryankevintomlinson
    edited August 2017
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    Why can't you just set a good example, accept that your injury needs heeling time and that also takes a toll on your body and at least go down to 5 days a week, simply skipping leg day for now. You can always go back after everything has healed properly.
    There is no gain in overtraining other muscle groups just because you cannot do one.

I'm telling my audience today in my video that I am switching to 5 days a week and taking 2 rest days instead of 1. I'm still trying to piece together workouts that won't affect my calf. I've been able to get quite a few things put together, but if you have anything you recommend I'd love to hear it. I'll look into to some yoga days