Getting over a "cheat week"?

2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    So I was on holidays last week. To say I cheated was an understatement. I ate everything in site, ate out most nights with some sort of fast food. Ice cream, chocolate you name it I ate it. I'm to scared to even look at the scales, my only saving grace was I did continue my weight lifting program during this week long binge.

I just feel like I've done so much damage, have you ever done this?

i always eat and drink whatever i want on holiday... the majority of the weight gain is water so its off again within a couple of weeks.

i never stress about it or consider a holiday 'cheating' or the weight gain 'damage'.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,367 Member
    I just had a fortnight's holiday and ate out every day, drank too much, only exercise was walking... I was 7lb up when I got back, 5 days later after getting back to normal 5lb of that is gone - as long as you don't continue the all-you-can-eat mindset there's no problem - and it was a great holiday:)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Yeah I do something like this every few months whether its a week away, a long weekend, or like the past few days I've had a nasty cold so went just over maintenance for a bit until I felt better, usually the scales will give you a water weight bump that will drop after a week then you can access any real damage the week after, I see MFP as a lifestyle change not a continuous uninterrupted diet, holidays and letting my hair down or just taking care of myself and not worrying too much about hitting calorie goals every so often are part of my lifestyle, as long as most of the time I'm hitting my deficit I usually still get a loss that month.

Just get back on the wagon and don't worry about overcompensating, it's done just crack on, plus it'll probably all just come back off within the fortnight. :)
  • rlarkin591
    rlarkin591 Posts: 39 Member
    I had a cheating weekend. Didnt go over by much Sat and Sun but Friday destroyed my calorie goal. Back at it today though. I, too, am scared to get back on the scale but I know I will have to do so in the next day or two. Actually was kinda good to eat some favorites but I am feeling guilty, which is good because I never cared before.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Well at least you made some muscle out of it I'm sure! You probably didn't do as much damage as you think, and your body as well as your mind probably appreciated the higher calories! You probably know as well as I do that most of the "weight" you put on is going to be mostly water weight, as a lb. of fat is about 3500 calories. There is nothing you can do about it now, and there are MUCH worse things that can happen in life, so just look at it as something you needed and enjoyed and get back to your usual! Life goes on!
  • havesomejoe
    havesomejoe Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2017
    Dude, all the time! It's something you'll gradually eliminate over time.

At some point during your life you made food your escape. You'll have to find a healthier replacement. Start improving your life EVERYWHERE.
    [post edited by MFP mods]
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Get back on track asap and don't step on the scales till 2 weeks have gone by. This is the best way to avoid giving yourself a heart attack.