My Macros

Options
I told the app my goal is to lose weight. I currently weigh 262 lbs and I would like to get down to 240 lbs. I put the amount I would like to lose per week 2 lbs. They calculated my macros as the following:

Carbs: 50%
Fat: 30%
Protein: 20%

If my goal is to lose weight, why is my carbohydrates at 50 percent? In the past I have always been told 1 gram of lean protein per 1 kg of body weight. They have my protein goal at 94 grams per day which doesn't seem like a lot at all. Does anyone know why this is?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Also, @seansta5 your description of '1 gram of lean protein per 1 kg of body weight' misstates the (What am I supposed to call this? Bro-science? Common wisdom? Rule of thumb?) case. It should be stated as 1 gram of protein per 1 kg of lean body weight.

I only care to get to or above the default protein macro. I also want to get to the default fat macro, but my priority is to get to the protein number. Carbs just happen. It happens that today I made a pot of stuff with rice and quinoa and alligator. My carbs are high today. Tomorrow my carbs will be low. Carb ce-ra
  • seansta5
    seansta5 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The % breakdown is the default breakdown. You can choose whatever split you like. That said, carbs don't make you fat, or make you unable to lose weight. Sticking to your calorie goal is what matters for weight loss. Some like higher protein, or higher fat, others like higher carb - experiment with what works for you for satisfaction and satiety.

I personally prefer higher protein, especially in a deficit, and go with 0.8g of protein per lb. I'd suggest looking at the protein and fat goals as minimums!

@livingleanlivingclean I will admit I haven't experimented with the Macros yet. I was doing high lean protein as well but I noticed the meals became hard to adhere to. I would become exhausted after eating 250 grams of protein everyday and then I would have to work out tired which I didnt want to do. Also, I should mention I am a Type 1 Diabetic so I am not sure if that would change the situation any.

Does MyFitnessPal calculate Macros for you or do you recommend another app that would calculate my Macros for me based on information I give?
  • seansta5
    Options
    Also, @seansta5 your description of '1 gram of lean protein per 1 kg of body weight' misstates the (What am I supposed to call this? Bro-science? Common wisdom? Rule of thumb?) case. It should be stated as 1 gram of protein per 1 kg of lean body weight.

I only care to get to or above the default protein macro. I also want to get to the default fat macro, but my priority is to get to the protein number. Carbs just happen. It happens that today I made a pot of stuff with rice and quinoa and alligator. My carbs are high today. Tomorrow my carbs will be low. Carb ce-ra

Thank you!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    seansta5 wrote: »
    The % breakdown is the default breakdown. You can choose whatever split you like. That said, carbs don't make you fat, or make you unable to lose weight. Sticking to your calorie goal is what matters for weight loss. Some like higher protein, or higher fat, others like higher carb - experiment with what works for you for satisfaction and satiety.

I personally prefer higher protein, especially in a deficit, and go with 0.8g of protein per lb. I'd suggest looking at the protein and fat goals as minimums!

@livingleanlivingclean I will admit I haven't experimented with the Macros yet. I was doing high lean protein as well but I noticed the meals became hard to adhere to. I would become exhausted after eating 250 grams of protein everyday and then I would have to work out tired which I didnt want to do. Also, I should mention I am a Type 1 Diabetic so I am not sure if that would change the situation any.

Does MyFitnessPal calculate Macros for you or do you recommend another app that would calculate my Macros for me based on information I give?
    That's overthinking, and MFP generally discourages overthinking. Just eat food you like and stick within your calories. That's all it takes to lose weight, but losing weight demands that you do that. Doing all sorts of hard and unnecessay things when you have something hard and necessary to do, is not recommended.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I told the app my goal is to lose weight. I currently weigh 262 lbs and I would like to get down to 240 lbs. I put the amount I would like to lose per week 2 lbs. They calculated my macros as the following:

Carbs: 50%
    Fat: 30%
    Protein: 20%

If my goal is to lose weight, why is my carbohydrates at 50 percent? In the past I have always been told 1 gram of lean protein per 1 kg of body weight. They have my protein goal at 94 grams per day which doesn't seem like a lot at all. Does anyone know why this is?

with 22lbs to lose, you should be aiming for a pound a week, max.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

"Working out tired" is more likely a result of too few calories rather than macro split.
    Maybe rethink if 2lbs/week is sustainable and appropriate?

