Options
1235»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    But I just can't fathom people who plan things without including food.

And yet I wonder why people feel the need to include food in events. I've worked in offices where it is expected that there will be a plate of cookies or donuts or something on the table during the meeting, and I think ... why?

I also used to tell people that if they wanted to get together with me, or catch up with me, they could get on their bicycles and ride with me. :) Their suggestions were usually going out for coffee or something. :grin:

That social aspect of food intrigues and puzzles me. :)

You have to consider that food has been social as long as humans have been social. There's a reason it shows up in the Bible as "breaking bread together". In Genesis, the first people are FARMERS. I use this as an example of a historical text because it is one of the older ones known, but there are other ancient texts that also center on food and the social use of it; including cuneiform writings

Basically, the human need for food has by and large driven our need to be social. And thus the offering of food is the first offering of true aid, in meeting a direct physical need (even If you don't think you need food). And in most of human history, the meeting of people could almost guarantee that at least one party was hungry and in true need of sustenance. This is a deep-seated biological imperative.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Story time.

Back when Mrs Jruzer and I were engaged, I was invited to go along on a shopping trip with her and her mother to help pick some things out for the wedding. I was reluctant, so they sweetened the pot with the promise of a restaurant lunch at the conclusion of the trip. Sold!

After many hours of shopping, we were done. Now being very hungry, I asked where we should go for lunch. And they both laughed at me! "It's too late for lunch", they scoffed, as if that were the silliest question they ever heard. I was beyond pissed - they'd totally screwed me over!

I'm still resentful about this, more than 20 years later, and I occasionally still bring it up with my good lady wife. Don't get between me and lunch.

Over 10 years ago, my brother ate the leftover pizza I had in the fridge. I am not sure I have forgiven him yet.

As regards lunch, if I get deeply engrossed in something (especially statistics or shopping), I might delay lunch for a while. But no, I have never forgotten it.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't so much forget as I used to have an aversion to making any kind of home lunch (throwback to childhood I think. Home made lunch meant soggy sandwiches). So I would chug a load of coffee and feel like crap by mid afternoon. I wasn't overweight at that point but I had been before and I am now! I am learning to make provisions for a lunch I will eat now.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've never forgotten to eat. I've either been too busy or too tired.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I wouldn't so much forget as I used to have an aversion to making any kind of home lunch (throwback to childhood I think. Home made lunch meant soggy sandwiches). So I would chug a load of coffee and feel like crap by mid afternoon. I wasn't overweight at that point but I had been before and I am now! I am learning to make provisions for a lunch I will eat now.

I'm averse to soggy sandwiches too. Sometimes I take sandwich fixings to work so I can make it and eat it right away. It's much better that way.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    LOL...yeah!!! There's no way, I would forget about food EVER!!!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I never forget to eat. But sometimes I forget that I have eaten.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever. I cannot fathom how this is possible.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »

I'm averse to soggy sandwiches too. Sometimes I take sandwich fixings to work so I can make it and eat it right away. It's much better that way.

I seldom eat sandwiches at all now. Entirety of my school years just makes me think of soggy cheese and cucumber sandwiches with margarine. I'm scarred for life!
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I put it off constantly while I'm doing other things, but I've never forgotten. In fact I think about lunch from lunch time until the point that I eat it.
    When I had thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed the first thing I did upon waking up was eat
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If I'm very busy (driving, mad day at work) I'll often forget. But normally I'm watching the clock.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    If I'm programming, I have been known to miss meals because my awareness of anything except the coding puzzle in front of me disappears.

Well, yes, but ... you just Dew it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten hungry until it was so late that I decided to just wait for dinner, which I guess is sort of like forgetting to eat lunch. That doesn't happen often though because I don't eat breakfast.

I didn't have a weight problem for over 40 years, then I did, now I don't again.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    If I'm programming, I have been known to miss meals because my awareness of anything except the coding puzzle in front of me disappears.

Well, yes, but ... you just Dew it.

Every place I've worked has free food for engineers. Lots of junk, yes, but jeez, worst case some greek yogurt with extra protein powder mixed in hits the spot.
    'Forgetting' to eat, I still can't fathom, even if I'm busy....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    At one point forgetting lunch definitely contributed to my overeating, because due to busy schedules, I'd forget lunch often and then after 3-4 days, just go all out and overeat dramatically.

Putting myself on a feeding schedule helped arrest my weight gain at that point. Other thing at other times contributed to the remainder of my gain.
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I forgot to eat a lot in my 20's , I think it's just your bodies way of telling you you don't need to eat yet. I never force myself to eat if I am not hungry. I wasn't too thin or fat then so I didn't see a reason to mess with it.