Is no try only do...

Options
MarcA1218
MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
I am going to lose between 40-50 lbs over the next few months. Join me and we can DO this together! Feel free to friend me :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? I "only" had 50 pounds to lose, and it took me a little over a year. Just to make sure you know what you're in for.
  • MarcA1218
    Options
    Total I would be great between 50-60. Averaging about a lb a week now but would like to maybe average 2 lbs a week or even 3 if possible.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Took me a year to lose 40.
  • MarcA1218
    Options
    I understand as long as I can see weekly progress (even if just a little) it keeps me motivated. I know I set the bar pretty high but going to give it my best and if it takes me much longer but I can track progress I will be happy- thanks you- I figure shoot for the stars and even if I miss may still hit the moon. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MarcA1218 wrote: »
    Total I would be great between 50-60. Averaging about a lb a week now but would like to maybe average 2 lbs a week or even 3 if possible.

3lb a week is an unhealthy rate of loss
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Took me 9.5 months to lose 100 lbs (Maintaining for 10 1/2 months now).
    Everyone walks the way in his/her own speed.

The important thing is to be on the way, not the pace.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Options

Source?

Hard to keep up with this pace? Sure!
    Easy to fall of the wagon completely? Sure!

But unhealthy?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Source?

But unhealthy?

your body can only metabolise a certain amount of fat per day
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i've lost 142lb in 18months, thats about 1.8lb a week, but you will get plateaux which are always discouraging, my longest plateux was 5 weeks.... as Detritus_1965 said in the above comment is the important thing is to have started the journey..good luck with yours, mine continues!!
  • Rincewind_1965
    Options

Again: Source?

My personal average loss-rate was ~ 2.7 lbs per week.
    If having (or at least: wanting) to lose more than 30 lbs the loss will not be limited to fat. You'll lose muscles too, simply because your body doesn't need them anymore when having to lift less weight.

• Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. You've got the attitude part spot on! :)
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    MarcA1218 wrote: »

It's possible. I did the math the other day, and I've averaged 2.75 pounds per week, including all the times I went off the rails and basically went nowhere (or even in the wrong direction) for a week. I've already lost my 60+ but still going. Looking for another 30 at least. Good luck to you on your 60!
  • MarcA1218
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments- it would be cool to check back in after like 6 weeks to see where everyone is at. Feel free to friend me I am always looking for more friends to join the journey!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Slow and sustained weight loss helps to keep skin from sagging -- which happens when you lose weight too fast.

Ref: http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-minimize-loose-skin-during-weight-loss-1696145766

Also, watch your macros. Are you just cutting calories or are you planning to "eat differently" as well as cut calories?

I chose to eat differently and cut calories...

I use the following macros:

45% protein / 40% healthy fats / 15% sugar and carbs and lost about 40 lbs over a 6th month period.

I knew from my own past experience that carbs and sugar are the devil. If I eat one sweet thing, then, I can't stop. I know that if I eat simple carbs (like bagels / white potatoes) my heart will race. If I eat complex carbs (like canned white beans) then I feel okay, but I don't really lose weight. I have restricted sugar and carbs before and knew that by restricting them, I am not craving them and I feel better.

Check out keto / paleo websites (and MFP forums) for some ideas on food macros and recipe ideas.

Ref: http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

BTW, people are very passionate about either loving or hating keto / paleo. When I did it, I incorporated the "lifestyle" changes one meal at a time over three weeks. Breakfast during week one; Breakfast and lunch during week two; and, Breakfast, lunch and dinner during week three. (I didn't really get the "keto flu" doing it that way.)

I was also compliant in terms of calories and carbs/sugar about 75% of the time and I still lost weight and continue to lose. I also kept my weight loss / maintenance calories the same.

Note:

The Weston A Price foundation states that people need 100 g of carbs per day to keep the thyroid in good working order.

Ref: https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/why-we-need-carbs/

Good luck!
  • thekevinbroach
    thekevinbroach Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Source?

But unhealthy?

I'm down 63lbs in 92 days. Everyone is different...
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Source?

But unhealthy?

I'm down 63lbs in 92 days. Everyone is different...

Awesome work, well done :smile:
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

If having (or at least: wanting) to lose more than 30 lbs the loss will not be limited to fat. You'll lose muscles too, simply because your body doesn't need them anymore when having to lift less weight.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615

Approximately 31 kcal/lb of fat per day. Note that the study was a mathematical interpretation of a bunch of pre-existing experimental work and not a new set of raw data. In practice there is likely to be a pretty wide spread of what is achievable for an individual but then again, that is irrelevant unless you have the ability to accurately and frequently determine LBM and FFM.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615

Approximately 31 kcal/lb of fat per day. Note that the study was a mathematical interpretation of a bunch of pre-existing experimental work and not a new set of raw data. In practice there is likely to be a pretty wide spread of what is achievable for an individual but then again, that is irrelevant unless you have the ability to accurately and frequently determine LBM and FFM.

:flowerforyou:
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 8.5% body fat (that will put me right under 20%). I'm not to concerned with my weight as I know I will slim down as I lose fat, but I might get frustrated seeing the scale numbers move up every now and again due to muscle gain.
  • MarcA1218
    Options
    True... body measurements and BMI/ Boday fat are good ways to see improvement if you think the weight is platoing or if you see you are gaining but still working hard.