If it's impacting your workouts then you need to think if that trade off versus speed of loss is right for you.
    Suck it up and persevere for 10 weeks or have an easier time of it for 20 weeks....

You do realise you are supposed to eat back exercise calories too I hope? Otherwise you are turning your selected 1000/day deficit into an even larger deficit.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    rough math - assuming 35% BF (although you may be higher) - LMM is 171lbs (from 262lbs) - so if you go with protein of 1g/LMM then 171g, if you go for 1g/GOAL LMM (then 20% BF of 240) = 180g protein

fat - .4-.6g per LMM - 70-100g fat

then fill in the rest with carbs

carbs aren't the devil - as long as you are under your calorie goal, then you will lose weight
  • seansta5
    Options
    rough math - assuming 35% BF (although you may be higher) - LMM is 171lbs (from 262lbs) - so if you go with protein of 1g/LMM then 171g, if you go for 1g/GOAL LMM (then 20% BF of 240) = 180g protein

fat - .4-.6g per LMM - 70-100g fat

then fill in the rest with carbs

carbs aren't the devil - as long as you are under your calorie goal, then you will lose weight

I am probably about 25% body fat right now.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    I opted for the high side, but honestly it won't change your goal overly much - but at 260ish pounds - I'm going to hypothesize you are higher than 25%
  • seansta5
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

"Working out tired" is more likely a result of too few calories rather than macro split.

If it's impacting your workouts then you need to think if that trade off versus speed of loss is right for you.
    Suck it up and persevere for 10 weeks or have an easier time of it for 20 weeks....

You do realise you are supposed to eat back exercise calories too I hope? Otherwise you are turning your selected 1000/day deficit into an even larger deficit.

I have Type 1 Diabetes so my metabolism is already slow as it is and I feel as though I am carb sensitive so I do not want to be loading up on carbs if I dont have to. What do you mean by eating back my exercise calories? I also referenced myself working out tired when I was eating 2,700 calories per day. Maybe it could have been the amount of lean protein I was consuming but it was a strict diet and very bland. It was extremely hard to adhere to this type of meal plan. My goal was to get abs and remains my goal. I am not trying to enter a Mr. Olympia contest
  • seansta5
    Options

That's overthinking, and MFP generally discourages overthinking. Just eat food you like and stick within your calories. That's all it takes to lose weight, but losing weight demands that you do that. Doing all sorts of hard and unnecessay things when you have something hard and necessary to do, is not recommended.

Thanks for the tip. Spare the counseling please. MFP discourages it.
  • seansta5
    Options
    I opted for the high side, but honestly it won't change your goal overly much - but at 260ish pounds - I'm going to hypothesize you are higher than 25%

Im 6'6 so why would I be over 25% ? Lol
  • deannalfisher
    Options

I have Type 1 Diabetes so my metabolism is already slow as it is and I feel as though I am carb sensitive so I do not want to be loading up on carbs if I dont have to. What do you mean by eating back my exercise calories? I also referenced myself working out tired when I was eating 2,700 calories per day. Maybe it could have been the amount of lean protein I was consuming but it was a strict diet and very bland. It was extremely hard to adhere to this type of meal plan. My goal was to get abs and remains my goal. I am not trying to enter a Mr. Olympia contest

MFP calorie recommendations are built on eating back workout calories - the initial calories given only include daily activity and NOT purposeful exercise; so eating back a portion of your workout calories ensures that you are maintaining adequate nutrition for what you are doing to your body
  • seansta5
    Options
    I have belly fat I want to lose. Lower abdominal visceral fat. I have a large frame. I will get my body fat measured today at the gym and let you know. I may be 27% max but i highly doubt I would be that high.
  • seansta5
    Options

MFP calorie recommendations are built on eating back workout calories - the initial calories given only include daily activity and NOT purposeful exercise; so eating back a portion of your workout calories ensures that you are maintaining adequate nutrition for what you are doing to your body

I will be working out as well and I plan on doing so with the calories they have given me which should put me at more of a deficit. I may increase my protein post workout but thats about it