Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Eh. I rarely remember to wipe down my bench. I also have zero issues sharing a bench with multiple people at the same time.

Now, if I bleed on a bar I make sure to take care of that.

This.

I rather have a bit of someone's else's sweat on me than nasty chemicals.

I've been going to HS, college and commercial gyms for over 40 years. The wiping frenzy has just shown up in the last 15-20 or so. Never had any issue with gym germs before or after the wiping era.

I'll wipe off after I'm done, but sure not cleaning before and after.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    A different take on this: (I know. I'm always saying that.)
    I wear weight lifting gloves for... well, weights... But, I've found that it's a great reminder to stop touching your face so much. You can't do anything about droplets unless you suit up! Ha! But most people get sick from touching an infected surface then touching their mouth/nose/eyes.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Twenty years ago, people thought the earth was flat and there were nine planets in the solar system.

Don't think there has been a statistically significant reduction in gym infections in the last 20 years though. As others have said, don't be picking at your face and you'll be fine without an armada of cleaning supplies.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I thought that catching a cold could be due to touching the same surface as the person that has the cold. A cold is a germ and a virus can be passed on in the same manner. So, for those of you that don't mind sitting in somebody else's sweat puddle be aware that others do not want to catch what ever it is you have. If everyone wiped the equipment after use then it would not be necessary to wipe the equipment before and after. However that would be in a perfect world.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Twenty years ago, people thought the earth was flat.

And given figure I saw recently, in some geographies significant proportions of the population still believe it, along with sky fairies and the ebils of vaccination.

Anyway, back to the original question, the gym provide material so it would seem unusual to take your own.

For me, the only time it would become tricky would be a bike/ run brick where I'm getting off the WattBike and on to a dreadmill in quick succession. Doesn't make it impossible though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »
    I thought that catching a cold could be due to touching the same surface as the person that has the cold. A cold is a germ and a virus can be passed on in the same manner. So, for those of you that don't mind sitting in somebody else's sweat puddle be aware that others do not want to catch what ever it is you have. If everyone wiped the equipment after use then it would not be necessary to wipe the equipment before and after. However that would be in a perfect world.

Your skin is a very effective barrier.
    If you aren't licking the equipment or licking your fingers/hands it's not really a problem.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »

Who said we go to gym having anything?

I have been going to gym for 35 years+.

I also have a autoimmune disease so my immune system is taxed. Don't worry, it's not infectious.

I can count on one hand how many times I've been sick in that time because I don't touch my eyes, nose, or mouth without washed hands.

Like mentioned above, this wipe everything craze has just started in recent years .

Just curious, do you wipe down the door handles you use at gym after using them?
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Twenty years ago, people thought the earth was flat and there were nine planets in the solar system.

The Earth is flat. Haa.