Do you take wipes to the gym?

Options
The gym I go to doesn't have wipes for the equipment. They have a thing that dispensers some sanitizer on a paper towel, but there is only one and it's on the other side of the room from the equipment. I'm thinking about getting some Lysol wipes to take with me. Would that be weird?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to doesn't have wipes for the equipment. They have a thing that dispensers some sanitizer on a paper towel, but there is only one and it's on the other side of the room from the equipment. I'm thinking about getting some Lysol wipes to take with me. Would that be weird?

Nah, but I don't have to as my gym has paper towel dispensers and some kind of a spray to apply thereon, at convenient spacing. I do bring my own "golf" towel, a small towel, for my personal use and to place on benches but that's just because a sweat a lot.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Do you take wipes for use on public transportation, in stores (what do you think lives on the credit card machine at the Walgreens pharmacy pick-up), banks, etc. If you do, it makes sense for you. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I use hand sanitizer if I've been touching things and I use the wipes provided at the grocery store to clean the cart handle.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Not too weird, but unusually diligent. I would probably just grab a bunch of the paper towels, spray them down, and bring them with me from station to station.

You might also mention to the staff that people might be more apt to use the supplies if they were more conveniently placed.

And thank you for thinking about this. It drives me nuts when people don't wipe down the equipment after use.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your gym. I go to the YMCA in my area, there are several much nicer, higher end gyms in my city and this Y caters to a very real? group of people. Let me tell you I have seen some weirdness (and I love it). I wouldn't look twice at someone who brought their own wipes. I would just be happy they were cleaning up after themselves, and as long as they were not awkwardly staring at me while I stretch after my run, I doubt I would even notice them. There is usually something much more entertaining/irritating going on (I'm looking at you little old lady who likes to call your daughter and have very loud long conversations with her while sitting still on the recumbent bike and glaring at everyone).

But who knows, if your gym caters to a more judgy group than mine you might get a few weird looks
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Do you take wipes for use on public transportation, in stores (what do you think lives on the credit card machine at the Walgreens pharmacy pick-up), banks, etc. If you do, it makes sense for you. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

If you really need to clean something, the gym has cleaner you can walk to the other side of the room and use. After all you are there for exercise.

This.
    There are so many germs in the world, that frankly the gym is the least of my worries.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Wait, are we talking about wiping down the equipment before, or after? We all seem to be making different assumptions. It's policy in most places to wipe it down after use. Wiping down before is less common and not required. Which one are you asking about?
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My gym (that I use rarely because it's 25 min drive away but free!) has wipes so I don't bring my own but I do wipe it down before and after because I've watched most people NOT wipe it down. Usually the wipe is still wet from the first use. If it didn't have wipes, I'd bring my own... those things get gross! I also keep sanitizer on my purse though.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Wait, are we talking about wiping down the equipment before, or after? We all seem to be making different assumptions. It's policy in most places to wipe it down after use. Wiping down before is less common and not required. Which one are you asking about?

For both, actually.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I would if my gym didn't have any.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I saw a program recently which swabbed and laboratory analysed gym toilet seats and gym equipment.
    The gym equipment had far more bugs, many of those bugs came from people clearly not washing their hands after visiting the toilet.

But unless you have open wounds on your hands and/or are in the habit of putting your fingers in your mouth (or up your nose?) then it's not really any different to the big wide world.
    Dirt and dirty people are everywhere.

I've seen many a person drop a deuce in the stall and walk right past the sinks to the exercise floor.

Agree, it's just like the rest of the world.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I saw a program recently which swabbed and laboratory analysed gym toilet seats and gym equipment.
    The gym equipment had far more bugs, many of those bugs came from people clearly not washing their hands after visiting the toilet.

But unless you have open wounds on your hands and/or are in the habit of putting your fingers in your mouth (or up your nose?) then it's not really any different to the big wide world.

I've seen many a person drop a deuce in the stall and walk right past the sinks to the exercise floor.

This might be my biggest pet peeve at the gym...
    I don't care if you're going to the pool, to take a shower, whatever. Wash your freaking hands after you use the toilet!!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

tenor.gif
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Definitely weird but if you're that big of a germaphobe then who cares?
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Mental note: take lysol wipes to the gym. Thank u.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Guess I'm weird.

I'm not a germaphobe per se but I bring a small spray bottle filled w/rubbing alcohol w/me to the gym to disinfect surfaces on equipment that I expect to touch before use, as well as those surfaces that I have touched afterward.

Just spay and allow it to air dry. Not sure if it actually does any good but it doesn't do any harm and gives me peace of mind. Prefer doing this over using gym provided sanitizers which often are not conveniently located.

I also wear gloves, mainly for comfort but they are fingerless, so they do not provide much if any germ protection.

Don't use the alcohol spray anywhere else.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My gym has wipes. However, if I haven't seen the person before me wipe, I take a couple of wipes, first wiping my hands after use and then cleaning the machine
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Eh. I rarely remember to wipe down my bench. I also have zero issues sharing a bench with multiple people at the same time.

Now, if I bleed on a bar I make sure to take care of that.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Eh. I rarely remember to wipe down my bench. I also have zero issues sharing a bench with multiple people at the same time.

Now, if I bleed on a bar I make sure to take care of that.

This.

I rather have a bit of someone's else's sweat on me than nasty chemicals.