how to calculate juicing calories

Options
I have recently bought a juicer and am curious how to count the calories for the foods I use. Since onnly the juice is extracted and so much of the actual product is thrown away, I can't see that you should count it as the whole fruit/vegetable. Any ideas??

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Look up (fruit/vegetable) juice nutrition.

You're still better off eating the whole fruit or vegetable.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    May I ask why you bought a juicer? I am seeing posts daily. Is there a youtube documentary out there?
    I use a mixer like Vitamix. Easier to clean, and keeps the fiber (which is the healthiest part).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you bought a juicer? I am seeing posts daily. Is there a youtube documentary out there?
    I use a mixer like Vitamix. Easier to clean, and keeps the fiber (which is the healthiest part).

Juicing comes and goes. Every 2-3 months we get a bunch of juicing posts
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    It also might have something to do with (in my area at least) a bunch of juicing shops opening up. I had a post about juicing because I've gone and gotten juice twice and wasnt sure about the calories. So maybe after seeing these people want a juicer at home?
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I juice, I usually count the whole fruit (or whatever you are using).
    Like if I throw in 2 bananas into the mix + 4 cups of strawberries, I put in MFP 2 bananas and 4 cups of strawberries. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Felt8533 wrote: »
    I have recently bought a juicer and am curious how to count the calories for the foods I use. Since onnly the juice is extracted and so much of the actual product is thrown away, I can't see that you should count it as the whole fruit/vegetable. Any ideas??

Count the whole thing, but deduct the fiber if you are tracking fiber. The part you don't eat has few calories. The part in the juice has basically all the calories, all the sugar.

Which is fine if you love juice or won't consume adequate vegetables otherwise. I rarely consume juice since I don't find it filling and prefer to eat my vegetables and fruits (I emphasis these foods) or, occasionally, have them in a smoothie (tasty on a hot day).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Felt8533 wrote: »

The pulp you will be throwing out has all of the fiber but hardly any calories. I would log the whole fruit or vegetable and and create an entry with all the calories but no fiber.
  • Felt8533
    Felt8533 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »

I bought the juicer because I am in the process of TMJ treatment; which now is braces. So, not being able to eat properly is what prompted me to buy it. I do fruits in my smoothies and will boil potatoes or roast/grill veggies also. Just looking for variety...
  • Felt8533
    Options

Sorry for the delay...I hadn't been notified of replies.. I bought the juicer because I am in the process of TMJ treatment; which now is braces. So my teeth are too sore to be able to each most things. I was just looking for some variety and a way to get the fruits and veggies in.
  • Felt8533
    Options
    It also might have something to do with (in my area at least) a bunch of juicing shops opening up. I had a post about juicing because I've gone and gotten juice twice and wasnt sure about the calories. So maybe after seeing these people want a juicer at home?

My reasoning was TMJ treatment making my teeth too sore to eat most things. Just trying not to eat ice cream and pudding all the time! :)
  • Wd011000
    Wd011000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    https://juicerecipes.com/recipes/ this site lets you build juices and will calculate the calories. Just click on the build tab and make sure the calorie counter is set at juice and not solid.
  • Felt8533
    Options
    Thank you!
  • brucebolingjr
    brucebolingjr Posts: 3 Member
    Options

it's better to juice because in juicing, the nutrients gets absorb by the body within 15 minutes. also, it saves your body the work of digesting. but of course whether you take fruits and vegetables solid or liquid they are still better than junk foods

I agree with you that most people would benefit from eating more fruits and veggies, but if someone is trying to lose weight or maintain (if their tendency is to gain), whole produce is a better choice. Fiber helps us feel full, and digestion burns (a few) calories. The timing of nutrient absorption is largely irrelevant, except that slower absorption of carbohydrate is generally better for stable blood sugar and sustained energy.

it's better to juice because in juicing, the nutrients gets absorb by the body within 15 minutes. also, it saves your body the work of digesting. but of course whether you take fruits and vegetables solid or liquid they are still better than junk foods

I agree with you that most people would benefit from eating more fruits and veggies, but if someone is trying to lose weight or maintain (if their tendency is to gain), whole produce is a better choice. Fiber helps us feel full, and digestion burns (a few) calories. The timing of nutrient absorption is largely irrelevant, except that slower absorption of carbohydrate is generally better for stable blood sugar and sustained energy.

• brucebolingjr
    brucebolingjr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well my message got screwed up.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've suffered TMJ problems for nearly 15 years now - good luck with the treatment.
  • Felt8533
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I've suffered TMJ problems for nearly 15 years now - good luck with the treatment.

It's going very well! If you are still having issues, you should come see this doctor! He is the best in the world! He works with payments too! Dr. H. Clifford Simmons, Nashville, TN. Check him out!
  • ttawney
    ttawney Posts: 1 Member
    Options